Talk

Advanced search

To serve a takeaway to dinner party guests tomorrow?

(77 Posts)
TheDevilWearsPrimark Tue 21-Oct-08 16:49:23

Taking into account the fact that they all are wonderful cooks and always serve the most delicious dinners for guests.

Something has come up meaning I'll be working for most of he day and the last thing I'll feel like doing is shopping and cooking.

Or am I just being a lazy slattern and should go shopping and do the prep tonight?

CountessDracula Tue 21-Oct-08 16:50:05

yes you are a lazy slattern

scorpio1 Tue 21-Oct-08 16:50:26

you could make something tonight to just heat up tomorrow?

CountessDracula Tue 21-Oct-08 16:50:52

Cook something simple with nice ingredients, you don't have to spend hours over it!

TheDevilWearsPrimark Tue 21-Oct-08 16:51:44

But I had grand plans, and hate deviating. Takeaway seemed like a good get out, but it would be wrong wouldn't it.

TrinityLovesHerVampireRhino Tue 21-Oct-08 16:52:05

what would you get??

kebabs?? no dont do it

chinese? oh go on, people wont be there to judge your cooking skills

LittleOneMum Tue 21-Oct-08 16:52:06

Take-away all the way. You know it makes sense. Who CARES? Save your energy for something like getting really drunk on the night instead or something. You can get really fab take aways now.

TheDevilWearsPrimark Tue 21-Oct-08 16:52:07

Any ideas lovely ladies?

scorpio1 Tue 21-Oct-08 16:52:56

Beef in red wine
Coq-au-vin

Hell, even a nice cottage pie.

BroccoliSpearedThroughTheHead Tue 21-Oct-08 16:53:01

Hmmm... I occasionally do a curry takeaway on the last night when we have people staying, but we live near Bradford, so curry is practically on the tourist 'to do' list.

My instinct is that you should get cracking tonight.

compo Tue 21-Oct-08 16:53:08

chicken casserole made today, heated up tomorrow with crusty bread

scorpio1 Tue 21-Oct-08 16:53:17

im sure you wont be expected to do loads as you have had to work, etc

LadyGlencoraPalliser Tue 21-Oct-08 16:53:31

It's wrong and you know it. OTOH, you can cheat without resorting to takeaways - M&S Just Cook decanted from packaging and tarted up a bit would be better.

OsmosisBOOnana Tue 21-Oct-08 16:53:33

make something tonight that tastes better on night 2. ie curry / casserole / anything gloopy then only requires re-heating.

I personally wouldn't mind as such, but couldn't promise I wouldn't gossip about it!

TheDevilWearsPrimark Tue 21-Oct-08 16:54:25

It would be thai, or maybe something from deliverance.

Heebeejeebee Tue 21-Oct-08 16:55:03

I've made this before for guests and its dead easy - Nigella's slow roasted chicken and garlic

compo Tue 21-Oct-08 16:55:11

why do't you rearrange to a day when you're not working
or a spag bol and garlic bread doesn't take much doing

OsmosisBOOnana Tue 21-Oct-08 16:55:37

nigella has a v good yellow fish curry recipe which I often use and re-heat. Normally I can't stand the woman, but this time she gets it right

TheDevilWearsPrimark Tue 21-Oct-08 16:56:31

I did cottage pie last time.

What if I did a chcken tikka which I could prepare tonight, leave to marinate then order in rice, naans and sides etc?

ForeverOptimistic Tue 21-Oct-08 16:56:41

I have been known to serve Thai food from our local restaurant and ordered takeaway from Caffe Uno. I always passed them off as my own and. blush

TheDevilWearsPrimark Tue 21-Oct-08 16:57:30

Fish curry is just wrong for me.

I like the look of the chicken though.

Carmenere Tue 21-Oct-08 16:57:56

Nooo just do something easy tonight, casserole, coq au vin or even thai curry will all be better if left over night and apart from anything else it costs loads to order takeaway. cooking yourself will half the price.

lulabellarama Tue 21-Oct-08 16:58:24

Why not get lots of nice things from a deli -cured meats, cheeses, that sort of thing. Serve tomorrow with some really good bread and buy in a nice cake for pudding.

I'd be happy with that.

ForeverOptimistic Tue 21-Oct-08 16:58:29

Where did that random and. come from? hmm

BloodyStranglingwithBling Tue 21-Oct-08 16:59:24

Assuming, as it's a wednesday, that this is not some super posh, complex dinner party with your boss, his wife, and three potential investors for a new business...

get the takeaway. Honestly, these are your friends (I assume) and I think they'll appreciate that you've been busy and can't do more. You can jazz it all up by making sure it's served nicely, providing good/plentiful (depending on your friends grin) booze and if you feel really bad, by providing something home made for a starter/canape/dessert.

And if you ARE doing takeaway don't skimp on the extras - eg if it's Thai, get the prawn crackers, the spring rolls, the soup, etc as well as the main curries. And think about buying delicious Thai ginger tea to serve after too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now