Talk

Advanced search

To not want to be my friends personal shopper!

(7 Posts)
Ashantai Tue 21-Oct-08 16:39:23

I work in a large toy shop and last year i was inundated with requests to buy my friends christmas presents cos i work there!

It was little comments of "ooh so and so has seen this pressie on tv, could you buy it for me and i'll pay you back"

It was getting so i had to get there early just to buy everyones stuff cos they couldnt be arsed to get it themselves!

Its that time of year again and the requests have started. AIBU to tell them to go buy the presents themselves?

compo Tue 21-Oct-08 16:40:05

just tell them your not allowed to under new conditions at work

differentWitch Tue 21-Oct-08 16:55:39

do you get discount? are they asking because of that? I know that if I use my staff discount for anyone other than myself/dh I could face instant loss of that privilege and a formal warning.

TheArmadillo Tue 21-Oct-08 17:00:20

I don't think you are being unreasonable if it is taking up that much of your time. Are these people who would go out of their way for you?

I'd go with compo's idea.

MorrisZapp Tue 21-Oct-08 17:04:31

YANBU

I get a lot of this too - I don't work in a shop, but I do work in town and my friends and family all know I'm a demon shopper. I think they think that I like doing it for other people too - as if!

But far worse is my friends' bewildering idea that I can help her by doing internet searches at work for her (new jobs for her partner, cheap flights for her weekend away) as I'm 'good at that'.

Makes me wonder if these people have a different google to the one I have?

Flightattendant2 Tue 21-Oct-08 17:07:05

I think YANBU - tell them you're not allowed to. It puts you in an awkward position with work anyway. They might think you're taking liberties. It isn;t fair on you.

I had a friend who started asking me to sell loads of things on ebay for her...and her friends...and her family...it just got too much so I moved house grin

MorrisZapp Tue 21-Oct-08 17:11:11

OMG ebay!

I have a friend who keeps asking me to flog her old tat all the time.

I have politely declined but I know she's like 'grrrr' because I am only willing to take the time and hassle to flog my own stuff.

Sometimes you want to ask these people if they have lost the use of their fingers or something!

And they have the cheek to look annoyed if they don't get megabucks from their shitey old rubbish as well!!!!!!

AAAARGH!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now