Talk

Advanced search

To be cross with people who don't make their children wear helmets when they are on the backs of their bikes?

(7 Posts)
twofalls Tue 21-Oct-08 11:46:00

I know it is none of my business and I never normally post on this topic but I did actually feel quite cross this morning when i saw 3 people with toddlers on the backs of their bikes without helmets.

AIBU to be think this is really quite irresponsible?

deanychip Tue 21-Oct-08 11:52:30

no, i agree, its like when i see people in cars with the kids not strapped in or when the driver is smoking with the kid in the back of the car.
Gets my blood boiling.

Pawslikepaddington Tue 21-Oct-08 11:55:01

I did this two nights ago as afterschool had forgotten to pick up dd's helmet from her peg in school, and mine doesn't fit her properly, but kept to the back roads and went on the pavement blush. Sometimes it is out of necessity, but 99.99999% of the time it is bad.

misshardbroom Tue 21-Oct-08 12:06:28

I think it's appalling, but it also annoys me out of all proportion when I see a family out cycling, with the children all helmet-ed up, and the adults without any sort of cycle helmet.

Fine, we all look a pillock in a cycling helmet and fine, you're a grown up and you can make your own decisions. But it just smacks of 'do what I say, not what I do', and I don't think it sets a good example.

Sorry, going off the thread but had to get that off my chest!

Pawslikepaddington Tue 21-Oct-08 12:09:10

That bugs me too, don't worry-was talking to a mum who was complaining that dc wouldn't wear helmets, and said, "well, of course I don't wear mine, but I have to go to WORK after this" hmm

twofalls Tue 21-Oct-08 12:09:18

I agree actually misshardbroom, that annoys me too but thought I better not go on too much grin

Sorry paws, hope I haven't made you feel bad smile

Pawslikepaddington Tue 21-Oct-08 12:11:25

Oh no, we are avid helmeteers, and there was nothing I could do as school was closed and afterschool club is further away from school than our house anyway, so no offence taken! It was not choice but necessity. I take it with me in the morning now so I know that I always have it grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now