Talk

Advanced search

to be damn annoyed at being fobbed off when I am a victim of Internet fraud

(29 Posts)
cheltenhamgal Tue 21-Oct-08 10:20:46

I checked my online balance yesterday, knowing that there was just the rent money in there and there were two transactions which I knew full well I hadn't done. I called the bank and they confirmed that it was from a site called Play.com, which I do have an account for but I haven't yet made any purchases with. I called Play.com and they managed to stop one parcel going out but one had already been despatched. The total was £168.00, my bank are saying that because it was my debit card and not a credit card that it should be Play.com and Play.com are saying it should be my bank. I have told the police but I seem to be banging my head against a brick wall between the two. My rent was due today and at the moment I have no way of paying it.............does anyone know the law on this ? I have tried looking online but it is a jungle out there ! I can't understand how a website can profess to having a secure site but somehow someone hacked into my account, guessed my CCV number and changed the delivery address etc

pingping Tue 21-Oct-08 10:24:17

Most likely someone that works for Play.com that have done this Have you cancelled your card?

Its down to play.com to refund your card and your Bank to look into the fraud.

I have been a victim to many times with online fraud someone was using my bank account to launder money hmm are you with the Halifax by any chance as they are the worst for online fraud.

cheltenhamgal Tue 21-Oct-08 10:28:02

hi ping ping, that was my thought this morning that it was an employee. They have put a stop on my account at Play.com and Natwest have cancelled my card.
Oh dear, did you manager to get much back ?

pingping Tue 21-Oct-08 10:41:13

Yeah I would think its an employee as they have access to your details. unless your using a computer that isn't firewalled or if your internet is Wireless and open.

All the internet fraud I have managed to get my money back on but with the money launder they were putting the money in my account and taking it out via online banking Halifax froze my bank for 2mths it was a pain couldnt access my money and had to prove that I didn't know about the funds going in and out.

I would speak to play.com and ask them to refund you and if they insist that your bank has to pay then ask for a letter explaining this. But keep on at them else your never get your money back.

Waltzywotzy Tue 21-Oct-08 10:48:23

That is terrible
I have just google 'fraud play.com' and the top 3 or 4 are other forums with members that have had similar experiences as you.

cheltenhamgal Tue 21-Oct-08 10:55:29

thank you waltzywotzy I shall take a gander, I used the pc at work to register so you would imagine that all the protection would be there as they stop us accessing certin sites etc

DaphneMoon Tue 21-Oct-08 10:56:27

Have you checked with the bank that when the amount was applied for, the CORRECT ccv code was actually given. I just cannot understand how someone could make a guess at this and get it right. Have they authorised a transaction without checking the details are correct.

NoNickname Tue 21-Oct-08 10:59:19

If I recall correctly, there have been a few threads on here about fraud from play.com. Sounds very much like a dodgy employee to me.

NoNickname Tue 21-Oct-08 11:04:51

It has just prompted me to log in and change my credit card details that are stored on there. For some reason, I can't find any way of deleting my card or my account, so I have changed the details so that they are incorrect and so that if anyone tries to use the information, they won't be able to.

NoNickname Tue 21-Oct-08 11:08:33

Good nes! Just got this email back from them:
------
Dear Customer

Thank you for your recent order with www.play.com

At this time we are unable to process your order further as the card details you have entered appear to be incorrect and cannot be verified.

Please can you check you account and ensure that the following details have been entered correctly:

Credit card number
Valid and Expiry dates
Three digit security code (this can be found on the signature strip of your credit card)

We will then attempt to re-process your original order. You do not need to resubmit your order.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused to you in this matter and thank you for your patience and valued custom.

Kind regards

Play

------

So they obviously check credit card details even when there isn't an order. All very dodgy. Will be asking htem to delete my account.

cheltenhamgal Tue 21-Oct-08 11:23:31

ermmmm yes that doesnt sound right does it, I have just gone onto google and there are forums about play.com fraud. It usually happens after someone has changed their cc details. The problem I have is that mine was a debit card not a credit card so am not covered by the usual rules

DaphneMoon Tue 21-Oct-08 11:24:51

OMG that's seriously dodgy. Are you sure someone is not trying to order something. Good idea about changing your details. Ha Ha that showed them. Bet you feel better now. Can you email them back and tell them to feck off?

pingping Tue 21-Oct-08 11:37:40

That sounds like a dodgy email Nonickname We get loads like that asking for account details etc at work contact Play and ask them if they sent it out.

cheltenhamgal if its a work PC then it should be secure I bet you anything its someone that works there have you contacted the police

FourArms Tue 21-Oct-08 11:44:37

Surely Play.com would know what address the parcel was going to? Presuming that it wasn't yours?

cheltenhamgal Tue 21-Oct-08 12:03:44

when I logged onto my Play.com account yesterday after calling the bank, the despatch address with part of an order waiting to be sent out was there for all to see. It was an address in rainham, essex and a very dodgy sounding name. So how on earth did someone add in a delivery address other than mine

cheltenhamgal Tue 21-Oct-08 12:06:55

and yes pingping I contacted the police. I am going to contact Play.com again as I really don't feel that they are doing all they can to protect my personal information. My CCV number isnt stored in the profile but you need it to verify identification when you change any details, the delivery address was changed

clayrethechildslayre Tue 21-Oct-08 12:11:32

reading this i just checked my account with them and my card details is my old card details so they wont be ablke to use it i'm not going to change it or order form them again

DaphneMoon Tue 21-Oct-08 12:14:16

I still can't see how they guessed the CCV number, I think that must be the fault of your bank.

BalloonSlayer Tue 21-Oct-08 12:47:08

I have had my card used fraudulently recently.

I rang because like you I suddenly found I had a LOT less money that I should have had.

The bank passed the details on to their fraud department. They would not give me my money back before they had investigated, but they did increase my overdraft by the value of the dodgy transaction so that I had enough money to live on.

After a couple of weeks I was sent a form by the fraud dept where I had to circle the payments which were frauds and then sign to confirm this. I got the money back immediately. I don't know what else will happen. Like you, I wondered if it was an inside job (ie someone at the bank) for reasons I will not go into here.

Obviously my debit card had to be cancelled and with the new debit card came a "terms and conditions" booklet which stated that if it is proved that a fraud has taken place you are only liable for up to £50. But I have not had to pay £50.

So, in a nutshell you need to get back to the bank, say that your card has been used fraudulently, it has been reported to the police, you want them to investigate and in the meantime you need some money. Don't take "oh you have to talk to Play.com" for an answer. Play.com might have asked the bank for your money, it's your bank who gave it to them without your consent and presumably without the proper security code. It is absolutely the bank's problem.

If you get no joy from the person you speak to, ask to speak to a supervisor.

What with one thing or another recently, I have been on to my bank a lot (I can do telephone banking). I would say that out of the last five things I have asked them to sort out for me, in the case of four of them I was given the totally wrong information the first time I asked. I mean basic stuff, like being told I couldn't do a foreign money transfer over the phone, I'd have to write a letter. Phoned back to ask what exactly to put in the letter - told: oh you can do it over the phone. Two days later tried to transfer some money over the phone to an account with the same bank, in the same country, and the bloke was adamant that I couldn't do it over the phone. Etc.

So please try and try again. You probably just got someone who doesn't know their arse from their elbow.

Good luck.

IllegallyBrunette Tue 21-Oct-08 12:52:38

Have you been into your bank or spoken to someone over the phone ??

My card was recently used fraudulently. Someone made 3 transactions to orange pay as you go, to a toal of £125.

I rang Barclays and they were useless, didn't even cancel my card.

I went into my branch and a fantastic lady managed to sort it all out. I did have to claim the money back but I got it back after about 7 days.

batters Tue 21-Oct-08 12:54:53

been there recently, not with play.com but Tesco's.

It is your bank's responibility to sort this out. I bank with Cahoot. I informed them of the fradulent use, they sent me a form to complete, which I did. I returned the form and a few days later the money taken from my account re-appeared. The bank has credited me with the money whilst they investigate.

HaventSleptForAYear Tue 21-Oct-08 12:56:50

I agree with Balloonslayer.

I have had this problem (but in France).

My bank initially said that as my card was not insured it was my loss.

But I reported it to the police and they told me that as long as the card was in my possession (ie not stolen), it was up to the BANK to ensure the security of the card.

They printed out the law for me and I sent it to the bank, who refunded the money (but not the euro or so overdraft fee).

Interesting to see Play.com mentioned - I had shopped on there just before my fraud happened too but I was never sure.

My card was used on an online gambling site.

cheltenhamgal Tue 21-Oct-08 14:40:15

it is so frustrating being passed from pillar to post, I called Play.com at lunchtime and the only way they can refund me for the part of the order which wasnt despatched is if I open up a new account with them ! so I plan to use an account which never ever has any money paid in but is used for one direct debit to go out.
I haven't been into the branch as I am at work but may do so if I dont have any joy at the weekend
thanks for all your suggestions

cheltenhamgal Tue 21-Oct-08 16:25:57

bump bump

HaventSleptForAYear Wed 22-Oct-08 11:00:59

Play will do nothing for you - they are not obliged to.

Your bank are obliged too - they are the ones who are suppposed to ensure the security of your card.

They should refund you, and then if they want to investigate Play they can, but it's up to them to do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now