Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to think showing Robin Hood to the whole primary school was inappropriate...

(22 Posts)
deco Mon 20-Oct-08 20:36:26

1 - why are they showing films on a random monday?

2 - some of the 4yr olds were terrified

(not my school btw )

wessexgirl Mon 20-Oct-08 20:37:06

Not the Disney Robin Hood then?

deco Mon 20-Oct-08 20:39:37

no apparently had 'real people' in it

(friends dd )

Icanseethesea Mon 20-Oct-08 20:39:56

Funny you should mention it - ds got to watch 'the Lion King' today...hmm

We put it down to the fact that headteacher is away for the week...

Do you mean 'Prince of Thieves'? That one is very scary in places.

deco Mon 20-Oct-08 20:41:17

we don't actually know which version. none of the parents were informed beforehand, my best friend's dd came out of school sobbing at half 3 and told her mum she was frightened of the sherrif of nottingham

Icanseethesea Mon 20-Oct-08 20:45:22

sad

LittleBellaLugosi Mon 20-Oct-08 20:49:07

It must have been the one with Alan Rickman then, he would most certainly frighten small children

RubyRioja Mon 20-Oct-08 20:52:43

I would be appalled - there is an attempted rape scene towards the end in the ALan Rickman version.

I do hope not that one!

Tidey Mon 20-Oct-08 20:57:14

I really hope it wasn't that version. I thought it was rated 12? In which case, none of the children are old enough to watch it in a primary school. That witch character is very frightening, it has someone having a hand cut off, thee a lots of people being killed with swords... highly inappropriate in every way.

wessexgirl Mon 20-Oct-08 20:58:56

Actually, if it is that version, it's PG - I've just checked my copy of the DVD.

There is no way I'd want my 5 y.o. dd to watch it though. She'd have nightmares about that witch, and the Sheriff, for sure.

zandy Mon 20-Oct-08 21:39:00

it's free films for children day at local cinemas. our juniors watched prince caspian for free at the local cinema. perhaps your film day was related to this?

nell12 Mon 20-Oct-08 21:43:07

They should only be showing U rated films in a Primary school... to show a PG then parents permission should be sought first.

GhostlySinCity Mon 20-Oct-08 21:51:16

But I've never seen the ocean. Some of the children at school may be the same.

deco Mon 20-Oct-08 21:57:12

maybe it is related to this film day thing which is possibly why the whole school were watching.

the problem is that none of the parents were informed before hand, and according to my friend's dd, she didn't tell the teacher she was scared because they had been told they were not allowed to talk. poor girl is not even 4 and a half yet

do you think it is worth raising it with governors/lea/ofstead?

what teacher in their right mind thinks that showing robin hood to 4 yr olds is a good idea hmm

LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 20-Oct-08 23:10:15

Ask which version was shown first. Then check their policy. Most schools have a policy of only showing U rated films. If your school does not a letter to the governing body, requesting that it adopt such a policy will be in order.

pingping Tue 21-Oct-08 10:02:02

GSC what do u mean you have never seen the ocean.

YANBU I would speak to the teacher and try and find out what film they watched?

If it is the Alan Rickman version I would complain that witch scares me I am nearly 25 blush

Bubbaluv Tue 21-Oct-08 10:08:27

Pingping, she writes that in every post - nutter! hmm

pingping Tue 21-Oct-08 10:19:41

LOL bubbaluv I have to agree with you GSC is nuts

WalkerBurnie Tue 21-Oct-08 11:01:22

Agree with Lady Glencora. Poor children

deco Wed 22-Oct-08 19:01:13

so..spoken to my friend today, who has spoken to head teacher and it turns out not as awful as we all thought.

was a play not a film. Her dd was still very upset tho

Trafficcone Wed 22-Oct-08 19:03:55

Nothing like jumping to conclusions on the say so of a very small child is there!

Blu Wed 22-Oct-08 19:10:19

Wet play.

Wet play accounts for a lot of random dvd showing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now