Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to take back Clarks toys-in-the-heel shoes after six weeks?

(18 Posts)
ListersSister Mon 20-Oct-08 16:27:10

Bought a pair of these for DD at the start of term. Had no choice to get these as they were the only style that were 'closed in' rather than just straps.

DD has obviously played with the toys, but not much tbh. However, the sole of the shoe now has an obvious ridge in it where it lifts up, plus the whole inner sole seems to have slipped sideways. DD refuses to wear them, and I can't say I blame her - they are uncomfy when I put my hand in, let alone to walk on.

I intend to take them back dcomplain they are not fit for purpose. They have obviously not been made sturdy enough to cope with the fact that they will have a bit more fiddling around with than normal shoes. DD has worn them for about 6 weeks though.

So, AIBU?

TheArmadillo Mon 20-Oct-08 16:28:30

YANBU.
I wouldn't make a big thing of the fiddling, I would approach as there isn't enough support for her to be wearing them without the toys in and that is what has damaged the shoes.

choosyfloosy Mon 20-Oct-08 16:31:27

Six WEEKS? of COURSE complain. If you dislike complaining (I do), just approach the assistant on the basis that s/he will be just as shocked as you are that these shoes are unwearable so quickly. Worth having the right legal buzzwords from the Office of Fair Trading website or whatever, but I'm sure they will want to replace the shoes or give you your money back.

mumof2222222222222222boys Mon 20-Oct-08 16:31:56

YANBU. they are not fit for purpose and therefore contrary to Sale of Goods Act. They should repair (may not be practical, replace or refund).

FYI I took a pair of high heels back to Joes teh other day. Have had them about 5/6 months, but not worn much. I don't know name for it but something has gone and teh heel keeps bending. Jones said they would give me a full refund / replacement to original value if I provide receipt/bank statement.

mumof2222222222222222boys Mon 20-Oct-08 16:32:40

oops Jones.

ListersSister Mon 20-Oct-08 16:47:10

Ooh, consensus! That must be a first grin
I am not worried about complaining as I feel I am in the right. I suspect that I will not be the first to do so either.
However, I suspect they may try to blame my dd for using her shoes too much lol!

loobeylou Mon 20-Oct-08 16:48:01

Yes these shoes are awful. I had thought Clarkes were above "gimmicks", like the free toy in the cereal idea. I too was really annoyed when these were the only pair of shoes that would fit DD. (so they said at least!!) She did not even play with the toy much but the sole was just not solid enough. Totally daft idea!

Smithagain Mon 20-Oct-08 16:52:48

We had the same experience, but in DD's case it only took her two weeks. The flaps started sliding sideways within a few minutes of her putting them on.

We have superglued them shut. I couldn't be bothered with the agro of complaining. But I would be very, very interested to hear how you get on, if you do!

As far as I'm concerned, six year old girls do fiddle with stuff, and gimmicky shoes need to be designed to withstand fiddling.

AnarchyAunt Mon 20-Oct-08 16:55:37

We have some for DD that we found (almost new!) in a skip, presumably thrown away as they had this problem.

We put a fleecy insole in, and they are still comfy three months of hard wear later.

But yes, you are within your rights to take them back.

ListersSister Mon 20-Oct-08 21:01:46

Superglue, fleecy insoles, skips - what a resourceful lot!

I shall mention that I know I am not alone in finding these shoes substandard.

I hate clarks shoes, but Startrite never seem to be a good fit, and I don't want to pay even more for shoes.... (and no, I can't do supermarket ones as dd has such narrow feet they just don't work)

I do resent the whole toy gimmick thing though - makes me mad!

FAQ Mon 20-Oct-08 21:05:05

maybe it's because I took the toy out as soon as we bought the shoes, but DS2's shoes are still fine (just went and double checked in case they'd gone downhill since I was looked grin). Bought at the start of this term too.

RubyRioja Mon 20-Oct-08 21:06:52

I did - again after about 6 weeks to v good indep retailer. They had had lots of complaints and gave full refund.

I did make sure I gave them a good polish and plucked the twigs out of the velcro fasteners first blush

Tas1 Mon 20-Oct-08 21:08:36

My Friend and I had the same problem, we both took them back and got a refund. The assistant said they had had alot bought back for the same reason. hmm

So what I did this time was to take the toys out straight away and glued the sole down, so far, touch wood, they have been fine.

Twelvelegs Mon 20-Oct-08 21:08:36

Clarks are very good at refunding and replacing. They will be able to see by the wear on the sole how old they are if you have no proof of purchase. Their customer care was always brilliant.
I do like Clarks but that's because many of my family members are shareholders and so I get 33% off!!!

TskullsScreaming Mon 20-Oct-08 21:11:25

Yes complain! But I wish you luck. Their customer relations is terrible imo.

I could mutter darkly about Clarks for hours.

ListersSister Mon 20-Oct-08 21:24:40

Ruby - good point lol! They are quite scuffed actually, but I make the dc's wear them till they fall apart or are too small, so am not returning them just because they look worn. I am returning them because they are crap shoes lol!

TSkulls - just wondering whereabouts in the country you are if you have unfriendly Clarks staff hmm

Cornflakemum Mon 20-Oct-08 21:30:19

Yes - we had the same problem! Also I think the design of the shoe means that the heel is deep, but the back of the shoe at the ankle shallow (IYSWIM) - DS1 complained that they kept slipping. In the end we dumped them and bought new ones angry.

TskullsScreaming Mon 20-Oct-08 23:49:28

I am in the south Lister.

Problems with Clarks have been 'detachable' flowers on dd's sandals breaking easily time and again. Took them back twice. Not terribly helpful.

Waiting nearly 25 minutes with dc in an empty shop whilst two assistants stood doing nothing in the doorway. 'We are here for the adults shoe section' The only other assistant was tied up with a customer. I was in there to spend the better part of £100 on 3 pairs of shoes hmm. Wrote to head office about that.

Taking back school shoes that looked truly awful after about two wears. All our fault apparantly.

The endless choice on the shelf but not in stock scenario. So you buy what they have not what you choose.

Clarks and I have a terrible history. I rarely go there any more, I get too worked up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now