Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

ds went in the front

(23 Posts)
GhostlySinCity Mon 20-Oct-08 14:15:07

on the way home from his friends house, friends mum let him sit in the front seat without a booster seat. He's 8. Aibu

MadreInglese Mon 20-Oct-08 14:16:27

Depends how tall he is (see MamaG's thread)

At 8 my leggy DD was well over 135cm

scaryfucker Mon 20-Oct-08 14:16:57

Depends how tall he is as to whether it is actually against the law.

However, I would be mighty pissed off, and that would be the last visit.

mazzystartled Mon 20-Oct-08 14:17:16

are you being u to
go ballistic?
or
not care much?

unclear from op

ComeOVeneer Mon 20-Oct-08 14:17:46

If they don't have a spare car seat then yes YABU. However as parents of children who have friends I think you should (as I do) have sare booster seats for such occasions.

GhostlySinCity Mon 20-Oct-08 14:18:10

I am annoyed but not sure if I should be or not. Her son is always sitting in the front so maybe she doesn't realise?

ComeOVeneer Mon 20-Oct-08 14:18:22

And as a one of it isn't illegal.

GhostlySinCity Mon 20-Oct-08 14:18:44

I'm more annoyed that he sat in the front rather than not having a booster.

ComeOVeneer Mon 20-Oct-08 14:20:32

Are There any Exemptions?
There are some exceptions that allow children 3 years - 135cms tall to travel in the rear of a car using an adult seat belt. These are:
In a licensed taxi/private hire car if the right child restraint is not available
For genuine emergency situations over a short distance if the right child restraint is not available
Where two children already sitting in seats in the rear prevent a third seat fitting in.
Children under 3 years may also travel in the rear of a taxi unrestrained if no child restraint is available.

Don't Get Caught Out
Every week around a quarter of families with children under 15 rely on grandparents to look after their children, including picking them up from school. These new laws apply to such trips just as much as to regular car journeys with mum and dad so make sure that anyone transporting your children is aware of them.

What Happens if I Don't do it?
Anyone caught not using the correct form of restraint will be liable to an on the spot fixed penalty £30 fine, if the driver is a persistent offender, or the case is taken to court this may rise to £500.

Actually it doesn't really come under the heading of genuine emergency so I think it is actually illegal.

malovitt Mon 20-Oct-08 14:22:55

Were all the available seats being used, with older/taller children sitting in the back?

puppydavies Mon 20-Oct-08 14:23:39

is there a problem with sitting in the front? i didn't know. dd1 who's 5 goes in the front all the time (in proper seat of course) as it stops her getting car sick. eek.

GhostlySinCity Mon 20-Oct-08 14:26:28

an older boy was sat in the back. DS apparantly asked if he could sit in the front and she just let him.

mrsruffallo Mon 20-Oct-08 14:31:01

Where does he sit on your shopping day?

GhostlySinCity Mon 20-Oct-08 14:38:39

I do it while he's at school.

If we're going to the beach he likes to sit in the front as he likes to be the first to see the ocean. But we do use a child seat. Obviously if DP is with us he sits in the back.

loobeylou Mon 20-Oct-08 14:39:26

I would also be concerned about whether there was a passenger air bag or not. Not that I would WANT there to be one, they have been shown to be VERY DANGEROUS to children even in very low speed collisions, where you would expect everyone to walk away relatively unscathed, they have caused serious injury and even death.

No YANBU to be cross - but did you check what the arrangements would be. If you know she allows her own child to do that you should have stressed you did not want yours to, or provided a booster if it was going to be necessary.

chopchopbusybusy Mon 20-Oct-08 14:40:46

I thought you'd never seen the ocean?

chunkychips Mon 20-Oct-08 14:40:51

I have let ds sit in the front seat in his booster, dp told me it was illegal (don't know) so have stopped recently, but it was a bit of a treat for him and not on long journeys.

mrsruffallo Mon 20-Oct-08 14:41:31

Maybe it is your DP smearing shit on your bins for making him sit in the back?

Cosette Mon 20-Oct-08 14:56:48

It's ok for children to sit in the front seat - as long as they are in an appropriate seat for their age/height. You shouldn't have them in the front seat if there's an airbag though - as that's very dangerous when they're smaller.

puppydavies Mon 20-Oct-08 15:20:02

okay thanks, no airbag, phew.

loobeylou Mon 20-Oct-08 16:35:18

I did a quick google about airbags/children (this being MN was expecting to have to defend my claims!)

If you google "air bag kills child", you get some terribly sad stories.

I cannot stress enough that ON NO ACCOUNT should children, whether babes in rear facing car seats or older children using boosters or just adult seat belt, travel in a front passenger seat with an air bag.

if you know anyone who is doing it, please tell them. they might be a bit miffed with you, but you might just save their child's life!

and i don't agree with it being a "treat" for a child to sit in the front. The bottom line is they are less safe there! So it should only be in genuine emergencies/no other option.

misshardbroom Mon 20-Oct-08 17:06:24

oohh scary scary stuff. Have been letting dd ride around in the front with me (on her booster, but with an airbag) just to give her a break from the boys annoying her. Will stop at once.

While on the subject of scaring the crap out of myself about child car safety, does anyone know anything about the advisability or otherwise of young children going in open top cars (with the top down, albeit in regulation carseats / boosters)??

WayneAteASlob Mon 20-Oct-08 17:09:26

GSC - how many DSs do you have?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now