Talk

Advanced search

Not to tip the hairdresser?

(42 Posts)
coochybottom Mon 20-Oct-08 12:49:01

Having your hair done now is soooo.. expensive I find. Mine grows really quick and so I go every 5 weeks. I dont tip the hairdresser thou. I show my appreciation at Xmas and get the salon big tin of chocs to share but that is it. AIBU?

honestfriend Mon 20-Oct-08 12:53:58

depends...
i don't tip as the owner does mine....

and they have 2 salons and are not short of dosh!

I thinking tipping is out dated- employers should pay a decent salary- i think tipping is patronising, but that is just my opinion!

It seems to be saying "Thanks for doing a good job" when in fact I EXPECT a good job, and if not, I won't go back!

BalloonSlayer Mon 20-Oct-08 12:55:13

. . . if you have not come out with an "accidental" mohican by now then I suspect YANBU

nicebarnett Mon 20-Oct-08 13:34:01

I agree with honestfriend. Does make you feel a bit awkward though. How much should you tip anyway? A cut&dry costs me £38. Thats a lot of money every 6 weeks!

pamelat Mon 20-Oct-08 13:36:58

I never tip hairdressers. I probably should really as I always have a junior and cut and dry only £15 (trying to save money!).

auntyspan Mon 20-Oct-08 13:37:25

i tip when I have a style change, or she's really gone out of her way to advise me or taken notice of what I've said (I'm a bit fussy!)

I don't tip as a regular occurrence, nor do I tip the girl who does my waxing etc. I might get her a voucher for Xmas or something - the thing is where do you stop? Tip the nursery staff who look after DD? Tip the train driver for getting me to work on time? Tip DH for an extra-special shag?!

ChloeAnderson Mon 20-Oct-08 13:43:08

I don't tip. It costs a fortune as it is.

Saying that, when I worked in a hairdressers in my teens... I hate people who didn't tip...

coochybottom Mon 20-Oct-08 13:45:51

I am not sure how hairdresses get paid. Also are there any Americans out there? Am I right they tip everyone? Mind you, probably get better service than us Brits!smile

FlirtyThirty Mon 20-Oct-08 13:53:08

I don't tip. I have never really understood this practice to be honest. My haircut is expensive and my hairdresser reasonably well paid for doing it. Besides, I do not have the extra cash to tip her.

mayorquimby Mon 20-Oct-08 15:18:48

yanbu.
i don't tip anywhere.

Witchka Mon 20-Oct-08 15:26:47

I don't always tip them either. I find it embarrassing. And then I feel awkward about whether to tip the hairdresser, and also give a smaller tip to the person who's washed my hair. Are you supposed to do that?

spookyrookie Mon 20-Oct-08 15:28:39

I pride myself on being a reasonable tipper but I rarely tip at the hairdressers.

There is some weird convention that if your hairdresser is the salon owner or a senior stylist (?) then you should tip the girl who washed your hair instead a couple of pounds.
I can never remember who washed my hair and I'm not going to try to dig out change whilst my hair is sopping wet.

Also I think its meant to be 10% which I think is quite high. My haircut costs £33.00 so sometimes I will pay £35.00 and tell her to keep the change. If I am getting highlights done then I will tend to tip £3 -4 because of the time it takes.

Thank goodness we don't live in America. When I stayed in Vegas I had to tip someone a dollar to "hail" a cab, from the row of 20cabs that were already queued up outside the front door hmm

Tortington Mon 20-Oct-08 15:29:20

i dont go frequently but its the only place i do tip - apart from if we have a nice meal

Carmenere Mon 20-Oct-08 15:30:27

I always tip, a fiver to the stylist and a couple of quid to the hair washer. My hair is very thick and I get mesh highlights which take hours. A fiver is only about 5 per cent and I only go once every 3-4 months.

TheDevilWearsPrimark Mon 20-Oct-08 15:30:58

I don't tip my hairdresser, but whe I had a good regular one I'd buy her champagne or posh chocs as a gift at christmas

MascaraOHara Mon 20-Oct-08 15:32:37

I don't tip anyone who gets a salary

I do buy my hairdresser a christmas present though, just a box of chocs or wine or summet

mumeeee Mon 20-Oct-08 15:34:17

I don't tip hairdressers.

JammyOLantern Mon 20-Oct-08 15:37:38

Only time I have tipped at the hairdressers is when I'd had a couple of plaited/beaded braids in and I wanted them taking out - I was just going to ask her to snip them off (they weren't thick and I have LOADS of hair so would not have been noticeable) but she insisted on spending the time to unwind them. It took her ages so I gave an extra fiver. But as the place I go to now charges a fortune for colouring because, yes it does take time, I won't tip for that because they are already charging me for it.

TeeBee Mon 20-Oct-08 15:43:08

I don't tip because I always book the senior stylist and end up paying around £100 for cut and colour. I suspect she is getting a good-ish wage, and I can't justify spending any more). The few times I have used a junior who was very good (one was brilliant and only used to charge £20 for a haircut) - I used to tip £10.

cantpickyourfamily Mon 20-Oct-08 15:43:25

I really don't like tiping I feel I have payed enough why should I pay even more.

And at my hair dressers they try to embarress you into tipping as you pay the receptionist at the till then the stylist stands at the door to beg for a tip say good bye.

YANBU

mayorquimby Mon 20-Oct-08 15:45:17

"I won't tip for that because they are already charging me for it."

exactly the same reason i won't tip anywhere.charge a reasonable price and pay a reasonable wage and we can get rid of the whole outdated notion of tipping all together.surely that's what the minimum wage was brought in for.

nigeltuffnell Mon 20-Oct-08 15:47:07

I dont tip at the hairdressers because it costs so much for cut and colour. my stylist washes my hair too and tells me not to tip.

Always tip good waiters though.

Bumblelion Mon 20-Oct-08 15:49:25

I agree about not tipping. For example, if I get a taxi, why should I tip him/her because I never tip the bus driver/train driver who drives me to work every day.

Liffey Mon 20-Oct-08 15:49:33

I get the owner to do mine. He does a fabulous job, no more expensive than the other senior stylists, and I give one euro to the washer. I'm broke though. I'm way more broke than the people I ahve to tip usually.

Liffey Mon 20-Oct-08 15:51:38

Yes, particularly reluctant to tip taxi drivers as there's no personal relationship there. I just feel ripped off and broke when I tip a taxi driver.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now