Talk

Advanced search

To leave the heating on if i'm not a home?

(16 Posts)
Ashantai Mon 20-Oct-08 10:29:55

Oki i'm the type of person who wears about 3 layers of clothes and is still cold!. The rest of my family could survive the arctic in tshirts and shorts! grin

After coming back from taking the kids to school i have an hour before i have to leave to go to my nursery lunchtime job so i turn the heating on as i leave the house so that in 2hrs when i come back, its toasty and warm smile

Unfortunately my OH works locally so sometimes comes home and turns the heating off!

AIBU to want to come home to a warm house?

FAQ Mon 20-Oct-08 10:30:40

If you can afford it then YANBU.

Carmenere Mon 20-Oct-08 10:31:41

YABU it is a waste of energy.

missingtheaction Mon 20-Oct-08 10:32:28

don't you have a timer so you can programme it to turn on half an hour before you are due home?

I just got my latest fuel bill - gas and electricity usage up 50% in just a month now the weather is colder/nights are drawing in etc etc. So cutting back on heating big time!

GooseyLoosey Mon 20-Oct-08 10:33:12

YANBU - just daft. Its a lot of money and resources when an extra Cardi would do as well.

ranting Mon 20-Oct-08 10:33:15

Umm don't you have a timer on your thermostat?

Why not use that, radical suggestion, I know.

expatinscotland Mon 20-Oct-08 10:33:45

if you have money to burn.

SalLikesCoffee Mon 20-Oct-08 10:35:04

Yes, I feel YABU. Could you not put on an extra layer, especially since the rest of your household don't feel cold? It's not exactly as if they could walk around naked, whereas it's easy enough for you to something about it.

One thing that strikes me as odd though - does your OH come back home specifically to turn the heating off??? In which case he's probably wasting the same money on petrol!

FAQ Mon 20-Oct-08 10:35:52

Goosey - some people just feel the cold more.

My exH would sit at home with a long sleeved top, a thick jumper, and his jacket on, 2 pairs of socks, and thermals under his trousers - he STILL felt cold

However, I do agree that using the timer so that it's not on for so long before you come back would be a good idea smile

bobsyouruncle Mon 20-Oct-08 10:38:53

do you have gas heating? generally heats up a house very quickly ime. Seems very wasteful to me. But then I don't have mine on most of the time when I'm IN the house!

Zazette Mon 20-Oct-08 10:50:07

Absurdly wasteful and irresponsible - you have heard of climate change? Set the timer so it comes on 15 mins before you get in. Make yourself a hot drink as soon as you get in so that you get warm straight away.

Tending to feel chilly often goes with a sluggish metabolism - do you take much exercise? Taking more would help you get and keep warm.

monkeymonkeymonkey Mon 20-Oct-08 10:51:03

Waste of energy really.
Do you have a timer? If your system doesnt have one they can be fitted.

Jux Mon 20-Oct-08 11:17:58

I thought it was meant to be cheaper to have your heating on low constantly, that way the building doesn't get too cold and take hours at a high temperature to warm up. I remember when I used to work in an office in London they would turn the heating off on Friday and it would go back on early on Monday, but sometimes the place took so long to heat up that we would still be being sent home at lunchtime on Wednesday!

beaniescreamyb Mon 20-Oct-08 11:18:32

Don't you have a timer?

Ashantai Mon 20-Oct-08 15:02:20

Damn i'll have to concede to the majority and get the manual out to sort out the timer grin.

Better not show my OH this thread, he'll hold this over me for the rest of my life! grin

mumeeee Mon 20-Oct-08 15:45:06

YABU it is a waste of energy and your fuel bill will be massive,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now