Talk

Advanced search

To let DS2 to listen to Sweeney Todd songs?

(27 Posts)
MrsSnape Sun 19-Oct-08 19:32:08

I'm so going to get flamed here...

But DS2 loves the songs from Sweeney Todd (Demon barber movie). I'm considering putting them on his mp3 player.

I know the film is gruesome and obviously I don't let him watch that but is it really bad to let him listen to the songs too?

jura Sun 19-Oct-08 19:48:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsSnape Sun 19-Oct-08 19:51:08

He's 7 blush but he loves all things gothic (a bit like me that way) and the songs are quite dark without the kind of violence/language you get with gothic rock.

And they're brilliantly performed.

Not that I have fallen in love with Mr Depp's voice at all you understand... grin

HellboundNinkynork Sun 19-Oct-08 19:51:48

I saw it in London back in the day when the stage show was new. I was only about nine but I loved it. Wish I'd had a Mum like you, it took me decades to get a recording of the songs.

I wouldn't let him watch the film though, YANBU smile

jura Sun 19-Oct-08 19:59:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pushchair Sun 19-Oct-08 20:09:51

Hated the stage show and thought the film was boring. Sure let them listen!

MrsSnape Sun 19-Oct-08 20:43:08

LOL it's great hearing a little boy with a strong northern accent singing "My lAcky friends!!" in his best london accent lol

It was the same with Oliver...! I should put him in stage school lol

Tinkywinks Sun 19-Oct-08 20:50:17

I think your ds has very good taste in music, YANBU, but then I'm quite liberal and don't see this kind of thing as an issue - in fact, if it were me I'd probably slip him a black eyeliner too. Goths are great!

TheSmallClanger Sun 19-Oct-08 21:07:34

"The Worst Pies in London" and the "try the priest" one are great pieces of music. YANBU.

MrsSnape Sun 19-Oct-08 21:13:59

Oh no Tinkywinks, I have enough of a job keeping my black eye-liner away from DS1 (10) who is 'emo'.

But I agree, goths and emos are great! I'd done a great job brainwashing my kids to think the same wink

The worst pies in London is a briliant song. I also like "pretty women" and "My Friends".

I was shocked to read that Johnny Depp hated singing in the film as he thought he had a crap voice shock

matildax Sun 19-Oct-08 21:22:58

i love these songs!!! my dd2 whos 6 has been singing them for quite sometime!
she loves 'nothings gonna harm you, not while im around'
i loved the film, and love to clean the house, listening to these songs.
so imo yanbu.
your ds has superb taste grin

MrsSnape Sun 19-Oct-08 21:28:27

Thanks! grin

He still doesn't believe me that it's Jack Sparrow singing grin

matildax Sun 19-Oct-08 21:38:15

she gets the words wrong on 'miracle elixir' though, its really hilarious the words she comes out with, for example 'what is this?, i thinks its his,looks like miss, miss is big' grin
bless her though. wait till she works out the real words!!!!! lol lol wink

MrsSnape Sun 19-Oct-08 21:40:05

LOL! at that bit DS always screeches "DID HE JUST SAY..." and I jump in with "yes! don't you dare!" grin

gemmiegoatlegs Sun 19-Oct-08 21:40:53

I love the pies song too! I'm going to put them on my ipod too!

wessexgirl Sun 19-Oct-08 21:42:23

LOL, Mrs Snape. If you're unreasonable, then I am doubly so, because my dds (5 and 3) must have heard the soundtrack a hundred times now grin.

matildax Sun 19-Oct-08 21:46:29

im loving by the sea, at the moment, i just love johnnys face and lack of emotion in the film when this is sung. and the change of costume, its really fun.

lol mrssnape, im dreading it when she can understand properly!! she thought 'worst pies in london', was 'her eyes in london'!! smile
shes worked that one out now though.

im not keen on joanna though, it grates on me. but the rest are excellent.

MrsSnape Sun 19-Oct-08 21:51:37

LOL I was thinking about By the Sea today. The funniest bit is where they're getting married and Sweeney nods in agreement really half arsed. It's so funny grin

matildax Sun 19-Oct-08 21:57:40

its amazing that even as sweeney todd, johnny depp still looks so so gorgeous!! [swoon]
he is beautiful smile

MrsSnape Sun 19-Oct-08 22:05:31

Oh I totally know what you mean blush He has a gorgeous mouth and the cheekbones etc...I love his face when he's singing to the blades...god I sound like a 13 year old girl blush

I'm also a big fan of Pirates of the Carribean...and it's not because I'm a fan of sailing grin

matildax Sun 19-Oct-08 22:24:49

lol i have dreams of kidnapping vanessa paradis envy and taking my rightful place by his side. i doubt mr depp would notice. i am the spitting image of her, i will have you know wink and my french is perfect!! grin

matildax Sun 19-Oct-08 22:27:50

well a girls gotta dream!!!
looks at dp, sigh, maybe with the right lighting?????
hmmmmmmmmm maybe not grin

MrsSnape Sun 19-Oct-08 22:30:29

vanessa paradis? so that's her name is it? hmm *jots down name in little black book*

lol I comfort myself by thinking he might be really horrible in real life...but in reality, with a face like that, who'd care what his personality was like? blush

matildax Sun 19-Oct-08 22:36:51

oh no, i actually imagine he is god!!! could never do a thing wrong, omg, im off for a cold shower, and a lay down!!
thanks for the banter, and now i will sleep happy, with the image of the 'deppmeister' fresh on my mind wink blush
xx

MrsSnape Sun 19-Oct-08 22:38:26

LOL so will I wink night
grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now