Talk

Advanced search

to think my mum is being very childish

(34 Posts)
hollyandnoah Fri 17-Oct-08 21:12:14

She moved her living room around two days ago and now she has a large statue thing (about knee high) sitting on top of a stereo speaker at the side of the livin room door. Sooo tonight i called round, my ds(9 months) was in his baby walker, crashed into the side of the door, knocked the statue thing down and broke its arm off.
I glued it together and you can't notice it unless looking, there is a hairline crack.
It wasnt expensive, she won it at a prize bingo about 5 years ago.
Anyway i just called her to see if the glue held, she said it did and you cant notice it. But she has fallen out with me and hung the phone up.
She is soo petty sometimes! I am 22 and i feel like i am the parent.
She is supposed to be looking after my ds tomorrow night as i am going to a birthday party, but it doesnt look like she will be now as she's not talking to me. AHHH!

pumpkinscantdancethetango Fri 17-Oct-08 21:13:15

yaNbu

BoysAreLikeZombies Fri 17-Oct-08 21:14:56

YANBU but why is DS in a walker?

They are really Not Very Good you know

hollyandnoah Fri 17-Oct-08 21:16:46

why not? he was in it while i got the raincover out of the cupboard. What is wrong with them? And why does 'Not Very Good' have caps?

ForeverOptimistic Fri 17-Oct-08 21:19:31

Baby walkers are fine if you supervise the baby and only use them for short periods.

I escaped in one once and tried to board a bus. grin

thisisyesterday Fri 17-Oct-08 21:20:51

ok well she is being a bit childish, but on the other hand, did you apologise when it happened?
if she has stuff like that around then you are responsible for your child not breaking things while you're there iyswim?

baby walkers bad because they put baby in a really awful position for "learning" to walk.
and because babies often have accidents in them due to falling down steps, banging into things, generally going too fast for them to cope with.

imagine if he'd hit the statue and it had fallen on him.

BoysAreLikeZombies Fri 17-Oct-08 21:20:58

Well, they encourage the baby to use 'tippy toes', a completely different movement to walking. And the speed that the baby can get about can be startling as you have found out.

grin

BoysAreLikeZombies Fri 17-Oct-08 21:21:22

Well, they encourage the baby to use 'tippy toes', a completely different movement to walking. And the speed that the baby can get about can be startling as you have found out.

grin

scaryfucker Fri 17-Oct-08 21:22:02

hollyandnoah

your mother is being an arse

and you should ignore the comment re. babywalkers being Not Very Good, it was Not At All Necessary

onetiredmummy Fri 17-Oct-08 21:23:29

It was her fault that the statue was in such a daft place where ANY 9 mnth old is clearly going to break it one way or the other. & what if it had fallen on & injured your ds!

thisisyesterday Fri 17-Oct-08 21:23:45

yes, god forbid someone warn you of a potentially dangerous piece of baby equipment hmm

Heifer Fri 17-Oct-08 21:23:45

warnings re babywalkers

Did you offer to buy her a new one? If not then maybe that will make her feel better.

I would phone her to check that she is still ok to look after him then you will now.

WinkyWinkola Fri 17-Oct-08 21:23:55

She is the child and you are the parent.

Is there any way you can avoid having to rely on her for childcare because it sounds like she has no issue with letting you down at the last minute. Don't set yourself up for continual disappointment.

No1GruffaloHunter Fri 17-Oct-08 21:24:22

YANBU...my mum always moves anything she values / is breakable out of the way when DD visits. After all shes only a toddler and doesn't understand. (Obviously we do supervise her but it is impossible to have eyes in the back of your head).

BoysAreLikeZombies Fri 17-Oct-08 21:24:26

Aaargh sorry for double post. As I said, YANBU

hollyandnoah Fri 17-Oct-08 21:26:28

Yes or course i said sorry. That is also why i was calling her too.
Oo well it is probably safer in the walker than out (at least i think so) He climbs on her table (right onto it) onto the sofa, pulles everything out and all that. He does go super fast though. He can stand on his own though unaided but cant take steps.. do you think that has to do with the walker?

exasperatedmummy Fri 17-Oct-08 21:28:33

I had a baby walker - my DD walked late, my HV said for me to dump the walker, i did, didn't make any difference actually. I rather regret listening to HV. They are relatively safe now too if you buy the ones with "speed control". My DD was a non crawler and a bum shuffler, these are notorious for walking late - i often wondered if i had kept the walker, she might have walked earlier. I don't know - she is three now, so a distant memory. I had a walker, i have pictures of me in it - i walked at nine months.

onetiredmummy Fri 17-Oct-08 21:29:49

Maybe she has an underlying issue that's not do with the statue thing at all?

cat64 Fri 17-Oct-08 21:31:30

Message withdrawn

exasperatedmummy Fri 17-Oct-08 21:31:40

If he is nine months and can stand unaided i would say he is doing pretty well. Maybe walkers do make children walk late - does it really matter?

Actually serious question here - do they cause permanent damage, not sure i have ever heard that.

Your mum is being unreasonable, babies break things, if it was that important that he didnt break it, she should have put it out of reach.

TheSmallClanger Fri 17-Oct-08 21:32:58

Yes, your mum is being childish to hang up on you, and yes, if she does childcare for you on a regular basis then she is a bit dim to have breakables lying around.
How did she react when the accident first happened? Have we heard the whole story? It sounds like more than a broken statue has upset her.

I do agree about the baby walker, as well. It's much easier to supervise a crawling baby than one clattering about in a walker, and they are dangerous.

SilkCutMama Fri 17-Oct-08 21:33:58

Can you send your ds armed with lots of soft play balls to throw around tomorrow?

If she's going to look after her grandson then she should baby proof her house. Sje'll soon do it when he breaks a few more bingo goodies

smile

enjoy your night out

onetiredmummy Fri 17-Oct-08 21:37:25

Here's a pre Halloween baby walker horror story, although not applicable nowadays.

My nana lives in Doncaster where my grandad was a coal miner, & as such they got free coal & had an open fire. They had a son who was in a baby walker, one of those old fashined ones that was basically a circle on a set of wheels. Grandad was out, Nana was cooking in the kitchen & baby toppled into the open fire & burnt to death.

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 17-Oct-08 21:37:31

Message withdrawn

hollyandnoah Fri 17-Oct-08 21:39:39

No at the tiume she just said i'd better quickly clean it up and moved ds so he didnt get hurt on any shards. She said it was okay and not important and that i didnt have to glue it.
I didnt think about buying her a new one, but i will ask her tomorrow - although i dont have a clue where id find one lol!
Ah well. I know she hurt her back at work last month and it has been bothering her so i am going to put it down to that. I just called back and my brother said she was in bed :|

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: