Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Am I being unreasonable to complain about dd primary school new lining up policy.

(84 Posts)
rosysslave Fri 17-Oct-08 13:51:22

My dd's primary school have introduced a new policy of making the children line up 10 mins early after lunch and 5 mins early after morning break (this is a punishment/new regime because they can't line up quietly). They then have to sit there, in a line, completely silent, for 10 minutes, being screamed at by the hitlerish lunchtime staff if they make any noise, till the teachers come and get them. This is applied to all ages from 6 up. I think this is totally ridiculous, children that age (primary age) cant be totally silent, en masse, for any length of time and, in my opinion, shouldn't be made to stand in a line for any longer than necessary, specially not at playtime. It feels like, to me, just inadequate people being able to bully small children for no good reason, I hate listening to the children being screamed at and feel I should say something but.....perhaps I am wrong and it is not unreasonable to expect them to line up silently. What do people think?

Twiglett Fri 17-Oct-08 13:53:21

are you sure about the length of time ... or is that chinese whispers? Has it come in writing from the school

I would speak to the head and ask for clarification. If s/he says this is what is happening I would not hesitate to register a complaint

Luxmum Fri 17-Oct-08 13:54:43

Well is this policy for a week or few days to tell them off, of for everyday till eht end of time? If it is a temporary thing to get the children to calm down and enter the classroom in a civilised manner, and teach them not to run wild, then fine. If it it a fulltime thing, I suspect the lunchtime staff also will not be too happy to spend the next few winter months standing in the cold. Is the issue that teh children were 'too' loud, or acted like a mob?

rosysslave Fri 17-Oct-08 13:55:06

I see it, dd comes home for lunch so I am ther every day, but have also had the 10 mins confirmed by a teacher.

Monkeyblue Fri 17-Oct-08 13:57:00

YANBU
Thats the whole point of playtime kids running it off all that energy and laughing shouting

I agree kids should`nt be made to stand in a line for longer than thats required
Its a silly idea

rosysslave Fri 17-Oct-08 13:57:27

Too loud, I think. They stand in line but chatter, and with a lot of children the noise levels rise. I think it would be ok if the teachers came and got them quicker but sometimes they are quite late and the children can't be quiet that long and the lunchtime staff are horrid.

Twiglett Fri 17-Oct-08 13:57:45

well then speak to the head

playtime is important for working off energy so that they can then concentrate in class

I think it's unacceptable policy

MrsMattie Fri 17-Oct-08 13:57:53

How weird! I would complain, yes.

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Fri 17-Oct-08 13:59:14

I wouldn't have a problem with it as such but 10 minutes is utterly ridiculous and, I would imagine, impossible!

rosysslave Fri 17-Oct-08 14:00:49

I think so too, they also have their playtime cut as a class, for the bad behaviour of a few, which seems totally counterproductive, what is going to make the badly behaved chlidren worse, letting them burn off their energy or sitting and simmering. It also outrages the children who do behave well!

MadreInglese Fri 17-Oct-08 14:00:54

10 minutes is a loooooong time

and they shouldn't be being screamed at shock

herbietea Fri 17-Oct-08 14:05:16

Message withdrawn

WigWamBam Fri 17-Oct-08 14:06:18

I wouldn't be desperately worried about them being made to line up quietly for a few minutes - although ten minutes seems excessive; it's hard for the children to stay quiet for so long.

I would be very worried about the "horrid", "hitlerish" lunchtime supervisors though - and would be considering complaining about their behaviour, if what you say is true and you have witnessed it. Lunchtimes are madness on legs and sometimes by the end of them I am at the end of my tether (I'm a lunchtime supervisor) but screaming at the children isn't acceptable.

branflake81 Fri 17-Oct-08 14:09:20

We used to have to do this when I was a kid at school. I don't think it's a bad thing, you need to instil discipline.

branflake81 Fri 17-Oct-08 14:09:52

oh and I didn't mean you PERSONALLY, I meant you as in "One"

rosysslave Fri 17-Oct-08 14:11:43

I can totally understand you being at the end of your tether by the end of lunchtime, I am at the end of my tether after an hour on a saturday morning with just 3 sometimes, but they (particularly a couple) really harrang the children in a very bullying fashion and I think that if they are so angry with the children at the end of lunch they are in the wrong job and perhaps prison warden would suit them better.

thisisyesterday Fri 17-Oct-08 14:12:35

nah, you aren't allowed to treat prisoners like that wink

DaphneMoon Fri 17-Oct-08 14:13:54

OP, sounds awful, complain. Ten mins is far too long.

Herbietea: Good grief, I wouldn't allow that. Can you get on the bus or is it school kids only. Nasty bugger complain about him he does not deserve the job. Take the phone with you they can't deny it then.

rosysslave Fri 17-Oct-08 14:15:03

Discipline is important, I totally agree but I think expectations have to be reasonable and if you are expecting a crowd of primary age children to be silent for > 5 mins in the playground you have to be a bit flexible maybe?

rosysslave Fri 17-Oct-08 14:16:33

Discipline is important, I totally agree but I think expectations have to be reasonable and if you are expecting a crowd of primary age children to be silent for > 5 mins in the playground you have to be a bit flexible maybe?

platypussy Fri 17-Oct-08 14:19:25

Rosy in your op you said the children have to line up and 'sit there' for 10 mins. Do they really have to sit outside on the ground (which could be wet)?

rosysslave Fri 17-Oct-08 14:20:06

ooops. what I meant to say that time was Herbieta can you complain to the school about the bus driver? I agree, a bus full of children is never going to be quiet and they shouldnt have to (within reason) they are not at school yet, they should be able to talk. There are some really horrid inadequate people who, perhaps, choose to work with children because they can bully them.

rosysslave Fri 17-Oct-08 14:25:55

So far if it has been wet at lunchtime it has been raining so they have been inside, It has not happened that it has just been wet, if you see what I mean!so probably sit on the floor there. I don't think they would make the children sit on a wet playground (though.....)

rebelmum1 Fri 17-Oct-08 14:27:13

I don't see anything wrong with them shutting up for 10 minutes, sounds perfectly reasonable to me. They shouldn't need to scream at them though.

rebelmum1 Fri 17-Oct-08 14:28:02

it'll calm then down before going back into class

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now