Talk

Advanced search

To think the tax office should not send me other people's personal info

(7 Posts)
MikeStand Fri 17-Oct-08 12:32:55

Basically the local tax office have sent me a form but in the envelope with it were two additional documents. They give the name, addresses, national insurance number, income details of two complete strangers in other towns. One of them is an internal piece of tax office paperwork.
I called to explain but was told to pop it back in the post to them as though it was an every day event. No apology or concern expressed.
Does anyone know if there is anyone to complain to or should I be unconcerned that the tax office is so careless with such sensitve data?

PhantomOfTheChocolateCake Fri 17-Oct-08 12:35:36

The information commissioner. www.ico.gov.uk/

This would oncern me. It's very naughty. A less honest person could have been sent these.

hecAteTheirBrains Fri 17-Oct-08 15:12:10

No. Do you think there is any possibility you could be being unreasonable? grin

See, this is why we need a RANT section!! grin

(Post it directly to the people, with a note saying the tax office sent it to you! They'll go ballistic! - and if you send it back to tax office, they will never say anything, will they?)

ButterflyBessie Fri 17-Oct-08 15:14:18

What a marvellous idea, do exactly what Hecate suggests, inspiredgrin

Sycamoretree Fri 17-Oct-08 15:26:34

Oooh hectate, I am always in awe of your general smartipantness.

Yes, do as she says. Excellent idea.

hecAteTheirBrains Fri 17-Oct-08 15:29:52

You can always count on me to find a way to make trouble blush [evil]

grin

DorisIsAPinkDragon Fri 17-Oct-08 15:35:05

would do as BOTH hectate and phantom suggest as the other individuals involved may or may not take it furthe. As a serious breach it should be followed up along offical channels with the information commisioner.

To put the boot on the other foot what would you want to happen if it was your info... which for all you know it could be wink?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now