Talk

Advanced search

To keep the DC off school tomorrow because of "vomiting epidemic" (the school's description BTW)

(24 Posts)
ChippyMinton Thu 16-Oct-08 18:48:45

Normally I make them go regardless <mean mummmy> but a third of DD's reception year were off today. As well as the DC, I have elderly MIL & FIL with dementia to consider, as DH pops in every day to help them and can't risk giving them the bug.

So, would you keep them at home? I would go in and get their homework.

Liffey Thu 16-Oct-08 18:49:33

This is what you should do!

Liffey Thu 16-Oct-08 18:51:06

Is it the norovirus? My dd's school had that! She vomited in every bed in the house. First her own at 11pm, mine at 1 am, the spare bed at 4 am. Finally, we were all sleeping on the sofa. The whole house reeked of vom.

Keep your dc off school. Absolutely definitely.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Thu 16-Oct-08 18:51:10

a work colleague of mine has been off for a few days with a terrible sickness bug. He's had four days of being really really poorly, bless him.
Am hopnig as I didn't see him on his last day in the office that I dont catch it!

I would keep them off.

Liffey Thu 16-Oct-08 18:51:48

OK, just one more post. SOD the homework you loon!!!

Rubyrubyruby Thu 16-Oct-08 18:52:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

herbietea Thu 16-Oct-08 18:52:49

Message withdrawn

MegBusset Thu 16-Oct-08 18:52:58

I would say YANBU, although what will you do if the virus keeps going round the school for the next few weeks? Or is it one of those things that doesn't tend to come back?

CarGirl Thu 16-Oct-08 18:53:10

Yep keep them off and I would actually consider not sending them back on Monday. I would ask the school if they are doing a proper clean of the classrooms in light of it.

Had norovirus it was absolutely awful.

MatNanPlus Thu 16-Oct-08 18:53:27

I would keep them home TBH

ChippyMinton Thu 16-Oct-08 18:55:13

ooh do you think the homework will be germ-ridden?
Don't know what the bug is but is must be pretty virulent. According to my DC kids were throwing up in the corridors shock but then again they could be exaggerating.

ChippyMinton Thu 16-Oct-08 18:56:54

Half term is the week after, but school is shut on Thursday and we were going to take them out on Friday anyway, so they'd miss 3 days next week. That's good idea actually.

Liffey Thu 16-Oct-08 19:02:25

Find out if it's norovirus? That was bad I can tell you. I'm not exaggerating.

KimiTrickOrTreat Thu 16-Oct-08 19:03:53

God keep them home, we all had this last christmas, DS2s school had 90 pupils and 7 teachers off with it and the school only has 270 pupils

Boyswillbeboys Thu 16-Oct-08 19:05:05

We've just had it at my DCs school, luckily they got away with a bit of a tummy upset and running to the loo every five minutes but some kids were really poorly. I would definitely keep them off school. One day off will not affect their future career prospects I'm sure smile

Liffey Thu 16-Oct-08 19:11:53

Especially not in reception!!

sadbarratthomeowner Thu 16-Oct-08 19:18:28

Norovirus is dire. Dd2 couldn't stop throwing up for about a week - nightmare keeping her from being dehydrated. Eventually she had to have some medicine from GP which stopped vomiting... then I got diarrhoea from hell!! Avoid if poss!

loobeylou Thu 16-Oct-08 19:21:49

oh yes, norovirus is foul, we all had this last christmas, i have very strong memories of trying to sleep in a toddler bed with dcs in turn sleeping sat up in the armchair beside me so they did not choke, then spending a night half sleeping on the landing floor to be near the loo. and that lovely smell of vomit and dettol. nice and christmassy LOL !

wards of our hospital were closed because of it,schools half empty and i still saw people from all walks of life NOT WASHING THEIR HANDS after using the public loos

so no, YANBU, these things spread like wildfire in schools

TheCrackFox Thu 16-Oct-08 19:21:53

Keep them at home. I had the Norovirus and of course the DCs too. DH always manages to miss out on all the germs, grrrr.

katylou25 Thu 16-Oct-08 19:24:23

Yep my dad is head of environmental health and he says the only way to stop spread of norovirus is to have a team of cleaners moving through the building spraying everything routinely touched by lots of people ie door handles, bannisters, phones etc with a bleach spray every hour then should have stopped the spread. He had to recommend it to companies when they got epidemics last year and just couldn't kepp staff in!

Tis a nasty bug - avoid at all costs - and wash was wash your hands!

IllegallyBrunette Thu 16-Oct-08 19:27:01

Normally I would say no, but since last xmas when I had that winter vomitting thing that was going around, I have to say yes, keep them off.

I have never ever felt so ill in all my life as I did then, and I lost 12lbs in 24 hours.

sadbarratthomeowner Thu 16-Oct-08 20:52:58

Yes I lost about 1/2 stone in a couple of days.... But it is a virus, so there must be some immunity year on year... Perhaps like chicken pox, it's something you have to have to get out of the way? Or is this completely wrong?!

frazzledali Fri 17-Oct-08 12:25:30

keep them at home!

I just spent the weekend vomiting like crazy. Mind you, nobody else got it, fortunately. But I still feel a bit rubbish.

MrsMatryoshka Fri 17-Oct-08 12:30:05

Keep them off ,I am just getting over this it's awful all the dc have had it my house stinks of puke and I have no energy to do anything and still feel really bluerghhhh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now