Talk

Advanced search

to think that if DH is going to be later home than usual because there is a problem with the Tube or the sky has fallen in...

(10 Posts)
misshardbroom Thu 16-Oct-08 18:28:40

...or indeed any other reason that would prevent him from being home in time to retrieve DD's broomstick from the attic prior to tomorrow's school Hallowe'en disco, he might (just might) either phone/text me to say so, or indeed answer his bloody phone?

Especially as in being late he is leaving me to deal with three overtired and cantankerous children, one of whom isn't well, and another of whom (I have just noticed) has felt pen all over his face because he has been sucking a Crayola washable pen.

Obviously, DH might, as I type, be in bed with a pneumatic blonde, and if that means I can have an early night without serving his conjugal rights, then so be it.

BlingLovin Thu 16-Oct-08 18:29:55

YANBU

ComeOVeneer Thu 16-Oct-08 18:30:40

I know the feeling. DH has a habit of phoning me just after I have started dinner to say he will be late and will be eating at the office!

smellyeli Thu 16-Oct-08 18:35:03

YANBU - mine has to text me now with an ETA so that I can decide what time to start the countdown to chaos, and warn my DS when CBeebies will be withdrawn - if he doesn't let me know I get unreasonably cross but it is really annoying to either - start bedtime only for him to arrive halfway through, or delay bedtime and then deal with overtired children...... I am such a harridan, I know, but sometimes I feel as if my whole day is a carefully adjusted timetable with bedtime as the ultimate aim!

Coincidentally, my DH also needs to go into the attic (I am unable to go because of the spider risk) to retrieve DD's forward facing car seat, so he'd better be home before 1900 hours - the loft ladder is so noisy that it's use is verboten after bedtime.......

sunnygirl1412 Thu 16-Oct-08 18:36:07

You are not alone, misshardbroom. My dh has almost never given me any warning that he's going to be home late. It is not unreasonable to think that he might phone you and let you know, but some men just don't think that way.

Of course when I objected, I got told that he was late because he was out earning money to support us - the implication being that this meant I shouldn't complain.

It was a real issue for me when the children were younger - I can remember so well how frustrating it was to have three tired little boys to cope with alone at the end of a long day, when they were frachetty and cross, and I'd been expecting a bit of help to put them to bed.

Now they're older, it's less of an issue - but of course sod's law says that he's now in a job where he can finish at a reasonable time and be home quickly - so he's home wayyy before I expect him.

misshardbroom Thu 16-Oct-08 18:41:14

actually I shouldn't complain as when they were really little he worked away Mon-Fri and that was hell on earth, so commuting isn't that bad in comparison.

Just tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiired

(aren't we all?)

ComeOVeneer Thu 16-Oct-08 18:43:39

Actually what is worse (imo) is when dh arrives home 5 mins before bed time, resulting in 2 children getting all over excited and delaying bedtime. I expect 7.31pm onwards to be childfree fgs grin

shootfromthehip Thu 16-Oct-08 18:55:57

IKWYM- DH has just walked in and woken up both DC. He could have come in now or anytime up until 7.45pm. Or later. And I'm supposed to guess when he comes in. What a fun game. Arsehole.

shootfromthehip Thu 16-Oct-08 18:57:55

Oh and YANBU, even though I probably was with the 'arsehole' comment wink. It's the school holidays here and I'm losing the will to live!

LazyLinePainterJane Thu 16-Oct-08 19:18:56

When Dh does this, it is really annoying. He tends to phone at, say 7pm, when he was supposed to leave at 6pm, and say.."I'm running late"....no shit, sherlock.hmm

Of course, now he is working away all week, I would be happy for him to just be an hour late. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now