Talk

Advanced search

To think that an explanation of 'inappropriate clothing' might be a good idea?

(11 Posts)
LadyGlencoraPalliser Thu 16-Oct-08 12:05:47

DD1 has her first ever secondary school disco tonight. The ticket came with a warning on the back that children who arrived in 'inappropriate clothing or fancy dress' would be turned away and not allowed to attend another school disco ever again.

DD1 is now worried that her pink and black prom-style dress and footless black tights will be inappropriate.

I tried to reassure her that I would not let her out the door in inappropriate clothing and that it undoubtedly meant low cut tops and skirts that showed your knickers, but she doesn't trust me!

IABU to think the school should be a bit less cryptic in detailing the dress code for these things? And what's with the fancy dress prohibition anyway hmm ?

Tamarto Thu 16-Oct-08 12:08:34

That could mean anything, are football tops inappropriate, are t-shirts, maybe her dress is shock

YANBU

I'm not sure what the thing is with fancy dress, but i hear it more and more with no good explination why.

onager Thu 16-Oct-08 12:10:21

I'm sure you're right about low cut etc and if they just said that it would be reasonable, but since the line between inappropriate and appropriate is a matter of opinion the threat "and not allowed to attend another school disco ever again" is way over the top.

mumoverseas Thu 16-Oct-08 12:11:57

YANBU, how are you supposed to know what is inappropriate? A bit harsh to say that they would be basically banned from future discos!

OrmIrian Thu 16-Oct-08 12:13:52

YANBU.

Inappropriate is in the eye of the beholder surely?

LittleMyDancingWithTheDevil Thu 16-Oct-08 12:17:32

have you tried asking the school for a definition of inappropriate? bit daft of them not to make it clear, especially with such a big threat.

gemmiegoatlegs Thu 16-Oct-08 12:19:30

i'm sure they just mean slogan t-shirts with swearing on and other similar stuff

LadyGlencoraPalliser Thu 16-Oct-08 12:21:27

LittleMy - DD only got the ticket yesterday and it was bedtime when she told me I needed to sign the back to say I had read the terms and would comply. No chewing gum is the other rule, am happy to comply with that.

Tigerschick Thu 16-Oct-08 12:22:05

YANBU, there should be some explanantion.

Is your DD1 at school today? Can she ask her tutor or someone what it means?
Or do you know anyone with older DC at the same school who can help?
Failing those, I'd ring the school and ask - if the secretary gets fed up with people asking then maybe next time they'll be more specific!

scaryteacher Thu 16-Oct-08 13:02:46

No tits, tums and bums would be what the school is thinking I imagine.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Thu 16-Oct-08 21:57:18

Well, she's back, they let her in grin and she had a great time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now