Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think if you don't agree with the rules, don't send the kids there?

(52 Posts)
GhostlySinCity Thu 16-Oct-08 10:53:28

I'm talking about parents who decide on a secondary school for their kids...knowing the uniform etc and THEN decide that they don't want to follow the rules?

It makes me want to scream.

Our school uniform is:

Black trousers (which can be bought from asda/matalan etc for under £10)
A white shirt (Packs of 3 can be bought from asda/tesco for under £10)
A school tie (£4)
Black Shoes (£20?)
School blazer (ok, rather pricey at £35)

They KNOW the uniform before they send their kids there yet as soon as their kids are confirmed a place they start with:

"Oh, well I can't afford that blazer, he'll be going in a normal blue jumper"

"He won't wear trousers, it will have to be black tracky bottoms"

"Schools shoes? he can just wear his trainers can't he?"

"He doesn't know how to fasten a tie, surely it won't matter if we don't get one?"

ARGH!! stupid, stupid bloody people. IT MAKES ME SO CROSS.

Twelvelegs Thu 16-Oct-08 10:54:35

YANBU,

pingping Thu 16-Oct-08 11:00:20

I wouldn't stress yourself to much about it as long as your children go to school dressed right then you shouldn't have anything to worry about it.

TheCrackFox Thu 16-Oct-08 11:00:30

Maybe they can't afford it? I think a school uniform looks good but petty rule breaking is so much fun.

cory Thu 16-Oct-08 11:05:37

I know very few parents who actually chose to send their child he school with the expensive uniform. They got in because the school is known for its poor academic performance and therefore has places going spare.

lol at the idea that most parents have a genuine choice of secondary schools lined up and can choose according to what they think of the uniform

FioFio Thu 16-Oct-08 11:07:01

Message withdrawn

KimiTrickOrTreat Thu 16-Oct-08 11:09:04

YANBU in the least

flowerybeanbag Thu 16-Oct-08 11:10:17

YABU because if people actually do really have a choice of school, they will pick the best one for their child based on results, facilities, location, not on the uniform.

Parents are not going to look at the uniform requirements, decide they can't afford it, and therefore state that they would prefer to send their child to the rubbish school in the next town with a cheap uniform (assuming there is such a place).

It is annoying, and obviously they should comply where possible, second hand stuff or whatever they can manage, but I don't think it's as simple as saying therefore they shouldn't send their children to the school.

VinegARGHHHTits Thu 16-Oct-08 11:10:37

Some people just like to be arkward, some people just like to break rules, some people just like to try it on to see what they can get away with. I do it myself sometimes, not in school of course, but in work sometimes i do things like 'lets park in the tiny car park with limited space without a permit today, see if anyone notices' wink

DaphneMoon Thu 16-Oct-08 11:12:20

My DS goes to a Primary school that has proper uniform (not a blazer though). He has had to wear a proper tie since reception. I think it's lovely and they all look so smart. Not only that but they are quite strict on it too. Coats have to be a navy or black. I think it is important that they follow a uniform rule correctly, it is all good practice.

Rubyrubyruby Thu 16-Oct-08 11:12:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Thu 16-Oct-08 11:13:29

Not worth getting worked up over as long as you are satisfied your kids are getting it right IMO.

<<Mrs JS wonders where the feck GSC is finding black school shoes for £20 a pair hmm???>>

cory Thu 16-Oct-08 11:14:01

Can't help noticing that the local secondary school with the most expensive uniform is the one next to the big estates, with lots of people on very low incomes. I can sort of understand the rationale (wearing a uniform may improve discipline) but can't help thinking it must put a heavy burden on some families.

cory Thu 16-Oct-08 11:15:22

Might add that catchments often only include one school- so not a lot of choice really.

GhostlySinCity Thu 16-Oct-08 11:17:41

Ok so maybe they genuinly can't afford some of the uniform but the track suit bottoms?? That's just scruffy. Plus, they probably cost more than normal school trousers!

SaTanicGore Thu 16-Oct-08 11:19:03

There isn't a single secondary school in our town that has a uniform that comes in at under under £100-150.

Most of the standard uniform items are ok but then they want a particular indoor PE kit, outdoor games kit, extras like aprons & coveralls etc etc.

So should I keep my child at home because I am hard pressed to afford all of the uniform?

Choice doesn't exactly come into it so I think YABU.

Jux Thu 16-Oct-08 11:46:46

We get this in dd's primary as well ffs, where you can get everything in Woolies for less than a fiver for each thing. It's meant to be grey trousers but all the girls wear black, the boys wear grey; it's ridiculous.

mayorquimby Thu 16-Oct-08 13:25:32

yanbu and even though i hated it at the time in my school, no uniform 3 times a week meant saturday detention (that's per item, so if no shoes,tie or blazer at the same time= instant sat detention)
it was a pain in the ass but rules are rules and a healthy sense of discipline is no bad thing to have when leaving school.

wasabipeanut Thu 16-Oct-08 13:27:43

YABU - surely in reality parents get bugger all choice about where their kids actually go to school?

PsychoAxeMurdererMum Thu 16-Oct-08 13:28:25

<<ARF>>

are you trying to get more YANBU on here than your other thread??? ((you do have an issue with tracksuitswink))

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Thu 16-Oct-08 13:30:55

If they are really that skint that they cannot afford school blasers surely the school have a bursary fund they could apply to? Or they could put away £5 a week for a year, given that they must know before hand that their dc will need new uniform.

pingping Thu 16-Oct-08 13:31:26

LOL at PsycoAxeMurdererMum its true OP has issues with Tracksuits wonder what she did when the shell suits came out in the 80's wink

nooka Thu 16-Oct-08 13:37:42

Choice at secondary is a bit of a joke. In my old area all the secondary schools had uniforms (including the really rubbish school that my dd would have had to attend). If enough people break the rules then the other clothes (like non standard trousers, or jumpers) get incorporated. If the school can't be bothered to make a fight about it why should you get so antsi?

OrmIrian Thu 16-Oct-08 14:18:04

cory - beginnning to wonder if you live near me. DS#1's school is the only one in town with a 'proper' uniform (ie blazer) and it's slap bang in the middle of a rundown estate hmm But it supposedly does improve discipline, judging by the school's massive improvement it does help, and it's not all that expensive really. Blazer - £25 and probably will last a few years, badge about £4, tie £3.

batters Thu 16-Oct-08 14:34:15

gawd you really, really adore judging everyone!

Ever considered starting a catch-all thread:

"Am I being unreasonable in knowing that I am always right?"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now