Talk

Advanced search

How bad would this be on a scale of 1 to 10?

(26 Posts)
chequersandchess Wed 15-Oct-08 19:34:58

I must stress, I am NOT planning to do this, but the thought had crossed my mind and I wondered what others thought about it...

DD is 9 weeks, my Mum cannot stop buying her clothes. She bought up half of Baby Gap at the weekend.

DD is growing so quick she is not getting through half of the clothes she's been given.

It would be morally wrong to return them and use the money on baby swimming lessons wouldn't it??

It's a moot point anyway as she bought them on a credit card so I couldn't get the cash anyway. Plus, I would feel too bad about doing this, but my Mum loves to buy her things and I don't think it's my place to dictate what she gets her.

Tidey Wed 15-Oct-08 19:35:59

eBay them instead.

morningpaper Wed 15-Oct-08 19:36:11

I think it would be perfectly ok tbh

meglet Wed 15-Oct-08 19:36:40

I'd exchange them, they won't let you have the cash anyway. Just get lots of stuff in bigger sizes.

We got too much stuff recently when DD was born, I've changeds it for clothes she will need when she is bigger.

nickytwoooohtimes Wed 15-Oct-08 19:38:27

I'd do it too. In fact, ds ended up with lots of loveley clothes for ages 6-9 mths for some reason. He kept being given tehm, but there was more than he could havev worn. I swapped them for other clothes in a bigger size. They were still invaluable gifts because we wouldn't have been able to afford such lovely things for him.

TheCrackFox Wed 15-Oct-08 19:38:45

If your mum is half as bad as my mum then you could probably open your own childrens' clothes shop. grin I did try and tell my mum to calm down but she would not listen. Quite a lot was taken to the charity shop because DS2 could not have physically have worn everything that she bought.

Try and get your mu to reign things in abit, but, if she won't then return the stuff to the shops and use the money for something else.

Maveta Wed 15-Oct-08 19:39:07

I think you could ask your mum if she could get a gift receipt when she buys stuff so that if it is never worn you (or she) could take it back and get the bigger size, maybe?
rather than asking for something totally different altogether.

If you never have to buy clothes you could save the money you would otherwise spend on swimming lessons yourself, surely? Lucky you its baby gap! smile

kt14 Wed 15-Oct-08 19:39:17

Definitely exchange, it's a total waste otherwise. You barely need anything for them at that age beyond a pile of vests and baby-gro's, deeply regret the vast pile of cash I spent on the ds' cutesy first outfits!!!

twinsetandpalls Wed 15-Oct-08 19:39:19

When my ex used to refuse to pay maintenace and instead buy dd loads of clothes I would swap for food. We went through a phase of being skint but eating from Selfridges food hall.

chequersandchess Wed 15-Oct-08 19:40:35

It's a shame really, I think that's just how she expresses her grandmotherly love.

She's coming up next month and suggested we take DD shopping. I suggested we take DD swimming instead - there was silence on the line, she really didn't like that idea. Thing is, DD doesn't really need stuff, she's only a little baby.

izyboy Wed 15-Oct-08 19:40:42

I am jealous - but I think what you suggest is ok tbh.

crokky Wed 15-Oct-08 19:46:54

I don't think it would be morally wrong.

thisisyesterday Wed 15-Oct-08 19:48:47

i'd take them back and either exchange for bigger stuff, or see if they can put the amount on a gift card or something for you to use later

nooOOOoonki Wed 15-Oct-08 19:49:19

I would definately exchange/get vouchers and then buy stuff in sale,

or say to your mum when shopping, that DD has plenty of stuff for now but for when she is older great

I am jealous though!

chequersandchess Wed 15-Oct-08 19:50:02

I just feel bad as it's gap and she doesn't need pricey(ish) clothes from there.

Perhaps if I steer her somewhere cheaper..

Maveta Wed 15-Oct-08 20:27:39

for god´s sake don´t steer her somewhere cheaper - if she´s like my mum she´ll just realise she gets even MORE for her money hmm grin

Twelvelegs Wed 15-Oct-08 20:30:32

Return and get vouchers..... or just tell her that you love her taste but your dc doesn't get the time to wear them all.

ThemasterandmarGOREitas Wed 15-Oct-08 20:35:21

Maybe you could subtley hint at how fast she is growing and that it seems such a waste for her to have so many hardly worn clothes?

Alternatively why not ask mum to pay for baby swimming lessons and gear instead? grin

yomellamoHelly Wed 15-Oct-08 20:36:03

Return them and get the vouchers. Pointless having too many clothes imo.

mustsleep Wed 15-Oct-08 20:36:15

yanbu

could you just exchange them for a bigger sizeand then just say to your mum that dd would love to go swimming she might pay for that instead or she may just buy her a multitude of swimming attire lol grin

Tortington Wed 15-Oct-08 20:37:11

bundle them up and send them to a mumsnetterwho could do with some.

onepieceoflollipop Wed 15-Oct-08 20:38:05

My mum is like this and I really appreciate it, BUT the idea of swapping for bigger sizes can be tricky as it is likely she will then buy bigger sizes anyway as your dc gets bigger!

You could get a gift/credit voucher and if your dd is really overwhelmed with clothes get something for yourself/dp with the voucher. wink

DesperateHousewifeToo Wed 15-Oct-08 20:38:19

Steer her to M & S, then you can exchange stuff and buy food!

Can you think of something other than clothes that you might need?

I'm sure she is just excited and will soon calm down.

Just joke with her that there will be nothing left to buy her for christmas if she gets it all now.grin

expatinscotland Wed 15-Oct-08 20:39:34

YANBU.

i'd get store credit and buy food instead.

procrastinatingparent Wed 15-Oct-08 20:41:32

Definitely take back, get gift receipt and then buy bigger sizes/stuff in the sale. NB It's really hard to predict sizes and what season they will fit into particular clothes. Better to have money in hand when they actually need the clothes.

You might want to buy some clothes as presents for other people having babies.

And if she really doesn't need the baby clothes, grownup Gap will take the gift receipt. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now