Talk

Advanced search

to think the council should want to accept the money I'm offering?

(9 Posts)
HairyToedHobbit Wed 15-Oct-08 11:53:45

I am 2 weeks late paying my council tax blush, haven't got round to setting up a new direct debit since changing bank accounts. I usually pay online but couldn't find my reference number so thought I know, I'll phone up and pay with my debit card, they're bound to be able to find my details on their system. So I did and they could. After checking my ID I was told they would put my reference number in the post so that I can pay when I receive it.

Obviously thought I was fraudulently attempting to pay someone else's council tax. hmm

And yes, they are one of the councils with millions of pounds stuck in Iceland. Says it all really.

Witchka Wed 15-Oct-08 12:09:04

I wish someone would try to pay mine for me.

Simplysally Wed 15-Oct-08 12:13:40

If you pay online is the ref you used on your old bank statement? If not, I'd send them a cheque with my house no, and postcode on.

gingerninja Wed 15-Oct-08 12:25:32

Perhaps they don't have the facilities to take card payments over the phone. It is a council after all, they're not going to be at the forefront of sophisticated technology.

HairyToedHobbit Wed 15-Oct-08 12:38:12

Me too Witchka, shame they wouldn't be able to unless they intercepted my post grin

Simplysally, have checked statements and not on them. Haven't got a chequebook but if I did apparently they wouldn't be able to accept it without the reference number anyway.

gingerninja, have paid over the phone before. Just amazed that the woman clearly had all my details in front of her and was not allowed to take a payment from me. Oh and they have a problem with my card. Just as more places are accepting electron visa they are intending to stop accepting them.

scaryteacher Wed 15-Oct-08 13:09:47

Why hasn't your new bank sorted out your DD when you transferred accounts? It's data protection unfortunately, and she's doing what she can. get the DD sorted out when the ref number arrives.

HairyToedHobbit Wed 15-Oct-08 13:37:49

In what way does this relate to data protection? I could understand if I was asking for the reference number to be given over the phone, well sort of. I mean it's not as if it is of any real use to anyone else unless they want to pay my bill. I could tell the person the amount owed (not a standard amount as we moved during the year) and the date due.

Emily23 Wed 15-Oct-08 17:48:31

How annoying! I managed to pay my DPs this morning over the phone, no reference number, I live at a different address and have a different surname! All they wanted was his name and address, and my card details!

HairyToedHobbit Wed 15-Oct-08 20:57:05

Emily, I'm sure that's what happened where we used to live.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now