Talk

Advanced search

to expect my 11 month old to stay still for a nappy change?

(33 Posts)
goldilocksandmylittlebear Tue 14-Oct-08 22:12:51

He just hates it, cries and wriggles so much. I sing, play games, do nothing and try to be as fast as possible, nothing works!

Should I pin him down crying or change him as he stands and plays with something.......its getting to be a real problem!

Am I creating a problem to come???

emkana Tue 14-Oct-08 22:15:07

At this stage I started using pull-ups frequently because I could then do it while he/she was standing

pgwithnumber3 Tue 14-Oct-08 22:15:23

I tend to change whilst DD2 (13 months) is standing (unless a really bad poo), makes life easier. Make life easier for yourself!

goldilocksandmylittlebear Tue 14-Oct-08 22:19:52

so it is 'normal' to react like this?? It drives me mad!

lilacclaire Tue 14-Oct-08 22:22:01

Very normal, mine got worse the older he got.
Only thing to do is have everything out and ready before you do it and just get it done as quick as possible. Not easy I know when they are wriggling like a snake!

MsPontipine Tue 14-Oct-08 22:23:25

Standing/pull ups way easier! I sometimes suffer from repetitive strain and struggled to change baby who refused to stay still - I found them lots easier but still as reliable as regular nappies.

MsPontipine Tue 14-Oct-08 22:23:47

(In my wrists)

goldilocksandmylittlebear Tue 14-Oct-08 22:24:24

oh god! I thought it might get better! I really need to slap on lots of cream as his nappie rash just won't clear but it all ends up on the carpet!

countrychic Tue 14-Oct-08 22:24:30

Yep, mine all went through that stage. Try sitting on floor with DC lying between your legs. Rest your feet on DC's upper arms to pin him down gently and then change as quick as possible. A dirty bottom is easier to clean lying down. Very frustrating I know.

bran Tue 14-Oct-08 22:24:32

I used a Rabbitts mat for DS. I was having back and knee problems so it was very difficult to change him on the floor with him crawling away, it was easier to do it higher up and strap him. He got used to it quite quickly, and after a short while he realised that if he lay there quietly then he didn't need to be strapped. I couldn't use pull ups as he did very gooey poos three times a day that need lots of wiping.

FAQ Tue 14-Oct-08 22:26:20

another votes for pull-ups.

DS3 is 16 months now - routine in the mornings (and evenings for bedtime(.

I strip his top off,
He runs to the gate giggling
I catch up with him and get his trousers down
He steps out of them and runs off
I catch him and whip the nappy off (very bad poos I do have to restrain him on the floor while I wipe him clean)
He runs off VERY happy, and playing with himself
I chase and put nappy on

Then leave him 5 minutes to play before repeating the process chasing him with each item of clothing to put it on (all while he's standing up).

Yes it takes longer - but it's so much less stressful - and he enjoys it as it's a game to him.

goldilocksandmylittlebear Tue 14-Oct-08 22:27:28

Thanks Bran......I have looked at these but i'm convinced he will flip it over and crawl of like a turtle!

LittleMissBliss Tue 14-Oct-08 22:29:25

Ds 11 months is also a pain. I have to pin his arms nown with my feet at the moment because he's teething and his poos are just awful. If its a wee i just let him crawl off for a bit then wipe him and put a clean one on. I do dred the dirty nappies though.

goldilocksandmylittlebear Tue 14-Oct-08 22:29:59

OMG FAQ you must be super fit! I just can't believe how energetic he is, he doesn't stop! I miss my endless cuddles and sitting together for hours, I loved the newborn stage!

TheHedgeWitch Tue 14-Oct-08 22:30:57

Message withdrawn

bran Tue 14-Oct-08 22:31:03

He can't, there is absolutely no way a child could flip that mat. The base of the mat doesn't flex at all, it's completely rigid and then has padding on top. Their little arms and legs are nowhere near long enough to get any leverage over the edge of the mat.

FAQ Tue 14-Oct-08 22:32:31

<<<<wonders what a cuddle and sitting for hours with a DC feels like - she can't remember>>>

actually I do get cuddles from DS2 still............sometimes - he's turning into a mummy's boy since exH left - although DS1 still firmly daddy's boy.

gigglewitch Tue 14-Oct-08 22:33:13

don't be daft. 11mo's don't even know still
They won't know if for about the next ten years either grin

goldilocksandmylittlebear Tue 14-Oct-08 22:36:00

So....the pinning down thing.....do you mean by feet by his head, holding down his body? I'll give that a go!

goldilocksandmylittlebear Tue 14-Oct-08 22:38:29

The whole on the move thing is really hard, why do they always want to get down when your carrying them somewhere where they just can't!!! Maybe it will be better when he can walk? But then during a nappie change he walk of! EAK!!!!

LittleMissBliss Tue 14-Oct-08 22:39:34

yes your feet pining his outstretched arms whilt one hand holds the leds and the other hand wipes. I have to be quite firm with my ds as he wryths like a serpants trying to get away.

FAQ Tue 14-Oct-08 22:44:38

envy of those of you have

a) have big enough hands to hold both legs
b) have baby legs small enough to be held by one hand

grin

goldilocksandmylittlebear Tue 14-Oct-08 22:45:54

It sounds like Yoga! I'll get limbering up for the morning! Thanks Littlemiss!

gigglewitch Tue 14-Oct-08 22:47:35

baby straightjacket?
grin

BloodshotEyeballsintheScarySky Tue 14-Oct-08 22:51:03

Would pull ups be ok for a 9mo? Houdini here makes me want to leave home sometimes. She just doesn't get how quick it could be if she just stayed still for 30 seconds. ARGH!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now