Talk

Advanced search

To ask my Mon- Fri lodger to pay to use the washing machine

(10 Posts)
ANTagony Tue 14-Oct-08 21:56:38

Moneys been tight and so I'm renting out 2 rooms in my house to lodgers Mon - Fri with evening meal. The lodgers have use of the lounge, dining room, bathroom and their room. One room has been taken by what seams like a nice bloke. Problem is he's taking the piss a bit. I don't mind him using the tea and coffee or milk. I bake daily and said he can use the fresh bread for sandwiches. However he's been helping himself to butter and sandwich fillings as well as other stuff in the fridge like my home made sausage rolls. I don't really mind too much but the thing thats taking the biscuit is I have a large load washing machine which he put on last night with just a pair of trousers in it and then left them in there when I said I could put them in with the load I was putting on today and again this evening he's put it on.

Ive googled laundry costs and recon its about £3 a time excluding washing tablets. So at the end of all that am I being unreasonable to say that use of the machine was not part of the agreement (it isn't listed in the contract under available facilities)and that if he wishes to use it the charge is £3/ time and that washing should be dried outside or in his room?

anyfucker Tue 14-Oct-08 22:01:54

how will you police it?

are you at home 24 hrs a day ?

why don't you just put the rent up to cover such utilities?

unless there is a launderette nearby, I think it is unreasonable to not allow this

Flibbertyjibbet Tue 14-Oct-08 22:03:14

You need to tell him that as he has been taking advantage of your good nature by basically raiding your fridge, that the offer of your tea coffee and bread is now withdrawn.
Also tell him that you have rethought the washing machine thing as he is taking advantage of your kind nature over that too, and tell him that you are happy for him to use your washing machine at £3 per load (about the same as a laundrette). And 20p per item tumble dried. That will soon get yer average bloke waiting till he has a full load and drying outside!

The piss takers always seem like SUCH NICE BLOKES.

Josie3 Tue 14-Oct-08 22:03:50

I think that's perfectly reasonable tbh. I would also suggest that you explain to him the 'houserules' again re food. Otherwise you are going to grow to resent him, and this will create an awful atmosphere in the house. Is it possible for you to label a couple of the shelves in thr fridge 'family shelves' and ask that lodgers do not use their contents?

TheSmallClanger Tue 14-Oct-08 22:06:49

I would be more annoyed about the food than the washing machine, I think. You need to have words about the fridge raiding, and perhaps make it really clear (with list if necessary)what is out of bounds and what isn't.

I personally wouldn't charge to use the washing machine - it will be impossible to enforce and will make you seem mean. Insisting on it being used for full loads is perfectly reasonable, though.

countrychic Tue 14-Oct-08 22:12:25

Mon - Fri lodger? He can wash on the weekend! Why not let him know that if he needs to wash one item he can do it by hand or with your washing only. If that does not suit he can go to a public laundry down the street. Maybe have a list - 'Lodgers boundaries' that they need to respect.
Good luck

morocco Tue 14-Oct-08 22:15:29

£3 a wash is a bit pricey shock. just put the rent up if it bothers you. but agree it is reasonable to insist on full loads and no fridge raiding. he sounds like he's taking the piss

ANTagony Tue 14-Oct-08 22:19:51

Thank you all, I feel a little less stressed by it for reading the responses. I did suggest he wash small loads by hand but his attitude was why!

I think I'm going to have to talk money with him. I don't mind adding extra ham, cheese butter etc to my shop if he's going to pay for it. I think I'll say that the washing machine just isn't part of the deal or maybe he can use it once a week. It is a mega drum and my boys and I only need use it typically once a week.

Yurtgirl Tue 14-Oct-08 22:28:39

I think £3 is quite reasonable given the convience etc - I dont expext launderette machines are much cheaper and nowhere near as convienent (sp!)

I am interested in what life is like with two extra adults (males?) in your house - do they sit in your lounge and watch tv with you

I for one would put the rent up if a lodger helped themselves to food and washing machine etc

Ronaldinhio Tue 14-Oct-08 22:39:23

yabu but he should pay for things like washing tablets and any offdstuffs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now