Talk

Advanced search

If someone asked you ...

(20 Posts)
nolongeraworriedmummy Sun 12-Oct-08 16:34:06

to take part in a university documentary as part of a coursework project to be shown at uni in class and your child was with you when you answered their question and therefore on film, how would you then feel if you found said footage on youtube?

LadyOfWaffleIsScaryEnough Sun 12-Oct-08 16:36:38

If you agreed to be filmed i'd not be totally shcked... dep. on what they implied would happen with footage.

SpandexIsMyEnemy Sun 12-Oct-08 16:36:59

pissed off very pissed off. I think i'd demand it was taken out of the public forum as well - in fact I would if my child was on it.

althou did they say it was only going to be shown to the uni class?

lulumama Sun 12-Oct-08 16:38:33

i don;t think i;d be cross

mawbroon Sun 12-Oct-08 16:43:36

I think it would depend what was agreed beforehand.

I am on the internet talking about my experiences breastfeeding, and it was made very clear that although I was sitting feeding ds at the time, he would not be filmed and would not appear on the video.

Did you sign anything? Normally these things are bound up in all sorts of legal stuff.

nolongeraworriedmummy Sun 12-Oct-08 16:44:19

the footage was as far as I know to be shown in class at uni as a project on peoples views about a certain issue.

WelliesAndPyjamas Sun 12-Oct-08 16:44:53

did you sign any sort of agreement about how they'd be allowed to use the footage?

lulumama Sun 12-Oct-08 16:46:42

but what is it you are worried about ? the footage being on youtube .. and?

certainly if it breaches what is agreed then that is a different issue

mazzystartled Sun 12-Oct-08 16:47:42

i'd be furious
you agreed to taking part in film to be shown in class
instead it is on the internet

doubly problematic to iinclude yvur child
would be livid and ask for its removal

lulumama Sun 12-Oct-08 16:48:07

maybe i am being too laid back then

WelliesAndPyjamas Sun 12-Oct-08 16:53:55

I'm kind of with you on this, lulu. I probably wouldn't have allowed them to include DC in the film without some sort of agreement on its use anyway. But then I have been caught out in a similar way before so have become bitter learnt from my experiences. OTOH I understand your discomfort nolongeraworriedmummy.

mazzystartled Sun 12-Oct-08 16:55:26

i would probably be quite happy to help someone out by including my views in an education project
but i really would not want my views, or my image, or that of my child to be published on the internet without my say-so

BitOfFungusthebogeyman Sun 12-Oct-08 16:57:46

why would it worry you? It doesn't sound like it's going to go viral! And I don't understand why your DC being in the frame is a big deal either. Maybe it's just me, but I think people get a bit hysterical about this sort of stuff.

PeaMcLean Sun 12-Oct-08 17:01:50

Would depend on what the film was about. Is the subject stuff you're happy to have the public domain?

mazzystartled Sun 12-Oct-08 17:05:00

for me, it is simply because i would prefer to be in control of my own image
no paranoia
its just bad practice, and a breach of a tacit agreement
if the person had made it clear they wanted to publish it from the outset i would maybe have a. decided against taking part; b. presented my views differently
all hypothetical of course, but it would matter to me

nolongeraworriedmummy Sun 12-Oct-08 17:21:53

not me but someone I know, ok I was trying not to go into too much detail but One of childrens parents is in public eye but have always made a huge attempt for their child not to be and have suceeded, person agreed to be filmed answering the question for us within the classroom as part of a students project in a different country.

nolongeraworriedmummy Sun 12-Oct-08 17:22:29

for use not for us!

Mumi Sun 12-Oct-08 17:58:25

At my university, one of the conditions was that any work made while a student with them belonged to the university, so contact them because if they own the copyright, they will have the power to have it taken down.

nolongeraworriedmummy Sun 12-Oct-08 18:10:44

thanks mumi, I will let them know

AprilMeadow Sun 12-Oct-08 18:22:12

Surely if they are in the public eye then they would have known they should have signed a usage release for, which would have detailled what the film was to be used for. If they had signed something then the terms would have been set out, although if it just stated that the maker of the film held the rights and could use it for what ever they liked then there isnt anything really they can do as they agreed to those terms. If they signed nothing then they are fools.

I worked for a design agency and we had to have model release forms for every model/actress we hired. They had to state the project we were hiring them for and also who held the rights, either us as the agency or our client. Also had to say what the shoot was for, ad campaign, branding and also if necessary the lenght of time the images/film could be used for. When children were involved that was even more detailled.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now