Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to nick some logs out of a park?

(20 Posts)
GordonTheGhoul Fri 10-Oct-08 20:32:49

Ok so I've used the word 'nick'. But is it stealing really? How is it different to taking some leaves for a collage?

It was only one big log. And not that big. I dragged it back to the car. An old lady did look at me disapprovingly. hmm

SO should I drag it back to the park tomorrow or set fire to it tonight and keep warm?

kiltycoldbum Fri 10-Oct-08 20:33:45

times are hard keep warm!

BCNS Fri 10-Oct-08 20:34:03

set fire to it !

LadyOfWaffleIsScaryEnough Fri 10-Oct-08 20:34:39

aren't they just cleared anyway? not like you chopped down a tree...

heavy Fri 10-Oct-08 20:35:04

you should have waited till they chopped it into logs first gordon!

GordonTheGhoul Fri 10-Oct-08 20:36:13

No it was hiding in the undergrowth - could have been there for years!

FangolinaJolly Fri 10-Oct-08 20:38:22

I have recently gone wood collecting with ds in our local forest and snaffled loads of dead branches from the floor.Much cheaper than paying for a bag of logsYANBU.

kiltycoldbum Fri 10-Oct-08 20:43:23

we found someone have a tree chopped down in their garden (round the corner from us) the other day and asked the man chopping if instead of just getting rid of it which would have cost him whether we could have it instead, he promptly delivered a whole tree to us! It was chopped into big massive bits so my dh got the axe out and chopped it into lots of logs that are currently keeping me warm! Hard work (for dh!) but free!

KatyMac Fri 10-Oct-08 20:45:32

Put it to one side for a year & burn it then

Wood needs to be seasoned

southeastastra Fri 10-Oct-08 20:48:19

lol bet he was pleased to get rid of it like that kilty

don't take them from parks!

uberalice Fri 10-Oct-08 20:51:38

YANBU. We do this too.

poshbloodencrustedwellies Fri 10-Oct-08 20:53:19

We always do 'sticking' -snaffling wood thats fallen or hanging about the local lanes/fields before it gets cold,for our fire.

Think you can ask for a brush license from your local forestry if you want to get loads of freebie wood-helps them out with fallen trees.Need a pretty big chainsaw for that though.

Dh has spent 4 hrs chopping wood this week,a tree was kindly given to us from someone who has a glut of wood for this year.

RustyBear Fri 10-Oct-08 20:53:23

Dead wood is often left in parks & woodland as a habitat for insects, to encourage birds.
I don't suppose you've destroyed the entire eco-system of the park by removing one log, but it's not really a Good Thing to do.

ProfYaffle Fri 10-Oct-08 20:55:28

My mate does this sort of stuff all the time, she heats her whole house all year for free! Last year she blagged our town xmas tree, accosted the men who were taking it down, got them to chop it up for her then she took it away.

KatyMac Fri 10-Oct-08 20:57:11

poshbloodencrustedwellies - your local forestry what, how do I contact them?

kiltycoldbum Fri 10-Oct-08 21:00:22

southeastastra i know an hour later it was on our drive! we were chuffed! we live in the countryside so often keep an eye out for any of the tree felling chaps by us and ask them what they plan on doing with the tree theyre chopping down, we get loads of free trees its great! The one im burning now isnt seasoned but its burning lovely, lasts a bit longer as well!
Have to give lots of credit to my dp though who gets out there and chops them all up and stacks them, he's fab! (even when poorly! yay my dp!)

poshbloodencrustedwellies Fri 10-Oct-08 21:01:20

www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/infd-5ygfhr

Looks like you don't need a license for felling dead trees

KatyMac Fri 10-Oct-08 21:09:31

Isn't that on land you own?

southeastastra Fri 10-Oct-08 21:13:39

i have a pile of concrete rocks that i have to get rid of kilty, i'd rather live in the countryside

kiltycoldbum Fri 10-Oct-08 21:20:27

hmm no sorry i dont need concrete rocks apologies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now