to be gutted at being conned by this

(17 Posts)
jammi Fri 10-Oct-08 11:57:22

Message withdrawn

Sycamoretree Fri 10-Oct-08 15:48:08

until you see your phone bill...

forevercleaning Fri 10-Oct-08 15:50:05

whats the saying

'if somethings seems to good to be tru, it usually is' or words to that effect.

Shame though, would have been a great holiday.

SatanicGore Fri 10-Oct-08 16:07:19

Is it Seasons?

It is genuine and the phone call is free, but the package is pretty crap because it only covers off season weeks.

In about a month I bet you will receive a follow up letter, offering you the first year management fees for half price.

If you can take a break in those off season weeks, then the first year can be worth taking up at the half rates. You can then sell the whole package privately if you want to.

I know someone who managed to sell hers for £1500. You have to own the package for a year though, and pay those first fees, before you can sell.

BlessThisMess Fri 10-Oct-08 18:34:13

I got one of those earlier in the year too. I was so excited when I saw we had won a holiday worth £3750, and very disappointed when I found out what a con it was.

And I'm STILL getting letters from them saying "can't understand why you don't take this up...." etc.

hecAteTheirBrains Fri 10-Oct-08 18:35:47

you only get free cheese in a mouse trap

notsoteenagemum Fri 10-Oct-08 18:41:09

YANBU These kind of things are a pita, I once 'won' an unpolished emerald I was supposed to pay £30 to have made into a stunning pendant!!

SatanicGore Fri 10-Oct-08 18:47:07

This one isn't a con though.

It is a sales technique, yes, but it is a genuine prize of a time-share package worth £3750. The fact that you have to pay management fees is bloody annoying, but it doesn't make the prize any less genuine.

I wouldn't want to take the risk now because of the financial outlook, but my mate was happy with a 2 week holiday for just £200 and £1500 cash (18 months later when she sold).

Not exactly a poke in the eye.

soultaken Fri 10-Oct-08 18:48:46

Why are these timeshares only ever available in term time?

witcheseve Fri 10-Oct-08 19:10:01

Nearly got conned myself once it was a free holiday just to turn up at a presentation. Its was such hard sell they almost wouldn't let you out the door. Decided not to go on the free holiday as they subjected you to the same once there.

Nothing in life is free.

Sycamoretree Fri 10-Oct-08 23:32:13

Satanic, do you have any involvement in these schemes by any chance?

Of course it's not a genuine prize if you have to part with cash to win it.

It's a con because it's not what it appears to be when they first tell you you have won. If it was, you would call up, arrange a date, and get sent your tickets.

It wouldn't cost you a penny.

Not sure why you're defending the strategy hmm. It is basically dishonest.

SaTanicGore Fri 10-Oct-08 23:36:12

No involvement.

We won one, but as I said we didn't want to risk the cash right now plus we can't take off season holidays.

I am not defending the strategy I am just pointing out that it is not the out-and-out con that some are implying. It is simply a crap sales technique, typical of time share companies.

mumoverseas Sat 11-Oct-08 07:20:17

on the 'scams' note, I've received a very odd email this morning, titled 'wins!!!' It basically quotes a ticket number and seems to imply that I've won one million pounds! seems all very odd and the email quotes a time and date of the draw and wants me to send an email (no phoning expensive 0800 numbers) confirming my details, ie full name, age, address, phone numbers and occupation etc to another email address.
sounds very odd! My DH is away until next week but think I'll get him to deal with it.

Koshka Sat 11-Oct-08 07:22:48

satanicgore.....why did you change your nickname halfway through this post?

fymandbean Sat 11-Oct-08 07:22:58

mumoverseas - delete it! It is a scam - when you reply they will ask for a fee to 'tranfer' the £1m to you! complete scam

mumoverseas Sat 11-Oct-08 07:24:59

mmmm, thought so, didn't think I'd be that lucky! was a bit curious though as DH and myself bought some raffle tickets online for a million pound property which was being raffled (this was definitely all in order as was in the papers and had solicitors involved) wondered if it was something to do with that. Oh well, never mind!

Koshka Sat 11-Oct-08 07:49:01

never mind, just worked out your St George

sorry...12 hour shifts do this to you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now