Talk

Advanced search

to ban hair straightners for 16 year old?

(35 Posts)
Divvy Fri 10-Oct-08 11:25:50

As she left them on, and only found out just now. So they hav been on since 7am.

If I hadnt wanted to plug the radio on in there room, they would have been left on till maybe 9pm tonight.

Would the house have burned down by then?

They were left on the corner of a unit, but if they fell on the floor, they would have been ontop of clothes.

InvisibleCherryChapstick Fri 10-Oct-08 11:29:00

Naughty girl!
It makes you wonder if this has happenned before and she's kept it quiet.
No, YANBU.

Divvy Fri 10-Oct-08 11:30:15

Could they cause a fire do you think though?

VinegARGHHHTits Fri 10-Oct-08 11:30:29

I have left mine on loads of times blush please dont ban them for 36 yr olds i look like a walking armpit without them

Firway Fri 10-Oct-08 11:30:55

My daughter regulary went to school without switching off her straighteners. I bought her a more expensive make with a thermostat that switches off automatically if they are left on too long. I still check her bedroom every morning though!

Sanctuary Fri 10-Oct-08 11:31:23

I would take the plug off and not tell her.

Would`nt give her the plug back till she was responsible enough to *switch em off*

BlingLovin Fri 10-Oct-08 11:31:44

Sorry, YABU. Mistakes happen, the lesson must be learned but banning a key item of grooming seems a bit harsh.

If I had had hair straighteners when I was 16, I am convinced my entire life would have been different!

InvisibleCherryChapstick Fri 10-Oct-08 11:32:05

I don't think so, but they gobble up the electric and could have melted something.
I daresay they would have burnt themselves out before combustion.

loobeylou Fri 10-Oct-08 11:32:32

yes, i am sure I have heard of caseS where these sort of things have set fire to the bed when left on etc - you can't be too careful!

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Fri 10-Oct-08 11:32:56

I would say that you are going to check them every morning and if they are left on once more they will be banned!

BlingLovin Fri 10-Oct-08 11:33:06

Also, is this the first time? Or a regular issue? That should impact punishment.

It's unlikely to cause a fire anyway, although it still shouldn't be left on.

Sanctuary Fri 10-Oct-08 11:33:43

Don`t think they would burn the house down just a hole in her clothes underneath

InvisibleCherryChapstick Fri 10-Oct-08 11:33:53

Perhaps you could compromise by allowing her the straighteners but telling her to use them in the kitchen so you can check they are off.

WendyWeber Fri 10-Oct-08 11:36:10

How about saying she can still use them, but only in the living room (or some other family room where there is a mirror)? Then you'll easily be able to check on them.

WendyWeber Fri 10-Oct-08 11:36:32

X-posts, cherry grin

Divvy Fri 10-Oct-08 11:37:33

They funny thing about this is....she works in a salon, so knows they have to be turned off.

Good I hate teens, its not just this really, I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with life right now.

pingping Fri 10-Oct-08 11:38:27

If you ban them is she likely to kick off??? Have you told her about this before? Maybe talk to her about it before banning them.

I leave mine on all the time I am 24 blush but I also have ones that switches off after a while. I once left the iron on when I went out and I must of knocked it over on the rug came home 7hrs later and my room was very smokie I was lucky that the rug didnt catch a light even though there was a big burn mark in the rug sad

loobeylou Fri 10-Oct-08 11:38:58

JUST DID A QUICK GOOGLE FOR "HAIR STRAIGHTENERS CAUSE FIRE" AND FOUND THIS WHICH I HAVE COPY AND PASTED AS DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO A LINK!

Hair straighteners cause fire at Lostock Hall hotel
10:31am Wednesday 1st October 2008

Comments (0) Have your say »

By Nazia Parveen »

Fire crews were called to a fire at a hotel in Lostock Hall after ceramic hair straighteners set alight.

Five firefighters dealt with the fire in the Premier Inn hotel, in Lostock Lane, Lostock Hall, at just after 10.50pm, last night.

No-one was injured.

SO THERE YOU GO YOU CAN'T BE TOO CAREFUL, I ALWAYS UNPLUG MINE AND CHECK THE IRON AFTER DH HAS USED IT TOO! WHAT MIGHT HAVE HAPPENED IF YOU HAD BEEN OUT ALL DAY? - IT IS SERIOUS AND AT 16 SHE SHOULD UNDERSTAND THAT

InvisibleCherryChapstick Fri 10-Oct-08 11:40:29

Divvy.
Forget the straightners.
What's really bothering you?
Tell Auntie Chapstick.

Divvy Fri 10-Oct-08 11:45:27

10 week old baby
breastfeeding
tired
19 month old
eldest dd bf has more money coming in there household, than is accounted for....
16 year old pushing boundries
not had sex for 10 weeks...

is that enough for now?

LouMacca Fri 10-Oct-08 11:47:50

Same as Blinglovin.

I would have loved hair straighteners at 16. Instead endured years of frizzy/kinky hair. I feel so good about my hair now!

Please don't ban them.

I have a protector pad for mine. You can lay the straighteners on it while using them and if they are left on by mistake no harm done (cept lecky bill of course!)

loobeylou Fri 10-Oct-08 11:48:01

[sends divvy a hug and a great big double choccy muffin]

LouMacca Fri 10-Oct-08 11:48:51

OOOh just seen loobeylou post! shock

InvisibleCherryChapstick Fri 10-Oct-08 11:54:53

That'll do.
10 week old baby means you are not getting enough sleep. Am I right? You must look after yourself as you are the glue holding your family together, you have to be strong. Do you have a lay down with baby? When he/she has a feed you could curl up on the sofa together. If you don't nap at least you will be rested. While you are doing that your 19 month old can watch a DVD, or go up for their nap.
I guess your eldest DD has moved out, so what money they have is their concern, not yours, you have enough on your plate and she is big enough to take care of herself.
Teenagers... Pah, I have some of those too. What is the answer with them? Ignore them? Just laugh at them?
As for your last item on the list.... why haven't you had sex in 10 weeks? Obviously, the baby, but at least once. No?
Jump his bones my love!

Divvy Fri 10-Oct-08 11:59:07

i texted her and said you are lucky i went in your room.

it prompted a phone call from her.....she is mortified that she left them on! grin and has promised to never do it again!

i think i will get her use them down stairs from now on though, good idea, as i can check them down here. as a mother of teens....i dont go in there dump room!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now