Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think that the 'sitting in your school team at lunchtime' thing is stupid?

(40 Posts)
Eniddo Wed 08-Oct-08 13:10:39

at dd1 and dd2s state primary the new head has introduced a rule that all children have to sit in their school teams (like houses) at lunchtime - therefore my dd1 is unable to sit with any of her close friends, which she doesn't like very much. They are also being given points for behaviour at lunchtime.

I don't like this (and neither does dd1) as I feel it makes lunchtime quite competitive - why cant they be left in peace to eat their sandwich fgs without worrying about eating with their mouths open.

I spoke to the head who said that I, and another mum who complained, were the only ones who had a problem with it hmm and she was doing it as the lunchtime supervisors couldnt disciplilne the badly behaved children properly. To get this into persepective, it is a small school (100 pupils) full of nice kids, probably 5 of them in the whole school are a bit 'wild'.

AIBU?

RubyRioja Wed 08-Oct-08 13:11:35

DD is suggesting it to her school council.

I think she imagines it will turn her school into Hogwarts tbh

Eniddo Wed 08-Oct-08 13:12:04

really

MamaG Wed 08-Oct-08 13:13:09

No. It pees me off as well. also a small school and they have set places to sit, in their "houses". DS (reception) is on a table of 6 with no other reception children, all older. DD (y5) tries to keeps an eye on him and had to go over to his table yesterday to tell a girl to leave him alone - girl and DS were fighting by tugging at his lunchbag and DS was obviously a bit upset.

Little bitch grin

Tamarto Wed 08-Oct-08 13:13:19

I wouldn't like it, but i don't have a problem with them getting points for behaviour at lunchtime.

Eniddo Wed 08-Oct-08 13:14:11

lol

ok its good to know that other shcools do it

tbh I think I am pissed off as all the kids seem immaculately behaved and it irritates me that the new head treats them like criminals

MamaG Wed 08-Oct-08 13:14:16

and yes, I did just call a 6 year old girla bitch grin

Anna8888 Wed 08-Oct-08 13:14:43

sad

I think that children should be allowed to relax with their friends at lunch time.

Eniddo Wed 08-Oct-08 13:14:49

ok what I dont understand about points is why doesnt my dd1 get points every fricking lunchtime

she has good manners.

Tortington Wed 08-Oct-08 13:15:12

i think if the level of parental consultation is gauged on the complaints you recieve after implimentation, its...its... astounding.

what if other industries worked this way - the NHS - we are implimenting a one doctor for the whole country approach.....only 1000 out of 7 million potential customers complained - ergo it must be fine?

wha tosh

Overmydeadbody Wed 08-Oct-08 13:15:21

I think YABU.

Nothing wrong with getting points for good behaviour at lunchtime.

At DS's school the school lunch children sit seperately to the lunchbox children, so DS is seperated fom his best friends, but it doesn't matter, it means he gets to know other children that he might not otherwise.

Eniddo Wed 08-Oct-08 13:15:22

hear hear anna

mamag you are a woman after the new heads heart wink

Eniddo Wed 08-Oct-08 13:16:02

thanks custy

I love that and will use it in any further arguements

Overmydeadbody Wed 08-Oct-08 13:16:47

I think custy makes a good point though.

MamaG Wed 08-Oct-08 13:17:13

Enid I am not. I said YANBU and i don't like it <stamps on enid's foot>

Anna8888 Wed 08-Oct-08 13:17:15

Is the new head a "rules and regulations" maniac in other respects?

Eniddo Wed 08-Oct-08 13:18:00

i am soooooooo tempted to ask her if she really did call some of the girls 'bitches'

LynetteScavo Wed 08-Oct-08 13:18:40

DS1s school do this.

It's never bothered him. Or me. And I get bothered by a lot of stuff grin

MamaG Wed 08-Oct-08 13:18:42

lol

Do ask, and let us know what she says

Eniddo Wed 08-Oct-08 13:18:45

she has implemented a lot of happy clappy rules and loads of behaviour rewards

which I HATE personally but I thikn I am in a minority

Anna8888 Wed 08-Oct-08 13:19:28

sad Sounds bad to me...

VictorianSqualorSquelchNSquirm Wed 08-Oct-08 13:20:11

Aren't the children in class houses? I think DD's school have to sit in class groups, but she is in that class all day so it's not like she isn't used to it.

However..I completely disagree with "why cant they be left in peace to eat their sandwich fgs without worrying about eating with their mouths open?"

It's horrid. DD always had perfect table manners, as does DS1 (At the moment) but just lately she has been slacking. It's nasty, I don't want to see her dinner going round her gob like a washing machine. This, IMO, is simply because at school they don't have to use manners and instead sit and chat all the way through dinner like little animals.

She has been told if this carries on she'll be coming home for lunch. I will not have look like she thinks the way to eat is resembling a hippo.

Eniddo Wed 08-Oct-08 13:20:47

yes

I really dont like her

she also wears a lot of per una and has a dodgy perm

and i KNOW that my dd1 works diligently and has some of the nicest manners in the school so why isnt she being bombarded with points and rewards??

Tamarto Wed 08-Oct-08 13:20:49

I do have an issue when points or merits or whatever are distributed unfairly, ie a 'good' child will get one for behaving at lunch occasionally, but a 'naughty' child gets on every single time they behave at lunch.

What exactly is that teaching those who behave?

LynetteScavo Wed 08-Oct-08 13:21:59

DS2 has a lunch time "family" he is in the cherry family and can only sit on a table with a cherry table cloth. This way children get to mix with children from other years. The arangement is new this year, and I really like it, and DS2 is happy with it. I have heard parents grumbling on the playground, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now