Talk

Advanced search

To wish that it was legal to slap people who patted pregnant bellies?

(59 Posts)
TheHedgeWitch Wed 08-Oct-08 09:22:07

Message withdrawn

EnchantedWithEdwardCullen Wed 08-Oct-08 09:23:20

No-ones done it to me yet... except the woman who runs my art course... but she asked permission first!

I must look unapproachable!

EnchantedWithEdwardCullen Wed 08-Oct-08 09:23:31

and Im almost 29 weeks!

PeterCushi0n Wed 08-Oct-08 09:26:07

It never really bothered me if I knew the person doing the patting, but I was always surprised at the amount of people who did it without asking.

I'd never touch someone's stomach without asking them if it was OK.

I am steadfastly British about the whole thing. grin

Upwind Wed 08-Oct-08 09:28:26

I posted similar a few weeks ago and got some brilliant advice if you search for the thread.

I especially liked the idea of patting their bellies back grin

TheHedgeWitch Wed 08-Oct-08 09:36:48

Message withdrawn

Upwind Wed 08-Oct-08 09:46:44

Nobody ever touched my stomach like that before I was pregnant. It is like you suddenly become public property, less of a person in your own right...

anniemac Wed 08-Oct-08 10:00:20

Message withdrawn

jumpingbeans Wed 08-Oct-08 10:02:17

Must admit i find it strange that anyone would want to pat anyone's tum, pregnant or not

BitOfFungusthebogeyman Wed 08-Oct-08 10:03:02

it bothered me more when someone I hadn't seen for a while rubbed mine. I had to say I had just got a bit fat...

Simplysally Wed 08-Oct-08 10:03:06

It's probably hard to do but if someone touches your stomach without your permission, pat their tummy. When they look surprised, ask them why they felt able to do it to you without asking.

mumoverseas Wed 08-Oct-08 10:16:40

YANBU. I'm 19 weeks and someone did it to me for the first time last week, its very odd isn't it?

FlirtyThirty Wed 08-Oct-08 10:27:11

I am only 11+5 so not showing yet...but I am staggered that people actually do this! I would have no proplem with family...but random strangers will get short shrift if they try! Love the 'pat theirs back' strategy...I will remember that!

babyignoramus Wed 08-Oct-08 13:20:29

No-ones done it me yet (20 weeks), although I am told I look unapproachable! Mousetraps is the answer I think.

mabanana Wed 08-Oct-08 13:21:38

Nobody did it to me - I have fearsome body language, clearly!

LittleMyDancingWithTheDevil Wed 08-Oct-08 13:23:35

God, FIL does this. It drives me mad.

MamaG Wed 08-Oct-08 13:24:39

I don't give a shit

Am 37 weeks tomorrow and it doesn't bother me at all, its not like they are squeezing my nork

FruitynNutty Wed 08-Oct-08 13:26:17

I love people patting my tummy!

I don't understand why anyone would get annoyed with it hmm

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 08-Oct-08 13:28:29

agree - my friends heavily pregnant and all these strangers come and pat/rub her in shops/middle of street etc

it really pisses her off, and she tells them

they are complete strangers who do it

sure they wouldnt like someone come and touch their tummy

just the same as it pisses me off that old grannies touch my charges face when in buggy etc when out

who knows where their fingers have been hmm

i tell them not to - again these are complete strangers

LittleMyDancingWithTheDevil Wed 08-Oct-08 13:29:59

It depends who, to be honest.

Friends is fine.

Strangers is not.

FIL is definitely not, he drives me mad anyway.

RedOnHerBeheadedHead Wed 08-Oct-08 13:30:18

I hated it too!
mind you I also hate random strangers touching my baby - HATE it when they touch his hands - they might have not washed them after going to the toilet, been handling money (the worst culprit)!!!! Though i think this stems from DS1 having a threadworm in his nappy at only 9 or 10months old - I was mortified! The doc said that he could have got it from anywhere especially because he sucked his thumb. It was the doc that suggested scratch mitts or gloves if we were going out because when people handle money (which is a carrier of all sorts of bacteria) and then touch a baby's hand - the baby will inevitably get those germs in his / her mouth! Just a thought for all you pregnant ladies, to try and minimise strangers touching your babies when they are born.

CicatrickOrTreat Wed 08-Oct-08 13:31:51

Nobody ever did it to me. Not even family.

I had a bad pregnancy, so probably looked a bit bitey though.

It is a strange compulsion that some people have.

mabanana Wed 08-Oct-08 13:35:07

really fruit'n'nutty - do you always enjoy being pawed by strangers and work colleagues? Would you let your boss stroke your legs, or a stranger in a supermarket fondle your boobs!?

bronze Wed 08-Oct-08 13:37:56

If someone does it to you. Just grab their arse.

Gettingbiggernow Wed 08-Oct-08 13:40:19

I think some people do it because they don't know what to say - or don't realise how annoying/intrusive it can be.

Funnily enough it's my own mum who annoys me the most by doing this - she "cops a quick feel to see how big" I'm getting (ie pouncing on me unexpectedly and rubbing her hands up, down and around my bump - this annoys me more than the random "bump pressers/light touchers"!!!

When I said "Ooh, Mum, d'you know it goes right through me having my bump rubbed!" she was MOST offended!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now