Talk

Advanced search

to not send Ds's to harvest festival this morning??????????

(189 Posts)
frangipan Wed 08-Oct-08 07:55:35

Its a matter of principal I suppose.
last year and this year each child has to find 1 of each coin of the realm (£1.88) and tape it to a sheet to take into harvest for wateraid in underdeveloped countries.
We always used to send in food for the local community which was great, we all had a choice to send what we could spare, whether that was a tin of beans or a bag full, it was all put together and taken into church.
Now I feel we are being forced to give money to cause I know nothing about...and if I don't send DS's in with it they will be ostricised(sp) from the service and I don't feel happy about that, so I'm keeping them off until 11.30 AIBU...probrably grin
so what do you think?????

scaryteacher Wed 08-Oct-08 08:01:21

Wateraid is a good cause I think, but I always liked the idea of harvest festival being food related (which it is of course) and that the elderly and less well off in the community got the benefit of others generosity.

Perhaps the school finds it easier to donate money rather than distribute goods.

YANBU.....could you have a word with the school about it?

Lauriefairycake Wed 08-Oct-08 08:01:45

can't you look up wateraid on the net.

Seems a worthwhile cause to me......

TheHedgeWitch Wed 08-Oct-08 08:03:10

Message withdrawn

frangipan Wed 08-Oct-08 08:06:09

I have written a letter to school and church as I'm not sure which one made the decision to do this, I would gladly give a donation to water aid, (but a donation of my choice and not for harvest festival)
I actually feel really bad for the elderly and others who used to receive our donations at harvest as they now aren't getting anythingsad

MadameCastafiore Wed 08-Oct-08 08:06:47

Does it mean you can't eat tonight if you give the £1.88?

If not I think it is pretty petty and you are doing something that could case your child to be ostracised and you not looked upon entirely favourably for the sake of less that £2!

Educate yourself and then make the decision. Think how much money it costs to distribute the cans of beans etc and how much a difference they make to how much of a difference your £1.88 will make.

frangipan Wed 08-Oct-08 08:08:50

I don't mind giving to wateraid lauriefairycake but not for harvest, and what about our local community? they get nothing now, plus its upto each parent what they can aford to give, now its 1.88 flat rate!

frangipan Wed 08-Oct-08 08:12:04

Harvest is about food,I have educated myself and I made a decision. I can afford the 1.88 each thats not the issue, the issue is its not going to the local community and it has taken the choice away from all the parents as to what they give, I have always been very generous at harvest.

DaisySteiner Wed 08-Oct-08 08:12:40

I would be irritated by the £1.88, but I thnink YABU not to take part. I didn't think schools could really do the food thing any mroe because of health and safety yadda yadda. I also don't really believe that most of the elderly are completely dependent on being given free food at Harvest Festival. £1.88 to Wateraid is likely to make a much, much bigger difference to those people than a few tins of baked beans would to an elderly person in this country.

frangipan Wed 08-Oct-08 08:14:39

plus, i am not going to give 2 x 1.88 just so I am looked upon favourably by the school.
The children used to help distribute the food in the past so they could see how their donations helped.

frangipan Wed 08-Oct-08 08:16:50

its a good lesson for the children with the food, I have suggested that wateraid is done seperately to harvest festival.

hippipotami Wed 08-Oct-08 08:19:43

Schools still do the food thing Daisy, at least our school does [hippi stuffs a jar of apple sauce and a box of biscuits into ds's school bag] They put together 4 fabulous hampers (one for each yeargroup) and these go to the local homeless shelter, women's refuge, a day care centre for poor old folk and one other worthy cause I cannot remember just now.
But then at our Harvest, when you arrive, there are children with buckets collecting for some charity or another. Usually WaterAid or similar And it looks bad if you walk in without throwing something into the bucket, so we get stung twice...

frangipan Wed 08-Oct-08 08:19:53

some of our pensioners are living in poverty and are exceedingly grateful for a few donations(incidently i never sent beans...grin)

frangipan Wed 08-Oct-08 08:23:21

Hippipotami-at least you can choose how much money you want to donate into the bucket..it doesn't say £1.88 please, i think thats what really annoys me, but it must be frustrating for you , however I would gladly do as your ds's school does because I can choose what I give....I'm rambling!

stroppyknickers Wed 08-Oct-08 08:25:23

Well, ds (infants) had to take in food, and decorated a hamper and we discussed it all. Lovely. DD (9) has to provide hard cash for a school in Malawi (sp?) and the class coughing up the most gets a prize. I know which I feel more engaged with. Plus, I know harvest festival is about my community and am happy to join in, but I prefer to research and choose my charities myself. So I am a mean and heartless too.

Gettingbiggernow Wed 08-Oct-08 08:29:21

I agree with Frangipan - why can't others see it's not that you don't like Wateraid or think it's a good cause? more how is it related to Harvest Festival?

It is important to teach children about supporting their own local community, and in ways that don't always involve just sending in money.

It also teaches respect and recognition of the elderley generation, something that appears to be becoming increasingly lacking.

frangipan Wed 08-Oct-08 08:34:18

we are putting together our own small hamper this morning to take up to the salvation army in town...
shock at stroppyknockers dd and a prize for raising th most money!!!!!

frangipan Wed 08-Oct-08 08:35:08

sorry stroppyknickers..........

frangipan Wed 08-Oct-08 08:35:57

i totally agree GBN!

symptomchecker Wed 08-Oct-08 08:40:45

i would be irritated about being told how much i have to donate too....i think we should have a choice.why don't you go in with them and suggest to whoever's there that next year people be given an option to donate either food or money.smile
by the way,your children should not be ostricised for not giving a donation.that's terrible!

frangipan Wed 08-Oct-08 08:43:03

Each child takes up their sheet of coins. no sheet=sitting in the pew where everyone can see you haven't got one.

frangipan Wed 08-Oct-08 08:44:28

good idea symptomchecker!

FAQ Wed 08-Oct-08 08:50:03

but wateraid is also about food - it's about providing clean water so that people can

a) cook with safe water
b) 90% of sewage in the developing world runs untreated in to rivers, this not only affects the aquatic life (fish - which can be some people's source of food) but this water is often diverted to use for watering crops. The same water is used to wash the crops and cook the crops in....

This page here on the Wateraid website gives a little insight into how providing clean water is linked to "harvest". and another page here

Lets face it - no water means no food - we've all heard how "it was a dry summer so the harvest was poor"......

frangipan Wed 08-Oct-08 08:51:14

haven't got a problem giving to wateraid, have a problem with it replacing traditional community based harvest festival!

snorkle Wed 08-Oct-08 08:51:27

You should just be glad they've not included the £2 coin in their set - that would more than double the required contribution.

I know in some places local organisations get swamped with food at harvest time, a lot of which can't be used for various reasons (too much, so goes off; health & safety reasons etc.) and so it goes to waste. Perhaps this is the case in your area too?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now