Talk

Advanced search

to ask ds to re-do these homework sentences?

(12 Posts)
3kids1cat Tue 07-Oct-08 17:54:27

Ds in year 3. One homework task was to write interesting sentences including the words - 'and' 'but' 'so' 'because'.

He has written....

ds and lots of nice friends.

cool but not hard or fast.

you are so not cool.

why? Because you need to.

I'm not satisfied that these are either good enough, interesting, or very nice. AIBU?

RubberDuck Tue 07-Oct-08 17:57:24

You know... I would be SO tempted to get him to rewrite them. But after a lot of homework grief, I've decided the best policy is to leave it and let the teacher see what their initial effort is (unless they get really stuck and ask me for help). If ds1 is careless with his homework, then he carries the responsibility for that and not me.

I've BEEN to school, I've done my time (and my homework grin) - it's his turn now

3kids1cat Tue 07-Oct-08 18:06:49

I know you're right RubberDuck, but 'cool but not hard or fast' ???? I don't even understand what that means. It's like he has just written the first words that came into his head!

hana Tue 07-Oct-08 18:08:55

At 7/8 years old, I'd explain that they really aren't sentences and to do it with him. write a note explaining what you've done to his teacher

Moomin Tue 07-Oct-08 18:10:59

See your point, 3k1c. My fingers would be twitching to correct that - or write a big WHAT? on it grin

I guess it depends on how close the teacher maarks it. Will s/he just mark it as 'not an interesting sentence' or will they ask him to re-do them and see why they're not good sentences? I can't see that they won't be re-inforcing this in class and looking at how to use those connectives effectively, so hopefully your ds will get the chance ti improve them himself and also learn that it's not just you 'getting at him'!

FlirtyThirty Tue 07-Oct-08 18:13:19

They are incomplete sentences for a start.
I would be asking him to do them again...but only after discussing some more appropriate/interesting ones...

RubberDuck Tue 07-Oct-08 18:14:09

How receptive is he to you suggesting changes? Is he the rolling eyes and huffing sort of 7 year old? Or the bursting into tears and saying "it's too HARD" 7 year old? Or is he likely to (grudgingly) think again and change it?

I think it depends a LOT on their personality If you're really concerned perhaps a quiet word with the teacher to see how he/she would prefer you to handle it in future?

RubberDuck Tue 07-Oct-08 18:15:54

(If getting him to redo it results in you virtually dictating a more acceptable sentence, then it's probably best leaving it and letting the teacher see where he's at - that was the general consensus of the last homeworky thread I was on)

batters Tue 07-Oct-08 18:16:33

Well.......I think personally he will take more notice of a teacher telling him.

IMO the role of the parent for homework is that of enabler, you ensure they do it, help them if they need it but let the child do it his / her own way.

3kids1cat Tue 07-Oct-08 18:16:43

This is the problem Moomin, I know the teacher will flick through it and just put a tick for the fact that he's done it.

I also know that he understands how to use these connectives and is more than capable of coming up with some interesting sentences.

He feels he has done what was asked, and can't see what my issue is. Maybe last year I wouldn't have minded, but at this stage I think he should be making more effort.

3kids1cat Tue 07-Oct-08 18:20:10

RubberDuck, I have suggested he re-does them, and offered some examples, yes he cried and said 'but I've already done them!'

I really don't want to fight him over it.

Flirty, yes you are right, they are incomplete and not good enough imo.

Moomin Tue 07-Oct-08 18:32:52

Then maybe either a) leave it or b) stick a post-it in his book for the teacher to see saying you have discussed ds's HW with him and why it's not very good but he has chosen not to do it again. This actually gives the teacher quite a bit of info I think (e.g. you're a supportive parent; ds is capable but not inclined to do more than necessary, etc.) S/he's still getting to know the pupils in their class so this would be useful for them I think. (I'd be happy with a parent doing this, although I teach secondary and expect much less parental input)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now