Talk

Advanced search

To really hate GPs quite a lot of the time...(long rant, sorry)

(9 Posts)
SugarGlider Tue 07-Oct-08 11:24:22

I'm 37 weeks pregnant and have managed to completely throw my hip/pelvis, meaning that I can barely walk, and that only by throwing by back as far behind me as possible at an angle. It's very painful and worrying, given it's not really improved in four days and my due date is inching closer.

Found a lovely osteopath, who I think will be able to help me but made the mistake of going to the GP in the belief I should probably get them to check it out and let them know what was going on, so it would be on my maternity notes in case there are implications for labour.

Having staggered there in pain I got the usual crap brush-off: completely sniffy about the osteopath and dismissed all that she said, yet couldn't even be bothered to look herself (just got me to point where it hurt), no suggestion of anything I could DO (found my question about whether I needed crutches quite outlandish), no thoughts on if or when this sort of thing might clear up, just recommended taking loads of paracetamol ...

The thing is, a good friend of mine is a GP and I know it is no fun having to deal with everyone's sniffles and stomach upsets. But the past few times I have been to see a GP, they have had zero to offer. All they do - even my friend concedes - is prescribe a likely drug to see if it works and if it does not, prescribe something else.

But then they are completely sneering about any kind of other therapy - some of which I rate, others of which sound a bit ridiculous to me. But is it any wonder that people go off to see acupuncturists, herbalists, whatever? At least they listen, try to help you understand what is going on, give constructive advice about what you can do and generally treat you like an actual human being. I had 15 minutes with a dietician, who recommended supplements, and sorted out a problem with chronic headaches that the GP had failed to offer any help with over two years...

I have to say I wouldn't want to be a GP and I think it would be quite hard to be one in the target-driven NHS. But I am sick of the number of times I come away from the GP feeling 100 per cent dismissed and unheard... Where is the encouragement to be proactive about your health, and save the NHS money in the long run?

SubRosa Tue 07-Oct-08 11:37:18

So sorry you're having to deal with this. I have a totally useless GP who refused to acknowledge my symptoms and I ended up having major surgery because of it.

I know most GPs aren't like this, but it's not easy to deal with it when they're dismissive.

ALthough it's not an 'emergency' as such, it may be worthwhile getting to A&E if you can, just in case you go into labour early. I hope to God you can get it sorted and hope you have a short labour

hatorihanzo Tue 07-Oct-08 11:45:12

YABU, i could start a rant on supplements and osteopaths but, you have outlined the reason that other professions are found to be helpful: they have the time to listen.

If you genuinely feel 100% dismissed and unheard, and that your GP has zero to offer, write to or speak to the practice manager

PS a good hands on physio may still manipulate if appropriate (and supply crutches) at this stage in pregnancy, most units have quite rapid access to antenatal physio.

scaryteacher Tue 07-Oct-08 11:46:49

When ds was born for 6 months he fell off the weight charts, was blue, didn't want to feed, his cot needed to be propped up to help him breathe at night. Each time I went to the GP I was told I was an over anxious mother.

Went to see another GP when mine was on holiday, was obstreperous, and got a referral to the paediatrician.....walked into his office and was promptly told that ds has a large hole in his heart. When I next saw GP I pointed this out and she just said 'oh I wonder why that wasn't picked up'. This is the woman who told me 'there is nothing wrong with your blood, everyone's platelets drop during pregnancy, the rash on your legs is dermatological'....I have chronic ITP (blood doesn't clot properly) and ds was born with a very low platelet count.

DS is 13 in a fortnight and is fine, albeit he will always have a small hole in his heart, but I used to take everything she said with a very large pinch of salt after that.

dustbuster Tue 07-Oct-08 11:50:47

YANBU, I would say 50% of the GPs I know (socially and from the large practice we go to) are like this. Blase, brush off your problems, and basically make you feel like you are wasting their time.

Of course the other 50% are fab, so sorry to any GPs reading this and fuming. I work in a job where a good proportion of people are lazy bastards, and it's so annoying when people say, "oh, XXXX(insert profession here) are such lazy bastards" and I know I and a good 50% of my colleagues are not!

So, in a way, IABU....

TheHedgeWitch Tue 07-Oct-08 11:51:56

Message withdrawn

SugarGlider Tue 07-Oct-08 17:02:31

Thanks for all your commiserations -- I am going to try the hospital to see if they can help with physio, as suggested. And take a deep breath and stop fuming -- lovely, calming Mumsnet!

fabsmum Tue 07-Oct-08 17:22:58

"YABU, i could start a rant on supplements and osteopaths but, you have outlined the reason that other professions are found to be helpful: they have the time to listen".

Actually it's not just about having the time to listen, it's about having the inclination and the ability.

I also have a GP who is a very poor listener - doesn't matter how many people are waiting outside to see her or what time of day it is, she seems constitutionally unable to tune into what you're saying, no matter how simple or how pertinent. I suspect a lot of it is down to arrogance.

"If you genuinely feel 100% dismissed and unheard, and that your GP has zero to offer, write to or speak to the practice manager"

Why should you have to feel '100% dismissed' and that your GP has 'zero' to offer to be justified in making a complaint or switching to another GP? I think it's reasonable to expect that they should be at least adequate given the £150K a year that many of them are getting from the public purse for their services.

moomaa Wed 08-Oct-08 12:05:29

YANBU, complain and find a new GP. There are good ones, why should you put up with a rubbish one? I complained about my last GP after she missed a problem with my ds (same as you, went to A&E, hospital took one look and diagnosed immediately) and my new GP treated a hip problem over several weeks with accupuncture (which gave very good pain relief).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now