Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To lock the gates and not give the Neighbours a key?

(22 Posts)
TheHedgeWitch Mon 06-Oct-08 19:09:35

Message withdrawn

Tortington Mon 06-Oct-08 19:11:11

you need a spring that shuts the gate once opened - you cant deny them access they will become all shitty and lawyers will get lots of money and you will end up living with people that hate you.

a spring is the way to go

Lauriefairycake Mon 06-Oct-08 19:13:29

You are responsible for checking the gate is shut before you let him out not them.

Get the spring if it pisses you off. You absolutely cannot deny them access.

Twiglett Mon 06-Oct-08 19:13:35

is their right of way on the deeds?

this reminds me what happened to the mad woman who was extending into a shared passageway?

TheHedgeWitch Mon 06-Oct-08 19:13:41

Message withdrawn

Twiglett Mon 06-Oct-08 19:14:34

I don't think that's true .. check with someone else .. you can add a spring close on top of the existing hinges

pinkspottywellies Mon 06-Oct-08 19:15:12

Have you mentioned to them about the gate being open? Perhaps they just don't think about the little one if they haven't got children. Spring gate sounds like a plan, or just every time you see them say (with a pleasant smile) 'please can you make sure you shut the gate. DS can get out if it's open, I had to shut it again today.'

KatyMac Mon 06-Oct-08 19:15:46

Have a word & if it happens again put up a notice 'please close the gate'

TheHedgeWitch Mon 06-Oct-08 19:16:55

Message withdrawn

bran Mon 06-Oct-08 19:17:14

Can you set the gateposts onto a slight slant so that it swings shut naturally?

CarGirl Mon 06-Oct-08 19:18:01

We have a top latch to it latches shut itself. It does irritate me when friends etc couldn't bother to spend 5 secs checking that it had actually shut bearing in mind we back onto a car park and we use the back garden (patio) and gate constantly. People wouldn't leave your front door open.

Could you politely ask them if they could help you out by making sure they shut your gate after them because you are worried about your ds escaping out the back door when your not looking?

TheHedgeWitch Mon 06-Oct-08 19:20:15

Message withdrawn

onager Mon 06-Oct-08 19:22:46

It sounds like right-side neighbour should be told to move his shed. Surely he is in breach of the agreement?

If I've understood this right it would then be across the end of your garden and you could fence it off and forget about it.

CarGirl Mon 06-Oct-08 19:30:46

Yes to the pass by your house or at the end of the garden?

laweaselmys Mon 06-Oct-08 19:33:22

Yup - tell the neighbour to move his shed and get legal force if necessary. You are in a stupid situation because of him - and you absolutely cannot lock the gates because you will end up getting sued (not worth it - you'll just look like an unreasonable prat, even though it is once you know the details understandable that you just don't want anything to happen to your DS...)

I can't see this getting resolved before the next DC arrives though.

Mumi Mon 06-Oct-08 19:49:55

I don't think YABU about not letting them through if they're not shutting the gate as although it isn't their fault right side neighbour built their shed in the wrong place, it should be left side neighbour's job to kick up a fuss about it.

However - and this is meant as constructive criticism only - I am concerned that you cannot seem to supervise DS2 sufficiently enough to prevent him running out of the gate while you are pregnant whether it is the neighbour leaving it open or not.

What I will say is that I have been the middle neighbour and one day when DS was 3 or 4, he was in the kitchen while I was in the front room and the handle on the door between them broke so we couldn't get to each other. It was only when I tried to walk down the side passage that I saw that someone had erected a locked fence over 6 foot high shock I had to walk out of and around the estate to the field behind the house, jump over the path and garden fences to get through the back kitchen door to DS, which took about 15 minutes.

The right side neighbours had just made their own arrangements not only without planning permission, but without even so much as giving me a key once they'd done it. It was the one and only occasion I ever recall leaving him alone and it was out of necessity but I dread to think what could have happened in that time [shudder]

I know it's a different situation but please reconsider before you withdraw your - very kind - permission for them to use the gates

CarGirl Mon 06-Oct-08 19:51:29

Have just reread thread. Get neighbour to move shed, take legal action etc how are you ever going to sell if you can have anyone walking past your kitchen window all the time. Even better put a shed in your garden to block access and force them to sort out using the proper access as detailed in the deeds.

Perhaps you could write to both neighbours nicely saying that the situation at the moment is contrary to the deeds and you cannot cope with the lack of privacy any more or the danger it is to your son so they need to sort it out as from x date you will only be permitting access per the deeds.

hotbot Mon 06-Oct-08 20:06:59

or self locking gate and give them their key?
they sound like selfish gits tbh after ll it may be a right of way but its still your propery. Is the access really for bin day only , if so i dont think you are unreasonable to do this?they may take the hint and be a bit more considerate. Agree that shed man should also move shed too,,

Mutt Mon 06-Oct-08 20:10:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheGabster Mon 06-Oct-08 20:11:27

You can get free legal advice and help at your local Citizens Advice Bureau ([[http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ look here). Not sure if it is still the same, but used to be able to get 1 hr with solicitor for free, who might even write a letter for you if he/she is nice. Worth a try if it is on the Deeds then they are obliged to move the shed ...

TheHedgeWitch Mon 06-Oct-08 20:11:41

Message withdrawn

hotbot Mon 06-Oct-08 20:21:06

keys sound a good idea in theory, i
suspect they would open gate, walk thru etc not shut / lock gate.........sympathy it must be infuriating, move house or block of a section of garden that they use for access if possible. stories on mn would really make me think about shared access for any future homes wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now