Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

In thinking the Turner prize is shite!

(7 Posts)
Kimi Sat 04-Oct-08 19:09:20

GOBSMACKED.
Love going to the galleries and so on but please it gets worse every year.

Maybe I am just getting old.

Kimi Sat 04-Oct-08 19:20:18

Anyone??

AnathemaDevice Sat 04-Oct-08 19:26:26

Not seen this years entries, I'll investigate and get back to you. But I imagine that they're probably a bit pants.

ScottishMummy Sat 04-Oct-08 19:38:24

i do associate TP with contentious headline grabbing but thought the jim lambie work was stunning

suppose TP gets folk talking,viewing and even the "i know what i like and it aint modern art...what does it mean crew"

ScottishMummy Sat 04-Oct-08 19:41:47

Jim Lambie 2005 was VG
hokey cokey wrong cut n paste- im mortified

Kimi Sat 04-Oct-08 19:51:22

I had to walk through his room with my eyes shut as I would have fallen over.Jim Lambie was good though, but I would have had a migraine.

northernrefugee39 Sun 05-Oct-08 10:21:15

Scottish- I agree- think Jim Lambie's stuff looks fab.
I haven' seen the actual exhibition, we may go at half term. But I quite like the look ofGoshka Macuga and
Runa Islam

Not so keen on Cathy Wilkes or

Mark Leckeywho apparently uses film and installation- but you can't really tell what they're like until you see the real thing.

Sometimes it does look like they try to do something just for the gimmick value- (really don't rate most of Damien Hirst's stuff,) but I do like installation and conceptual ideas.
But that doesn't mean I'd want it in my house.
Some of these ideas overlap into advertising and other everyday culture, and I don't think it can all be dismissed as shite. That's what happened to the immpressionists and Picasso/Matisse etc in their time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now