To want to sue the NHS/WHO or whoever for false advertising

(76 Posts)
tadpolesmum Fri 03-Oct-08 22:46:19

Breastfeeding makes you lose weight... my fat ar**

<<toddles off to find more biscuits>>

ilovemydog Fri 03-Oct-08 22:48:45

hmm - misrepresentation perhaps? smile

hunkermunker Fri 03-Oct-08 22:51:05

Breastfeeding's not a licence to eat cake.

MrsBates Fri 03-Oct-08 22:51:09

Don't worry - formula feeding doesn't make you lose weight either. Unless you do it whilst jogging.

MrsBates Fri 03-Oct-08 22:52:24

I know civil liberties are in peril but I had no idea you now need a licence to eat cake. I will apply at once.

MoonlightMcKenzie Fri 03-Oct-08 22:53:05

That pees me right off too.

Also, it used to make me very suspicious of the other 'benefits' too.

It should state 'bfing burns more calories' and leave it at that.

Alternatively it could say:

'bfing gives you the serious munchies whilst pinning you to the sofa for hours upon end'

That would be more accurate imvho.

mabanana Fri 03-Oct-08 22:54:08

And lots of people don't burn more calories -their metabolism slows right down.

fabsmum Fri 03-Oct-08 22:54:35

Well - you have an extra 400 calories to play with.

Not really enough unfortunately if you're sort of person who tends to choke down a packet of Mr Kiplings French Fancies before breakfast. wink

tadpolesmum Fri 03-Oct-08 22:55:20

Yeah and all this stuff about you save money by not buying formula. errrr yeah right have you seen my food bills of late due to my HUGE apetite

hunkermunker Fri 03-Oct-08 22:55:28

MM, there are no "benefits" of breastfeeding.

It's the default way to feed a baby.

See here for more about this

MoonlightMcKenzie Fri 03-Oct-08 22:55:35

Correction:

'bfing gives you the serious munchies whilst pinning you to the sofa for hours upon end and slowing down your metabolism'

fabsmum Fri 03-Oct-08 22:56:30

"And lots of people don't burn more calories -their metabolism slows right down."

I have never come across this information. Do you remember where you read it?

Anyway - for me the calorie issue is massively less important than the increased protection from breastcancer.

MoonlightMcKenzie Fri 03-Oct-08 22:58:01

hunkermunker I know this, but the all the posters I've seen talk about the 'benefits'!

And my DC2 is 3 weeks old so I've recently seen A LOT of posters! grin

cali Fri 03-Oct-08 22:58:47

Roughly 3-4 weeks after both dd's were born, I weighed less than I did before each pregnancy and was back in pre pregnancy clothing 2 weeks after birth too.

Could have had something to do with breastfeeding, for me I think it was the vastly reduced amount of wine consumed for 9 months!

MoonlightMcKenzie Fri 03-Oct-08 22:59:16

And been subjected to 'word on the HCP street'

foxytocin Fri 03-Oct-08 22:59:59

surreptitiously inspects her skinny breastfeeding arse.

ilovemydog Fri 03-Oct-08 23:01:08

I have been so incredibly hungry recently, but turned out that I was actually thirsty! shock

tadpolesmum Fri 03-Oct-08 23:01:30

Cali now you have totally depressed me, my bub is 14 weeks and [whispers] am still wearing my maternity trousers

hunkermunker Fri 03-Oct-08 23:02:25

I don't like the NHS bf stance, MM. I think it gives the formula companies an "in" they don't deserve - by making their offering look like the friendly and comforting everyday option as opposed to the gold standard unattainable by ordinary mortals stuff that breastmilk is whilst simultaneously suggesting that bmilk is inferior to their product which will make your baby Sleep All Night.

edam Fri 03-Oct-08 23:03:39

Hunker, whaddya mean it's not a licence to eat cake?! shock

I had a lovely midwife who swore blind you should eat a mars bar at about 4.30 to help you through those evening cluster feeds. I knew it was nonsense but dh took it very seriously. Used to stop off on the way home every night to get me a bar of chocolate, bless him.

May not have been strictly necessary but it sure was medicinal. Those early days are bloody exhausting, anything that cheers you up is A Good Thing IMO.

MoonlightMcKenzie Fri 03-Oct-08 23:03:41

I'm in my size 12 jeans again! But not as much of me as should be in them, and tbh I WAS still in them at 30 weeks.

Piffle Fri 03-Oct-08 23:04:50

hunker
Utterly gorgeous to see you here
Balanced diet and odd treat
Always successful at the weightloss conundrum bf or not

MrsBates Fri 03-Oct-08 23:06:22

I lost weight whilst being pregnant with DD1 due to feeling to nauseous to eat. Didn't think of it as a 'benefit' of pregnancy though.

Saying the default way to feed sounds like computer studies lessons from the 80s though - can't we just say the most natural way to feed? IF we can't discuss benefits of BF because it is the default system at least we can mention the benefits of formula feeding. NOT SAYING IT IS BETTER. But clearly for some people the benefits of FF are very attractive so to deny there are any would be counter productive.

hunkermunker Fri 03-Oct-08 23:06:43

Sorry, Edam. It is a licence to eat more cake than had you ffed wink grin

Piff grin Hello, lovey!

mabanana Fri 03-Oct-08 23:07:45

depressing study!

HOwever, I have known people get really skinny while breastfeeding - weight absolutely fell of them, and I am hugely envy of them!

But it has loads of other health benefits for women - re breast and ovarian cancer, osteoporosis and all sorts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now