Advanced search

to want to buy a heater for £25 for our bedroom?

(7 Posts)
SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Fri 03-Oct-08 18:05:35

i suppose i am but i dont feel like it. dh wants to bring his fan heater around i think they are dangerous and could cause fires. i want to buy another oil heater. dh thinks that if i do this i should charge the landord for it as he still hasnt fixed the heating yet <from last winter>.

now i know i should do this but im still catching up on rent arrears that occured when the council made a mistake with my housing benefit. during this time the landlord pushed his way into my house lots of times harassing me for immediate payment of money i didnt have. it resulted in him thereatening me. all of this went on in front of my children, one of which is old enough to understand what was going on.

due to this i dont like dealing with landlord and chose not to contact him as much as possible. if i did contact him re fixing the radiators or buying a heater i know i would be fobbed off. if i reported him he would start threatening me agian. this all happens when dh is at work. he doesnt come while dh is here.

AIBU to think it would be easier just to buy the heater ourselves?

LynetteScavo Fri 03-Oct-08 18:08:21

I take it you really, really don't want to move?

Are you renting privately, and are unable to go through the agent?

TBH, if I were you, I'd either move, or buy an oil heater.

sb6699 Fri 03-Oct-08 18:59:56

Your landlord has an obligation to make sure your property is habitable therefore you SHOULD be contacting him to get the heating fixed.

Why not ask dh to contact him if you find him intimidating.

It is illegal for him to enter your property uninvited. Keep your doors locked and if he turns up tell him to back when your dh is there.

Personally, as someone who also rents property I would be looking for somewhere else to live.

southeastastra Fri 03-Oct-08 19:08:18

yes please don't let him bully you like this!

combustiblelemon Fri 03-Oct-08 19:20:45

shock That sounds horrendous. I don't blame you for not wanting to risk the harrassment. I'd probably buy the heater and start looking for a new home.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Fri 03-Oct-08 20:49:50

oh we are moving dh owns his own house but it was in a bad state of disrepair when he bought it and needs practically rebuilding. we are hoping to be in my x mas but this might be a bit ambitious, it wont be long after that though.

privately rented and there is no agent. i know what the law is regarding this i have discussed it with the council several times. i know he is not allowed to push his way into my property. apparently even knocking on my door every night for the rent when this was going on is illegal. its harrassment but pusuing this further is just going to make matters worse and leave us with no where to go. all our spare money is going into dh's house so we have no deposit money and will be moving soon so dont want to be tied into new contracts.

dh has now ordered me a new oil heater. we already have one upstairs and a fire downstairs but upstairs its a choice of heating dd1's room or heating our room with dd2 in.

AMAZINWOMAN Sat 04-Oct-08 09:10:54

I would buy a heater, and when you move you can sell it on ebay and get some, hopefully all, of your money back.

I know the landlord is responsible, but anyone who has a bully as a a landlord, it is really hard trying to get the courage to speak to him. Knowing he will threaten to put the rent up if you ask for things you are entitled to, and just turn up knowing you are alone, it really isn't worth the hassle.

There should be a register of bad landlords, a way we can name and shame them!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: