Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be annoyed with my dh's comment about the dinner I cooked tonight?

(35 Posts)
hungarianhornytail Fri 03-Oct-08 17:05:14

A couple of weeks ago I did this really lovely gulash for dinner one night, and it proved a bit hit with both dh and ds.
So today I did it again, and after eating in silence for a few mintues dh said "Well, it's not as good as last time" in a very dismissive sort of way.

I found this a bit annoying and rude - I have no problem with him not liking it, or indeed finding it not as good as last time, but I resent the way that he tells me eg he could have said "ooh, this is lovely, but I think it was even better last time" or similar.
I know I'm sounding very pathetic, but I really take pride in what I cook, I love doing it, so I do take comments like this a bit personally.

I told him that telling me "it's not as good as last time" was a bit depressing - and his comment was "don't ask and then you won't get depressed" which pissed me right off.

How would he feel if after sex I would turn to him and say "Well, it wasn't as good as last time"?!

SmugColditz Fri 03-Oct-08 17:06:12

well, initiate some sex tonight and then 6do6 say oh its not as good as last time2

SoupDragon Fri 03-Oct-08 17:06:39

Try it.

belgo Fri 03-Oct-08 17:07:10

'How would he feel if after sex I would turn to him and say "Well, it wasn't as good as last time"?!'

I think you should do thatgrin

Tamarto Fri 03-Oct-08 17:07:21

I agree with smug, see how he likes it grin

nickytwotimes Fri 03-Oct-08 17:08:26

What an arsey thing to say to someone who has cooked you a meal!
The sex idea is terrific.

yomellamoHelly Fri 03-Oct-08 17:08:39

That's pretty rude. I'd let him know you expect better and then ignore. My mum would have whipped it away from us and binned it if we'd said anything like that when we were growing up.

DaDaDa Fri 03-Oct-08 17:09:30

"well, initiate some sex tonight and then 6do6 say oh its not as good as last time"

Then turn over and mutter 'he was better looking too'. grin

hungarianhornytail Fri 03-Oct-08 17:09:34

OMG I can just imagine the reaction I'd get

hungarianhornytail Fri 03-Oct-08 17:10:10

lol DaDaDa

Saturn74 Fri 03-Oct-08 17:10:14

Blimey, you eat early.
<<has no plans for dinner as yet blush>>

Your DH is rather rude - he'll be cooking for your approval tomorrow night, I assume?

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Fri 03-Oct-08 17:11:35

Definitely tell him the sex wasn't as good as last time. My DH tells me things were better when I have cooked them before and I sulk for about a minute and then we usually have a bit of banter and it is forgotten. I bought some stuffed chicken things the other day and took it persently when he wasn't keen. hmm

hungarianhornytail Fri 03-Oct-08 17:16:20

We're not in the UK, so it's a bit later here (hence we've already had dinner) - although actually we do eat quite early so that we can eat together with ds as a family every evening.

I know I'm being a bit sensitive, but I do all the cooking, every single day, and I do put quite a lot of effort and thought into what we eat. This sort of comment (he's done it before) annoys me and I feel puts a bit of pressure on me to always cook perfect, fantastic meals - and I mean really, who can do that???

hungarianhornytail Fri 03-Oct-08 17:17:01

Oh, and am now seriously considering the sex thing, will have to make sure lights are on though to see look on his face wink

clam Fri 03-Oct-08 17:18:20

But you didn't ask, did you? You said there was a brief silence before he said (unprompted?) that it wasn't as good as last time.
My DH offered one too many bits of criticism advice in the kitchen a few years back. Result: he now has the job!

shootfromthehip Fri 03-Oct-08 17:22:20

PMSL at 'he was better looking' to the point where DD has jusked asked 'what's wrong Mummy?'. Am still chuckling (?) now.

I would tell the DH you look forward to trying his goulash and you can compare and contrast. Cheeky sod wink

ilovemcdreamy Fri 03-Oct-08 17:25:12

I'd have whipped it out from under his nose and chucked it in the bin ... in silence. And tomorrow I'd be leaving him to cook for the kids while I took myself out to dinner with some girlfriends.

wehaveallbeenthere Fri 03-Oct-08 17:29:17

I'm with yomella. It was very rude that your DH said that but perhaps his taste buds are just off. You know how men can be when they aren't feeling well? They become the biggest babies on the planet.
My mother would have taken it away also but my father treated her better than that and never would have mentioned, let alone stated out loud, if he thought something was off with one of her dinners. The appreciation factor in their marriage was too strong to argue over anything as petty as a dinner not being as good as before.
If my DH had said something like that I'd have said something insane like "so you think it is missing something?" and emptied the salt shaker over it and then canned it. Dinner would end with "next time you can make it yourself".
You can believe there would have to be some major kissing up to get me to spend my time making that dish again. Life is too short.
I wouldn't go the "sex isn't as good as before" route though. Why make a mountain out of a mole hill? Men don't understand arguing 30 minutes past the fact anyway. Make your point and then go from there.

kiddiz Fri 03-Oct-08 17:29:40

I knew someone who's dh handed her his plate after dinner with the comment "not too often dear" !!

wehaveallbeenthere Fri 03-Oct-08 17:31:11

besides, you are a wonderful cook since you do it all the time how could you not be? It was probably just him...he probably has a cold or needs to get a checkup. Maybe a toothache starting?

TheProvincialLady Fri 03-Oct-08 17:31:49

What, you would literally turn lesbian over an incident like this ilovemcdreanyshockwink

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Fri 03-Oct-08 17:35:33

personally a few posts ago!

wehaveallbeenthere Fri 03-Oct-08 17:39:03

er, maybe you would be making a molehill out of a mountain if you do go the sex isn't as good route?grin

purpleduck Fri 03-Oct-08 17:44:47

I have been known to have a "sandwiches only" for a few dinners in a row. That tends to sort out complaints and criticisms. (Though to be fair, I get it from my kids, not dh)

elmoandella Fri 03-Oct-08 17:45:04

YABU - i think. perhaps it wasn't as good as last time. perhaps last time he was humouring you and he actually thought it was rank.

and to save his stomach it for a third time he was trying to tell you in a nice way that it's not all that great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now