Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to rethink this whole pocket money bolleaux????

(11 Posts)
NoblesseOblige Fri 03-Oct-08 16:01:18

ds is 9. he has a chart. on the chart are very basic tasks ie brush teeth. wash face. give notes from school on time. make bed. if he does everything without being asked, he gets 20p a day.

he does not do everything without being asked. in fact, he does bugger all without being nagged, thus defeating the object of the chart altogether.

i have not given him money for a week. he has not noticed. he does not really grasp the concept of money or understand the value of it.

he has had the chart since the start of term. first week was fab then tailed miserably off.

do i need a new strategy??

NotCod Fri 03-Oct-08 16:01:49

we dont do it at all.
i did say he coudl haev money fo getting a paper btu he cant be arsed

so no money

LadySanders Fri 03-Oct-08 16:03:15

ds1 is 7. we tried pocket money about a year ago. he spent it all on flipping doctor who trading cards. we gave up on pocket money. will try again one day when he understands better about money. probably in about 35 years if his father is anything to go by.

NoblesseOblige Fri 03-Oct-08 16:05:52

so its a lost cause then?? i thought so.

any other wise words or shall i get back to recording my own voice over and over...

"make bed. clean teeth. wash. make bed. clean teeth. wash. make bed. clean teeth. wash angry"

LadySanders Fri 03-Oct-08 16:08:53

i think some kids just 'get' money(conceptually!). i can remember being 5 and saving and saving til i'd got enough coppers for a £1 note and being utterly thrilled. ds1 just loves spending money. and also wouldn't remotely be interested in a reward system, he didn't even want stickers on a chart when he was a toddler...

LadySanders Fri 03-Oct-08 16:09:58

in fairness, ds1 doesn't really ever ask for stuff in shops though, beyond pointing out that he might like XYZ for xmas or next birthday.

NoblesseOblige Fri 03-Oct-08 16:14:11

ds likes to spend money, but he has no concept of how long he would have to save to get £5 for example and isn't really interested anyway.

think i will quietly scrap the whole idea grin

Lmccrean Fri 03-Oct-08 16:17:51

There was a 9 year old on supernanny the other night (I have no experience with this age yet!) and she got treats like getting out to play, or a girly day out for good behaviour/getting showered on her own etc. Maybe this might be better than money?

nolongeraworriedmummy Fri 03-Oct-08 16:22:58

we do treats like lmcrean said as sometimes I cant afford pocket money.

NoblesseOblige Fri 03-Oct-08 16:27:14

going out to play might be a good one actually. i just think that at 9 he is too old to have me standing over him to make sure that he's cleaned his teeth and needs some sort of incentive to make him play ball, so to speak.

nb if i try NOT standing over him, he tells barfaced lies and doesn't do it.angry

KarisTiasMum Fri 03-Oct-08 16:44:44

maybe something over then money? a magazine he reads? or friend over for dinner or something?

we have a little chart for our 3 year old, and thought she wouldnt really get it but she responds really well to it. its not a massive part in her life or anything but plays a part in bedtime, and eating dinner etc.. and if she gets all the stickers in a row she is rewarded with a trip to a park, or ride on her bike, baking, swimming.. things like that!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now