Talk

Advanced search

To think this was unprofessional and complain?

(17 Posts)
TheHedgeWitch Fri 03-Oct-08 12:37:55

Message withdrawn

EffiePerine Fri 03-Oct-08 12:39:43

sounds dodgy to me

when they wanted to change our meter they sent us a card saying when they would be coming

ring EON and check

FAQ Fri 03-Oct-08 12:40:35

I would complain - I'm with EON and we had letters a while ago saying that they would be coming to change the meter - it said to either ring for a time that was convenient, or just wait until they turned up (I did the latter. When he came to stood on the doorstep, said who he was, showed me his ID and asked if I'd received a letter informing me that they'd be changed.

If he's turned up in the manner as you described I wouldn't have been happy at all.

frazzledbutcalm Fri 03-Oct-08 12:40:44

I'd complain to eon, and poss even the police. If he didnt show you any id and you've never had a letter, then who's to say he was from eon? You hear of imposters like this all the time.
He prob was genuine but i'd def complain to eon at least.

Solitaire Fri 03-Oct-08 12:40:52

Nope. Right a stinking letter to EOn and tell them they need to sort their staff out. If he did that to you, imagine what he would do to an old lady

Weegle Fri 03-Oct-08 12:42:18

Absolutely not unreasonable - ring/write and complain.

Wizzska Fri 03-Oct-08 13:08:51

YANBU! He could have been anybody.

TheHedgeWitch Fri 03-Oct-08 13:39:17

Message withdrawn

tw70 Fri 03-Oct-08 13:45:18

You have to be so careful with these people!

I had someone knock on my door and say they were here to read the meter - well we just HAD the meter read - I queried where he was from - turned out he was from the former electricity suppliers. I pointed out that they were not our supplier anymore - his response - but your name and address is on our list. I looked at the name - from tenants 2 years ago.

It was a dodgy way of getting the supply switched back to them, I think!

So complain away! And complain to the Ombudsman as well - they need to know that the companies are being dodgy (Watchdog on BBC as well, in case there's a lot of this happening!!!)

worrybum Fri 03-Oct-08 13:47:53

You said you saw meter services van. I would have thought that Eon would have displayed their logo on it. Did you get details of the van just in case? You're right to be concerned whether it was legit or not

worrybum Fri 03-Oct-08 13:53:07

Ofgem.gov.uk is the website I think that deals with consumer complaints if you don't have any luck with the supplier

frazzledbutcalm Fri 03-Oct-08 13:56:03

I'm with eon and its just a van with meterread (or something similar) written on the side. I think he reads the meter on behalf of several companies.

cupsoftea Fri 03-Oct-08 13:59:14

complain - it's not on to expect to go into peoples homes like this - you're their customer & should respect you

44christmaspuddingsinarow Fri 03-Oct-08 13:59:46

Dont bother ringing eon - sorry but someone at customer services is just going to bin your complaint - reality.

Telephone trading standards and tell them that eon are up to - they will or should take note and then they will try to sort things out so that this doesn't happen.

TheHedgeWitch Fri 03-Oct-08 14:06:18

Message withdrawn

lulumama Fri 03-Oct-08 14:09:04

you should always ask for ID etc before you let anyone in, regardless of where they say they are from

am no longer letting leccy or gas people in to read the meter, i am often at home alone, or with a young child or two... i will phone them with the meter reading myself

worrybum Fri 03-Oct-08 14:55:46

How coincidental is this? i have just answered the door to a worker from Eon! Advised he was here to change the gas meter, did display an ID badge though and was in a red Eon Van with a red Eon uniform on. Advised him that we were not expecting him and have not received any correspondence, he said not to worry then and than he could not proceed with the fitting. He said that he will arrange for us to be contacted about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now