Advanced search

To utterly hate Friday afternoons with a passion!

(6 Posts)
AphroditeInHerNightie Fri 03-Oct-08 12:06:38

DD, aged 6 has been home for bout 2 hours now and we've already run the full gamut of grumpy, sulky, stroppy and whingey.
It starts like this every Friday, the minute she gets through the door, with whinges about dinner, what she's going to wear how the hell am I going to entertain her all weekend....aarrggh!
I'm pretty sure its the end of the week exhaustion, but, fark me, she wears me down!
Today we had a full-on tantrummy fir because her hair was not tied EXACTLY as we specified. It then progressed to the "you don't love me"s and breathless sobbing.
I'm supposed to be taking her to a party this afternoon but have already had the "whats the point - nobody likes me" and the "when it was my party.....(last November), why didn't I have.../why didn't you let me..?"

So am I alone in my sheer hatred of friday afternoons? Please tell me I'm not alone in this.

themildmannneredjanitor Fri 03-Oct-08 12:08:13

well-my kids don't finish till 3.15 so not the same as yours. but no-i love it.
we always have atreat on friday afternoons, we all chill out, nice m,eal together, dvd, that 'yay the weekend is here' feeling.

AphroditeInHerNightie Fri 03-Oct-08 12:08:28

I 'spose it doesn't help that I'm EXTREMELY hormomal right now.....

lilymolly Fri 03-Oct-08 12:12:59

Gosh she sounds like my 2 year old.

I was kind of hoping they would grow out of it by 6 shock is that not the case? (genuine question)

Friday is hard because its the end of the week- Think about a nice bottle glass of wine tonight grin

arfishy Fri 03-Oct-08 12:50:11

I have a 5 and three quarter year old. She has been hideous this week. It's the school holidays here, so quite equivalent to weekends).

She pitched such a fit when I asked her to brush her hair this morning I've had to confiscate the Wii (think hairbrush throwing, hitting and door slamming).

I feel your pain.

BlueBumedFly Fri 03-Oct-08 13:01:12

Perhaps try a different approach? If she is 6 you can I guess be pretty candid. Why not next Thursday night before bed say, 'Fridays seem to upset you and you seem to come home from school in a right old pickle, what would make it easier for you?' (you may have to grit your teeth through this bit)

How about suggesting that Thursdays before bed you and DD sit down and draw up a timetable for the weekend so she can see when there are DD-based activities and when Mummy needs her to play quietly etc. Perhaps the whole weekend ahead is just too much to cope with. DD2 still, at 10 yo has to know EXACTLY what is happening and when. We do timetables otherwise she gets ansty and 'bored' before the weekend even starts!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now