Talk

Advanced search

to think that some items/services are luxurious and you should not claim poverty whilst simultaneously watching sky and tapping around on the old broadband.

(165 Posts)
QueenHerod Thu 02-Oct-08 19:04:48

I am getting peeved with hearing how awful their lives are now they have to cut back to eating smart price carrots in a tin etc meanwhile they are subscribed to things that I would not consider a necessity.

Like sky tv and broadband etc.

AIBU?

CarGirl Thu 02-Oct-08 19:06:16

I don't have sky but my broadband & telephone line & calls cost £22 per month????? Sorry but I think I need a landline anyway????

misdee Thu 02-Oct-08 19:06:32

smart price carrots i na tin? [bleugh]

themildmannneredjanitor Thu 02-Oct-08 19:08:04

i have always said this.
if i was really struggling-computer would bve one ofthe first things to go.

nametaken Thu 02-Oct-08 19:08:44

anyone who forces themselves to eat smart price carrots in a tin just so they can have sky, deserves it, surely grin

morningpaper Thu 02-Oct-08 19:08:57

I must admit I don't see the necessity of paying for television stuff

It is luxury IMO

broadband is v. cheap now though, particularly if you piggy-back off your DH's sky television obsession

oh

Anna8888 Thu 02-Oct-08 19:09:13

Broadband is not a luxury but a necessity in order to participate fully in society in the internet era.

Sky - total crap.

Lauriefairycake Thu 02-Oct-08 19:10:11

I think yabu about the broadband

it saves me money on shopping (and my sanity). Also for some people being in poverty contributes to depression so feeling connected to the world is very important.

but I agree with sky as I'm not interested in sky

Anna8888 Thu 02-Oct-08 19:10:22

We have a landline/mobile/broadband package that is so cheap it is laughable and I can talk to my mother and my sister (in different countries) for free every day grin

beansmum Thu 02-Oct-08 19:10:31

Broadband would be the last thing to go here. I would go mad without it.

SammyK Thu 02-Oct-08 19:10:44

Sky, yes YANBU

Broadband, YABU - most people now have a package deal on their homephone line. I don't have a mobile contract phone (have an old PAYG which I get free texts on), so a landline package is an essential for me.

Carrots in a tin are the work of the devil. Also - I am sure they work out dearer than lovely fresh ones! hmm

RustyBear Thu 02-Oct-08 19:10:51

But if you're tied into a contract when you lose your job, there's not a lot you can do

MrsMattie Thu 02-Oct-08 19:12:27

They're both technically luxuries, yes, but they'd be the very last luxuries to go in my house...

Tinned carrots? Nobody needs to stoop so low.

charchargabor Thu 02-Oct-08 19:12:33

Don't have sky as I class it as a luxury which I cannot afford atm. I do consider the internet a bit of a lifeline when struggling and therefore more important than sky. However I would give up the internet without doubt to provide proper food for my family.

misdee Thu 02-Oct-08 19:12:44

no, i would keep the pc. would get rid of sky first. then the mobiles. (but am now on payg and only use £10 every two months)

Mutt Thu 02-Oct-08 19:13:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SammyK Thu 02-Oct-08 19:13:06

We are considering getting rid of our TV licence costs, and just watching DVD's swapping, trading and sharing with friends.

Broadband would be last 'luxury' to go here too.

nickytwotimes Thu 02-Oct-08 19:13:20

I'd gree with th op re:Sky, but broadband is kind of the norm these days, isn't it.
I guess it depends on your priorities. Most MNers couldn't live without their broadband. I know I'd miss it a lot. Not enough to eat tinned carrots though.

Mutt Thu 02-Oct-08 19:14:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

snorkle Thu 02-Oct-08 19:15:58

we don't have sky (& only last week got freeview when we were give a box) & our internet is free & we grow our own carrots!

I wouldn't say we're impoverished though even if it does feelthat way sometimes.

Anna8888 Thu 02-Oct-08 19:16:17

Yes, I suppose that broadband saves me lots of money as it enables me to do my heavy grocery shopping on the internet for free (because I order a lot) - I would have to drive to an out-of-town hypermarché otherwise.

Lizzylou Thu 02-Oct-08 19:16:39

DH's firm pays for our broadband, never had sky and don't have a fancy pants TV, although do have Freeview (woohoo).

Have just got an internet phone for business use which is v cheap, may just use it as our normal landline.

Surely tinned carrots can't be cheaper than buying fresh ones???

lazyhen Thu 02-Oct-08 19:17:08

I think we have alot of stuff in our lives that aren't necessities... ipods, games consoles, DVDs. Depends on what gives you quality of life though. We have a dog who isn't a necessity but perhaps saves us gym membership/counselling sessions grin

I don't think you can looks at things in isolation.

KerryMum Thu 02-Oct-08 19:18:35

I am poor but I have broadband. And just upgraded it (fiver more a month).

I do not EVER go out for dinner or drinks or parties or weddings or ANYTHING EVER.

I do not buy new clothes unless they are 75% off at Dunnes or Penny's. I do not buy makeup, perfume or have my haircut more than 2x a year.

Choices.

SaintRiven Thu 02-Oct-08 19:18:36

broadband yabu. Its a lifeline. And we need a landline in case dd has a seizure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now