Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

In not wanting dd at nearly 10 to watch Scary Movie at her friends 10th birthday party?

(31 Posts)
dustystar Thu 02-Oct-08 17:31:48

I don't think I am and I am quite shocked that her mum thinks its appropriate for a group of 9 and 10 year olds when it is an 18. But when dd mentioned to the mum today that the film was an 18 she seemed unconcerned and said that this was just beacuse there was a bit of kissing and swearinghmm I've not seen it so I have no idea what its like but I find it hard to believe that it can be that tame if its rated 18.

So what do you all think? Am I making a fuss about nothing? Should I let her go and watch it? Its a difficult situation as this mum picks dd up from school every day for me and hangs on to her for 10-15 mins until I can get back from picking up ds. She has really helped me out this last year and i don't want to offend her but I really don't want dd to watch this film.

If I say this to her she's going to see it as me judging her decision to let her dd watch it and I know she will be offended. What do you think I should do?

Lowfat Thu 02-Oct-08 17:44:28

If I recall there are scenes of a sexual nature where a girl is jetted and stuck to the ceiling on an fountain of ejaculation!

But dont quote me as I be mistaking it for another equally stupid and pointless film.

I would not be happy with my DD watching it though as it is still scary and jumpy in places, with horro images.

Although that said my DD watches JAWS - but is different horror elements I suppose

Lowfat Thu 02-Oct-08 17:44:58

'could be mistking it' D'oh!

wordgirl Thu 02-Oct-08 17:47:39

YANBU. There's no way I'd let a 10 year old watch an 18 film.

babyignoramus Thu 02-Oct-08 17:49:15

There are quite strong drug references as well if I remember rightly. I don't think it would be suitable for a 10 year old. TBH, regardless of the reasons it's an 18, it's still an 18!

dustystar Thu 02-Oct-08 17:49:43

I don't think JAWS would get an 18 rating if it was released today. If it was a 15 I wouldn't be quite so concerned (although i wouldn't be happy) but to be rated and 18 these days I thought there has to be quite a lot of adult content or graphic violence.

LyraSilver Thu 02-Oct-08 17:57:12

I am very liberal when it comes to what I allow my sons to watch, however, this film is of adult content and I personally dont think it's suitable viewing for a young child. Neither does the film rating board!The humour is raunchy, aimed at the late teen market,like American Pie. Maybe you should watch it yourself and see what you think.

janeite Thu 02-Oct-08 17:59:35

YANBU. I wouldn't let my daughter go and would say why. It's up to her what she chooses to do with her own children, I suppose but that doesn't mean you should stoop to her standards.

What do the other parents feel?

dustystar Thu 02-Oct-08 18:01:13

I might have to do that lyra but having read the synopsis I know it is not my sort of film and it will probably irritate me so much that even if its not that bad I will say she definitely can't watch itgrin

falcon Thu 02-Oct-08 18:05:48

YANBU. It is an utterly vile film that I wouldn't watch and I certainly wouldn't allow any 10 year old, regardless of maturity to watch that trash.

dustystar Thu 02-Oct-08 18:05:50

I don't know the other parents. This mum has picked dd up from school since she started there last sept so i haven't got to know other parents there. I can't beleive I am the only one who would not be happy though.

I think we are going to have to say she can't go but I don't know how I am going to say this to her without upsetting her. I don't approve of her choice of film but she's a nice lady and I don't want to hurt her feelings. I have known her for a while though and I know she will take offence if I say dd can't go because of the film.

Maybe I should just wimp out and ring on the day and say dd is sick. That isn't fair either though as if dd doesn't go her friend could invite someone else but if we don't cancel till the last minute she won't have time.

dustystar Thu 02-Oct-08 18:05:51

I don't know the other parents. This mum has picked dd up from school since she started there last sept so i haven't got to know other parents there. I can't beleive I am the only one who would not be happy though.

I think we are going to have to say she can't go but I don't know how I am going to say this to her without upsetting her. I don't approve of her choice of film but she's a nice lady and I don't want to hurt her feelings. I have known her for a while though and I know she will take offence if I say dd can't go because of the film.

Maybe I should just wimp out and ring on the day and say dd is sick. That isn't fair either though as if dd doesn't go her friend could invite someone else but if we don't cancel till the last minute she won't have time.

falcon Thu 02-Oct-08 18:08:22

www.kids-in-mind.com/s/scary_movie_2000.htm

That's how bad it is.

falcon Thu 02-Oct-08 18:09:20

That link gives you a list of every offensive moment in it btw. I'm guessing she hasn't seen the film if she thinks it's fine for a bunch of 10 year olds.

dustystar Thu 02-Oct-08 18:11:53

Thanks falcon. Reading that i don't think I'll bother watching it myself. Its definitely not suitable IMO

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 02-Oct-08 18:12:34

YANBU. If this woman is going to be offended then that's just tough. Okay so she's helped you out but on another level would you really want to be friends with someone like this?.

No way would I let a nine year old see this film; its an 18 cert for good reason because of its adult content. Fine for adults and perhaps some late teens as they can process it but certainly not for any impressionable and naive 9 year olds of any description.

Chocolateteapot Thu 02-Oct-08 18:26:43

Well you know my view on this but it is really difficult actually having to say it to her. So having thought about it I would fudge the issue and play on the fact that DD gets nightmares so you need to be very careful what she watches and therefore don't feel you can let her watch an 18.

dustystar Thu 02-Oct-08 18:28:22

TBH we're not really friends but she has really helped me out so I don't want to upset her if I can avoid it. We are very different and some of the things she does make me cringe but she is kind and had a good heart.

dustystar Thu 02-Oct-08 18:29:58

Thanks CTsmile

Chocolateteapot Thu 02-Oct-08 18:32:19

Come and wish Merlin a Happy Birthday if you have a moment DS.

CarGirl Thu 02-Oct-08 18:32:47

I can't believe any parent thinks it's okay to let other peoples children watch an 18 when they are under age!

dustystar Thu 02-Oct-08 18:43:53

Well thats what i thought cargirl. I let my 2 watch 12A films and have done since they were 6 and 7 (depending on the film of course) but I would never assume that another parent would be happy for their child to do the same while they were in my care. I have always checked first.

Spagblog Thu 02-Oct-08 18:48:48

I watched this at the cinema with my mother in law!
I didn't realise how rude and blatent it was going to be. I almost disappeared into the cinema seat I was so embarrassed - she loved it though!

Spagblog Thu 02-Oct-08 18:49:14

forgot - NO def not suitable for a 10yr old

dustystar Thu 02-Oct-08 18:56:29

lol spag - I felt like that at a Ann Summers party with my MILblush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now