Talk

Advanced search

To think that you shouldn't drive following 2 glasses of wine.....?

(62 Posts)
Thankyouandgoodnight Wed 01-Oct-08 21:06:14

DH says you metabolise one unit of alcohol an hour, so you can have 2 glasses if you don't drive for 2 hours (or one hour after the last glass if you had the first one an hour before that).....is that right?

psychomum5 Wed 01-Oct-08 21:07:29

I wouldn't try it personally.

southeastastra Wed 01-Oct-08 21:07:30

everyone is different at metabolising though

chipkid Wed 01-Oct-08 21:09:30

2 glasses would definitely affect my reactions and therefore whether technically under the limit I would not drive.

cafebistro Wed 01-Oct-08 21:09:42

I dont think you should drive after any alcohol but thats just my opinion

etchasketch Wed 01-Oct-08 21:10:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JuneBugJen Wed 01-Oct-08 21:12:37

Cant stand that mental alcohol calculator thing.

'So if I have 2 glasses of Chenin Blanc at 8 o'clock but I have eaten chips and mayo then I will be fine to drive at 11 oclock etc.'

Just dont bloody drink if you are going to drive.

fymandbean Wed 01-Oct-08 21:16:38

hmmmm yes approximately - but it is two 100ml/125ml glasses.... NOT two normal pub glasses (175ml) or two large wine glasses (250ml)

flowerybeanbag Wed 01-Oct-08 21:18:16

Wine definitely more than 1 unit per glass.

mabanana Wed 01-Oct-08 21:19:03

A pub measure can easily be more than three units.

Nappyzoneneedssleep Wed 01-Oct-08 21:20:16

its not really worth the risk and i cant do maths when im pished so i just reckon the zero tolerance route is best.

JuneBugJen Wed 01-Oct-08 21:20:34

At All Bar One and all those sorts of chains the large glasses work out as 1/3 of a bottle.

No wonder I used to have such a hangover when I had a social like!

JuneBugJen Wed 01-Oct-08 21:21:06

life even. Sorry, just had my inhalation of red wine.

Bridie3 Wed 01-Oct-08 21:25:12

I would drive after two 125ml glasses of wine, drunk over the course of two or three hours with a meal. Not very often, mind: very occasionally, but it does happen and while it's legal I shall continue to do so.

If I felt tired or unwell I would drink less or probably nothing.

flowerybeanbag Wed 01-Oct-08 21:27:43

Quick google just told me that a standard glass is 175ml and would be about 2.3 units, large glass like in a pub would be 250ml about 3 units.

Hulababy Wed 01-Oct-08 21:28:43

Depends on lots of thugs really. The quantity would affect people in different ways - it would push some people over the limit and some would be stilll under. It would affect people's judgements and driving skills in varying degrees also.

I have driven after 1 glass perfectly safely. I would have been well under the limit too. I did not feel impaired in the slightest.

If I had had a second then I would probably wait an hour afterwards or so as I feel two glasses would push me over the limit and impair my ability to drive. TBH though if I was planning to drink more than 1 small glass of wine I wouldn;t be planning on driving full stop.

schwotz Wed 01-Oct-08 21:32:37

Your DH may think this, but is is not true.

So if you drink 4 glasses you can drive 4 hours later? I don't think so, even if it was sherry Mrs.

You can get done for being over the limit on the way to work the next morning. It has been know.

flowerybeanbag Wed 01-Oct-08 21:34:07

If I'm going to be driving I'm usually happy to have one glass, as long as I am otherwise feeling fine and not driving immediately - ie usually a good couple of hours before getting in a car and I would have had a meal.

I wouldn't drive after 2 glasses even if I'd eaten a gigantic dinner and not got in the car for hours and hours.

peacelily Wed 01-Oct-08 21:36:49

YANBU, 2 glasses puts you over the limit.

If you're driving don't drink at all.

Me and dh have nearly split up re this issue and his "Oh I've only had 3 beers in 4 hrs so I'll be fine"

bullshit

makes me angry

Thankyouandgoodnight Wed 01-Oct-08 21:38:42

I would love something concrete that i could show him.

flowerybeanbag Wed 01-Oct-08 21:41:15

this is the results page of the google I did.

Midge25 Wed 01-Oct-08 21:45:38

Sorry thankyouandgoodnight - this sounds really confrontational and isn't meant to be. But what he's doing is very risky. You should ask him whether he knows the abv of the wine he's drinking - don't let him look/cheat - people sometimes know the quantity but rarely the percentage of alcohol in the wine. And do your glasses at home have 125ml markers on them? Is he using a measuring jug? In order to be 'sure' he also needs to know the ratio of fat to muscle in his body, the condition of his liver and his personal metabolic rate. Unlikely, I reckon...

Midge25 Wed 01-Oct-08 21:47:57

The one unit an hour thing is a very rough guide...not reliable enough to be used as a calculator for how many drinks can be had....

schwotz Wed 01-Oct-08 21:48:25

nhsdirect It says : The only sure-fire way of knowing you're safe is to wait 12 hours between having your last drink and driving.

Have you or he been drinking tonight and planning to drive?

Thankyouandgoodnight Wed 01-Oct-08 21:58:52

Thanks and I agree Midge. Not driving tonight but he will often have a couple of drinks at lunch time if we're out somewhere or at someone's house and then inist on driving with our DCs - He gets quite nasty if you suggest that he shouldn't (doesn't like 'being told what to do') so I'm trying to have the conversation away from any current situation.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: