Talk

Advanced search

to want to massacre my house guest because he is a constant nail chewer?

(13 Posts)
Turniphead1 Wed 01-Oct-08 14:52:48

my DH's cousin (in her mid 20s) has come to stay for the "weekend" (wed to sunday grin) with her boyfriend. I have met him once before very briefly.

He is almost totally silent, but worse than that - he has his fingers in his mouth constantly gnawing, gnawing. I find it just dreadful. It is one of my pet hates. I just want to slap his hands away from his face and then cover his nails in that stuff that makes them taste yukky.

The thought of spending the evening with them (DH will be at work til late) is giving me the shivers.

Pretty sure I am being unreasonable....but yeaaughk. Would it be rude to ask him to SIT on his hands?

Simplysally Wed 01-Oct-08 15:06:08

Put him in a straitjacket.

It's when they examine their nails before taking the next nibble which really gets my goat.

VinegarTits Wed 01-Oct-08 15:10:45

What do they do with the nail? eat them or spit them out? you could end up with bits of bogus nail in your soup eugh

BlingLovin Wed 01-Oct-08 15:14:22

A few years ago, when I was still single, I was out with some girlfriends and these 3 guys came over to chat us up. One of them was biting his nails and without even thinking about it, I slapped his hand away from his mouth and carried on chatting. About 3 minutes later I realised what I'd done and was absolutely mortified - it was just instinct because I used to do it to my sister all the time as she was a terrible biter.

Everyone had been absolutely shocked but were too scared to say anything! blush

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 01-Oct-08 15:22:39

You might want to murder him, but for a massacre you need a whole bunch of nailbiters.

Simplysally Wed 01-Oct-08 15:23:41

If you have a dog, they could munch on bits of discarded nail.

<boaks>

bran Wed 01-Oct-08 15:26:03

Ask him to chop some chilis for you. That'll not only burn any raw bits on his fingers, but it'll also give him a shock when he puts his fingers in his mouth. grin

VinegarTits Wed 01-Oct-08 15:26:20

Chops his arms off, lets see him try and chew the stumps

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 01-Oct-08 16:28:52

it a very habbit to stop doing

was a NB myself for many years

TheArmadillo Wed 01-Oct-08 16:30:49

It is one of the most horrible habits.

Especially when the skin around their nails is all torn and bloody.

Makes me cringe seeing someone bite their nails.

I coudln't even chew off ds's when he was a baby.

YANBU

TheSmallClanger Wed 01-Oct-08 18:12:00

I am a nail biter. Not to extremes, but I do trim with my teeth. grin

I don't understand why people get so upset about it - if I was biting their nails I could understand it.

Actually, constant chewing noises do get my goat, so I can sympathise there.

PurpleOne Wed 01-Oct-08 18:43:36

Wait til hes asleep and paint his nails with Tabasco sauce. wink

Turniphead1 Wed 01-Oct-08 18:50:03

oldlady I am suitably chastened! His nail beds are stumps - I actually don't think there is anything left to chew. So it is just constant fingers in mouth gnawing, gnawing. I think if someone showed them a video of how it looks they would be appalled. There is general nail biting - and compulsive continual gnawing and this falls into the latter I am afraid. Poor guy - he obviously can't help it - but I am already feeling tense at the thought of their return...

I do have isshoos though I think - can't bear constant face touching or sniffing and stuff. My sister says I am the most intolerant person ever. She is right!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now