Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think my DD is just ...

(12 Posts)
Ronaldinhio Tue 30-Sep-08 22:08:13

normal/average and not at all outrageously gifted and to not give a stuff about it?
I will add that she can eat toast and yoghurt but she is 18 months and tbh I'm boasting!!!

Plonker Tue 30-Sep-08 22:09:38

I'll join you there Ronaldinhio!

YANBU at all ...quite refreshing really grin

pinkyp Tue 30-Sep-08 22:11:03

no ur not being unreasonable, if she did do something earier than she should or had a gift i'm sure you would be boast about it, most proud parents do.

FanjolinaJolly Tue 30-Sep-08 22:13:09

Mine is below average but she has the most beautiful smile you have ever seen,anywhere,in the whole history of mankind

YANBU

Ronaldinhio Tue 30-Sep-08 22:16:13

thing is pinkyp I don't know what she should be doing at what age and therefore it's all amazing to me and a bit of a great journey.
She has a gift, she's bloody amazing at making us happy.

surreylady Tue 30-Sep-08 22:22:56

how lovely to see someone appreciate their child for what she is a beautiful human being and not a yard stick on society. good for you

pinkyp Tue 30-Sep-08 22:38:06

exactly, every parent brags about there child and thinks they are really clever even if they do things later than they should. Esp when they do something for the first time its great.
But! if your daughter started walking (for example) at 7 months or something i'm sure you would tell people about it like you would if she started walking at 18months and you'd just be as proud either way. Thing is because she has done it earlier than other peoples children it is often mistaken for showing off, if u see what i mean.

Ronaldinhio Tue 30-Sep-08 22:59:36

pinkyp i don't think that everyone brags nor do i think that there should be a later or earlier than they should do timeline...but that's just me.
I think it causes unnecessary worry about things which mostly ultimately work themselves out and a weird smugness from those who are worked up by timelines and lording it over others about their child's perceived intelligence.
seems odd to me, bragging about ordinary everyday tasks, walking reading writing etc etc
I suppose it allows mothers to smug others off though and keeps those types happy

pgwithnumber3 Tue 30-Sep-08 23:02:12

I cannot bare bragging re children's milestones, like who gives a shit when you child was out of nappies or held a spoon. It means feck all. Some of the most intelligent people in my family were late at talking or walking etc. Probably too busy doing sums in their head to be bothered. grin

pinkyp Thu 02-Oct-08 00:05:22

oh i'm proud of my child in everything he does and i like to brag about it too no matter when he does it. I'm just proud. I can't belive you think thats a bad thing!!!

Ordinary tasks? learning how to walk for the first time isn't an every-day thing! it happens once, so when people ask how my lo is doing i might answer with "he's walking now". Several months down the line when people ask i wont still be saying "he walked yesterday" that would be bragging about ordinary everyday things as you put it.

To me that isnt bragging but to the person i tell it to might think it was - which is why i think everyone brags, some people do it on purpose, some dont.

I agree there shouldnt be a "timeline" but there is, and if your child isnt doing something by a certain age it is deemed as "late" - that doesnt mean your child isn't brainy or anything it simply means its later than the timeline.

colander Thu 02-Oct-08 00:10:56

I think they are all good at some things, and bad at others. DD1 could read before she was 3, but walked very very very late, and still rides a bike with stabilisers. DD2 can ride a bike and has fantastic speech, but hasn't a clue about potty training. How boring it would be if they were all good at everything.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Thu 02-Oct-08 00:15:58

my dd2 is less than normal. her first word was yesterday and was "owwt" <read out> im not worried she has plenty of time to catch up <she is 16 months> my nephew is the same age and has been saying loads of words for ages, my dd was stringing words together by that age. "me wanna euro" is a combo of words i remember in particular. all children are different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now