Talk

Advanced search

To not 'prepare' DH's shirts for the wash..

(21 Posts)
Thankyouandgoodnight Sun 28-Sep-08 09:59:10

He chucks them in the wash basket with sleeves rolled up, often inside out and with one sleeve in and one out kind of thing. I've asked him if he wouldn't mind not putting them in like that and he said he would try to remember but if they don't clean properly because he hasn't, then that's his problem. He has made no effort at all and I can't mention it again because he has this thing about being told what to do and wasn't that gracious the first time. I have 2 under 2 with the youngest being 2 months old so I'm often trying to slam the washing in the machine with one hand while jiggling babies and trying to get us all out of the door.

I am seriously thinking about taking him at his word and just shoving them in as they are and then drying them as they are and putting them on his chair as they afterwards - he'sll probably think they haven't been washed and shove them back in the basket....

AIBU to be petty and would it be for a good cause in the long run or a lost cause?

aGalChangedHerName Sun 28-Sep-08 10:00:44

You could show him how to use the washing machine? I did and he can load the machine as well as me now wink

andiem Sun 28-Sep-08 10:01:04

dh and I have the same argument I just put them in as they are but I don't iron them so not such a big prob for me

Hassled Sun 28-Sep-08 10:02:46

I'd just slam them in as they are. He'll get the message soon enough.

Anna8888 Sun 28-Sep-08 10:03:18

Stop washing his clothes.

I have had exactly the same struggle with my DP and my DSSs. I sat down with them one night and said that I wouldn't wash any clothes of theirs that were inside out etc. The boys' underwear had to be seen to be believed it was so vile....

wb Sun 28-Sep-08 10:04:36

Your husband knows where the was basket is?

Respect grin

NorbertDentressangle Sun 28-Sep-08 10:05:40

Its socks in this house.

They get put in the wash basket rolled up in a ball. Mightily unpleasant when you come to unroll them to put in the wash and they're still damp from sweat <<BOAK>>

Thankyouandgoodnight Sun 28-Sep-08 10:09:17

oh yes we have the sock thing too! I just leave those in a ball because somehow it seems less petty as I could easily have missed them hmm.

No ironing in this house, so I could easily do them as they are....

Thankyouandgoodnight Sun 28-Sep-08 10:10:04

He used to leave all clothes on the floor (still does) but he knows that 'if it aint in the basket, it don't get washed'.

wotsits Sun 28-Sep-08 10:10:43

YANBU
DH is on the second of three strikes. He knows he's supposed to unroll sleeves, remove pens, etc. In 11 years, I've had 2 loads of washing ruined by leaking pens. I've told him if it happens again he's doing his own laundry grin

elmoandella Sun 28-Sep-08 10:15:27

this is a wind up right??

you guys have arguements over rolled up clothes?

JUST PUT THEM IN THE MACHINE.

if he doesn't like the way they come out then he will unroll them himself.

what a stupid waste of energy.

i'm even more stupid for actually bothering to reply!

cafebistro Sun 28-Sep-08 10:23:15

I have the same problem with my DP. But he doesnt even put them in a laundry basket, just leaves them on the floor. I am also sick of unrolling cuffs and he also has an annoying habit of only undoing the first couple of buttons and pulling the shirt over his head to take it off. So I have to unbutton the bloody thing to iron it!
Im sick of telling him to be honest.

NotCod Sun 28-Sep-08 10:23:44

this is a poor thread

junkcollector Sun 28-Sep-08 10:24:03

Agree with Norbert about the socks. YUK!! Many an argument we've had.

OP I think it's very good of you to do washing at all with a 2 month old!

Doctorpuss Sun 28-Sep-08 10:25:41

Don't wash them.

I don't wash anything with stuff in pockets etc. They get emptied when there are no more clothes wink

bloomingfedup Sun 28-Sep-08 10:28:43

I think when your kids are really small everything seems such a chore! TBH I don't think its worth arguing over.smile I would just 'prepare' them and was them. Life is too short.

bubblagirl Sun 28-Sep-08 10:32:27

lol pick your arguments its not to hard to unravel clothes or empty pockets

i refuse to walk round the house finding dp clothes lol he dumps them anywhere but now due to not having his fave tops or work shirts he now places them all in wash basket to me thats enough im happy with that

if tired and stressed it feels like something major as it bugs you but dont just get on with it pick your arguments and make sure you get some you time when he comes home

Freckle Sun 28-Sep-08 10:40:19

It might not seem that much when it's only dh, but when you have dh and 3 boys all dumping their clothes in the wash in various conditions, it's a bit more of a problem.

I have given up turning their socks the right way round. They now have to do that themselves or wear them inside out, same with underpants/boxers. Solved the sleeve problem with the boys by only buying them short-sleeved shirts. If they moan and want long-sleeved, then they have to ensure sleeves are unrolled when put in the wash. If they leave the shirt buttoned up, that's how they get it back.

bubblagirl Sun 28-Sep-08 10:45:59

im the same i wash socks as they are as no way am i touching them he dont care anyway he'll wear them inside out etc

nbee84 Sun 28-Sep-08 11:16:26

Used to have the same problem with dp.

About 8 years ago we split up for about 6 months. He lived by himself and had to do his own laundry. When he moved back in I noticed that clothes were in the right way, shirt buttons undone and socks unrolled. I commented on this and he said with a shameful face that he hadn't realised how much of a pain it was until he had to do his own washing.

sarah293 Sun 28-Sep-08 11:20:18

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now