Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Well I don't think I was, but maybe I was being a bit Daily Mail Officious....

(10 Posts)
solidgoldbrass Sat 27-Sep-08 23:49:58

ONe of my current jobs is canvassing, and I was trotting round some nice sedate suburban estate today when I heard a baby crying. I then noticed that there was a car parked on a drive, with a small child (about 18 months or so) in a car seat in the back, crying - but no sign of anyone else. SO I thought, oh, someone's just run into the house with the shopping/has just had to scoot back in to pick up a forgotten Iggle Piggle or something, and carried on knocking at doors (no one was home to receive my stellar sales pitch...). However, 10 minutes later the kid was still crying and there was no sign of anyone, so I knocked on the door of the house and said very politely that there was a baby crying in the car. And the lady who answered said, oh, has he woken up, he was asleep and I was putting the shopping away, came straight out and got the child. BTW she was at least 50 years old and clearly the child's grandmother (she said, oh come to Nanna to the child, who looked healthy and well-cared for) so I think it was probably
that she came from the era when you just put babies in prams in the garden all day anyway - and this was a very nice, peaceful, almost rural estate.

And I think I did the right thing in knocking on the door (and if I hadn't been able to find anyone in the house I would have knocked on neighbours' doors and only if I couldn' raise anyone I might have called the police) but I wonder if I might have been being too overprotective or officious.

cornsilk Sat 27-Sep-08 23:51:34

I think you did the right thing.

mabanana Sat 27-Sep-08 23:51:44

No you were right to do it. The baby is a human being with rights too, and was clearly distressed. You performed a service to the baby and the grandmother.

TheCrackFox Sat 27-Sep-08 23:53:04

Of course you did the right thing. I wouldn't have been able to sleep if I had just left a baby like that. I do, however, have an over-active imagination.

solidgoldbrass Sat 27-Sep-08 23:57:06

I must admit it would have absolutely haunted me if I hadn't done something (I have a fiendish wierd imagination and was instantly thinking stuff like: abandoned/dumped baby and no one knows...) But at least it turned out fine.

littlelapin Sat 27-Sep-08 23:58:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrsruffallo Sat 27-Sep-08 23:59:06

You were right, but I don't think you should assume that everything's cool just because it's anice house in anice area etc

solidgoldbrass Sun 28-Sep-08 00:30:13

MrsR: no, that wasn't what I meant - I thought everything was OK because the woman who picked the child up was obviously affectionate to him and he was clearly not afraid of her. What I meant about the nice area was: it would be a safe area to leave a child outside: no marauding hoodie gangs/druggies/big dogs.

S1ur Sun 28-Sep-08 00:31:45

Course its right to knock on the door.

S1ur Sun 28-Sep-08 00:32:27

DM grin I think they would run screaming for your editorials - to your credit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now