Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to be a bit miffed at getting £10 in a card from the ILs for our anniversary?

(22 Posts)
tallulah Fri 26-Sep-08 17:41:20

It was our Silver Wedding anniversary this week and the ILs gave us £10 in a card like they do for the kids.

TBH I wasn't expecting to get anything but a card, but it seems such an odd thing to do. I'm not at all bothered about the amount but the lack of thought/ effort.

I've had to go and buy Silver and Golden wedding gifts and it's quite easy to find something cheap and appropriate. Chocolates in silver wrappings, a bottle of sparkling wine, a little silver picture frame, a rose called Silver Wedding. Each of these things are less than £10.

They go to the town every Wednesday, the Garden Centre every Sunday and Tesco every Thursday so would it have been asking too much for them to buy us a present?

Or is it me?

QueenBhannae Fri 26-Sep-08 17:42:51

happy anniversary smile

just send them £5 each in their christmas card...

QueenBhannae Fri 26-Sep-08 17:43:20

yanbu btw

Fimbo Fri 26-Sep-08 17:43:35

Maybe they don't know what to buy. At least you can buy what you want.

My mother bought me the most hideous vase last week for moving house (have lived here for nearly a year now but ho hum) and I didn't have the heart to say its terrible.

lulabellarama Fri 26-Sep-08 17:43:56

That does seem rather thoughtless. I think I'd rather have the card on it's own than with a tenner in it.
Are they completely with it? It just sounds like they remembered they had to send something for a special occasion and forgot what occasion it actually was.

mitfordsisters Fri 26-Sep-08 17:52:36

yabu - if you have expectations regarding what presents you get from people, then birthdays, christmases, celebrations all become a complete downer.

clumsymum Fri 26-Sep-08 18:00:54

I have to say I'd be disappointed too. A Silver is a big event, and I'd expect more effort (and unless they are struggling financially, more value) to be offered in celebration.

Are you having a 'do' at all? If not, could it be that they are showing disapproval cos you're not (which is the kind of thing my mum would do)?

DiscoDizzy Fri 26-Sep-08 18:03:17

I'm a bit more with fimbo. They perhaps didn't think you'd appreciate some silver 'stuff' from a jewellers etc or some champagne that you wouldn't drink. At least you can do what you want with it, put it towards a night out or wine etc.

belgo Fri 26-Sep-08 18:04:03

YABU. At least 10 pounds is useful.

I wouldn't expect anything, unless you invite them to a celebration. In fact many ILs wouldn't even remember an anniversary.

Minniethemoocher Fri 26-Sep-08 18:11:06

YABU - we NEVER get an anniversary card from my IL, let alone £10. I would be grateful!!!

sallystrawberry Fri 26-Sep-08 18:12:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GobbledigookisThrifty Fri 26-Sep-08 18:14:23

Hnmmm, we don't give gifts at all for anniversaries.

I think it's weird to send £10 I must admit.

luckylady74 Fri 26-Sep-08 18:14:36

Well money is crass, but it's well meant and I always find it bizarre that anyone else would remember a wedding anniversary.

LadyOfWaffle Fri 26-Sep-08 18:15:02

DH and I got the same, but that was for our 1st. But I personally would rather something that cost a penny but had thought put into it, but that's just me... YABslightlyU but I know how you feel.

SoupDragon Fri 26-Sep-08 18:15:48

YABU

Eirlys Fri 26-Sep-08 18:17:00

YABU - at least you can buy something you like. That sort of special silver wedding stuff, esp under a tenner, is often just tat.

WigWamBam Fri 26-Sep-08 18:20:10

Tis more than dh and I have ever had from my MIL for any wedding anniversary - in fact, we even paid for our own wedding present from her.

Is there any chance that they (a) forgot it was your 25th or (b) forgot it was your anniversary, and the tenner was a last-minute thing?

At least this way you're not stuck with a silver photo frame which isn't to your taste!

HereComeTheGirls Fri 26-Sep-08 18:25:21

£10 is probably a lot to them..my mum and auntie who are in their 70s regularly send £5 as a gift, if I give someone £10 they think I am spending too much!!

GordonTheGopher Fri 26-Sep-08 18:28:20

Yep old people definitely have a weird sense of monetary value. For the last 30 years my mum has always given me a birthday present "between 30 and 40 pounds". No inflation, nada.

Makes me smile.

And dh's aunt still sends him a cheque for a fiver for his birthday.

HereComeTheGirls Fri 26-Sep-08 18:30:34

Yes, my auntie has given me £15 for Xmas for at least the last ten years!!

tallulah Fri 26-Sep-08 18:30:59

I thought it was quite weird. I didn't have any expectations because I didn't expect them to give us anything at all. They couldn't have forgotten which anniversary it was as the card was a Silver Anniversary one. Perhaps they thought we didn't need any more junk?

Oh well, thanks for the responses grin

chefswife Fri 26-Sep-08 18:36:07

it is odd though that they gave you £10. simply odd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now