Talk

Advanced search

to ask dh NOT to buy the girls story cd's for xmas?

(52 Posts)
misdee Fri 26-Sep-08 10:49:44

he says they will be great for long journeys etc etc. some roald dahl ones i think the book people are offering.

i am saying no, as i didnt like story tapes as a child, would prefer to read the book myself and use my own imagination regarding voices, images etc in my head. he said he loved story tapes, but he admits himself he finds reading hard (he is dyslexic) and doesnt get the enjoyment i do from books.

dd1 is starting to enjoy reading independantly (she has struggled but is now at an age apprioate level), dd2 also reads independantly already and is ahead in her reading age ability to her chronicalogical age. i want them to enjoy books, and not just tune out whilst a cd is on.

dh reads nightly to them (atm, he is reading The Twits to them, complete with whacky voices) and they really enjoy that each night.

AIBU?

MrsSnape Fri 26-Sep-08 10:51:04

I hated them too. My kids don't listen to them either, they prefer reading themselves.

dilbertina Fri 26-Sep-08 10:59:17

YABU. Maybe he's right and they will enjoy them on long journeys...if they are cheapish why not try? I don't see that it has to be reading books OR listening to story CDs..can't it be both? I got the roald dahl set from book people - I do think it's sometimes useful on long car journeys..although my dc are younger than yours...

RubyRioja Fri 26-Sep-08 11:00:30

YABU
THEY ARE great (sorry for shouting).
I don't think they replace books but complement them.

noonki Fri 26-Sep-08 11:02:46

YABU

read and listen - great

nailpolish Fri 26-Sep-08 11:05:00

its not a book replacement
its in addition to
and YES they are good for long journeys - reading in the car makes me car sick and many other peopel i believe
dont be such a book snob
we get story cds from the library all the time and use them in the car

RubyRioja Fri 26-Sep-08 11:05:40

also good if poorly - or more than one dd wanting same story

LavenderTea Fri 26-Sep-08 11:07:38

I think you are being a little unreasonable to be honest.
Just because you didn't like story tapes, doesn't mean your dd's won't. As your dh said , he enjoyed them. Maybe also if he is dyslexic he would rather enjoy listening to the books himself to get to know what the girls are reading??

Other points I thought of to persuade you are that;
Surely a cd is rather like someone reading a story to you, like your dh reading a story at bedtime. It's great that your dd's enjoy books, but if they enjoy the cd's too then why not have both. Think of the great listening and concentration skills they will be developing. Also, It is sometimes hard to read in a car especially if the light is poor etc. i also think it would be nice for the whole family to listen to the cd's that way you all get to know the story and you can talk about it afterwards. If the girls enjoyed the cd they might then want to go on and read the book for themselves afterwards...

pigleto Fri 26-Sep-08 11:08:34

Do you not listen to plays on the radio? You are missing out. Good stories, well told, are marvellous. Oral story telling pre dates books you know.

Ds likes story tapes on his mp3 player. He also likes reading. YABU.

LavenderTea Fri 26-Sep-08 11:12:03

`good point pigleto. Radio 4 book at bedtime and afternoon plays are fab.... and it is so nice to be able to potter around doing chores and stuff and just listening.. if they were books(or TV ) then you can't read and do chores at the same time. I think listening is a good skill to develop !!

Aniyan Fri 26-Sep-08 11:12:09

Ds(8) has always enjoyed books & reading - whether on his own or me reading to him. Over the past 2 years or so he's really been getting into story CDs (Harry Potter, Dr Who , Lemony Snickett, etc), and I was a bit worried in case it turned him off reading himself as CDs are 'easier'.

But, this hasn't happened - he still reads a lot, even, sometimes, the very same books he's already heard on CD.

I can understand your concerns but, for long journeys, or occasional snuggling-up-in-bed-and-listening, I think they're fine.

WigWamBam Fri 26-Sep-08 11:12:41

As long as they don't completely replace reading or being read to, I don't see the problem. Sometimes dd likes reading or being read to, sometimes she likes to sit in peace listening to a story CD.

Why not get the tapes and the book to go along with it? Then they have the option. Nothing will replace their dad reading to them complete with whacky voices, but it doesn't hurt to have a different way of listening to stories as well.

If they hate them, then so be it. But I think you have to give them the chance to make up their own minds before writing them off completely.

Why not borrow some from the library and see how they get on?

McDreamy Fri 26-Sep-08 11:12:44

They are great esp for long journeys and esp if they want to listen to someting different.

DD got some for last Xmas with a personal cd player. We read to every day and she reads to us everyday I haven't found listening to stories on a tape/cd replaces any of this time.

DD will often put one on when she is colouring at the table - The Giggler Treatment is a fav here as well as the Roald Dahl series we have (also from the book people I think)

Cappuccino Fri 26-Sep-08 11:14:59

completely agree with naily

slayerette Fri 26-Sep-08 11:19:20

Maybe you're not being unreasonable as such, but you are being completely bonkers! We would have gone stark staring MAD on long car journeys if DS hadn't been happily listening to one of his many story CDs. OK, we have to listen to them too but actually love Alan Bennett reading Winnie the Pooh, Stephen Fry reading Paddington and Miranda Richardson reading Horrid Henry.

And surely if you object to story CDs, you also object to reading stories to your child yourself - because isn't it a similar thing? Either way, your child doesn't get to use their own imagination regarding voices, etc, in their head, which you say is your main objection to them...

<puzzled emoticon>

misdee Fri 26-Sep-08 11:22:01

hmmm maybe you are changing my mind.

i have always enjoye just reading books, and no i dont luisten to plays on the radio. i much prefer plays in theatres and the whol audio/visual experience, but thats me. i also cant stand football on the radio but will watch on tv just about.

i do worry that dd1 will just go for the cd option rather than picking up the book and reading it herself. wheras dd2 will read the back of the cereal pack just for the sake of readsing soemthing.

misdee Fri 26-Sep-08 11:23:52

slayerette, no i dont object to them being read to, as having someone in front of you readign a story is a totally different human/social interaction than putting a cd on.

slayerette Fri 26-Sep-08 11:27:36

Oh, was confused by the voices thing you said in your OP. Yes, I take your point about the human interaction thing but still maintain that they are invaluable for car journeys - when we're really not giving DS quality interaction anyway grin

Pawslikepaddington Fri 26-Sep-08 11:33:05

My dd loves them in the car-I would rather she listened to a story cd than bloody disney! And I find she will listen to roald dahl, the worst witch, alice in wonderland etc on story tape, but won't if I am reading them (she is 4), so prefers story books to be read, and "big girl" stories on cd. It doesn't mean you will stop reading to them, but I am dreadful at voices and so don't do them, so she enjoys the voices. P.S. I LOVE STEPHEN FRY READING PADDINGTON!!! Silly old Paddington is our fave phrase in this house!

loobeylou Fri 26-Sep-08 11:33:28

my DDs age 6 and 8 and son 3 all love story CDs and tapes, we have loads and get them from the library too. they make long journeys easier, better then these in car DVD players!!they do not replace us reading to them, they are extra to that.

As a teacher, I am sure listening to stories whether read by parent or on Cd encourages children to read. Both my DDs are well above their expected reading ages and they have been inspired to want to read for themselves stories they ahve heard first. It is not like watching a film then reading the book and saying "the film was different/better etc"

You can't beat Beatrix potter, Winnie the Pooh and Roald Dahl. DDs are now getting into some older classics too like E Nesbitts books, The Borrowers and Secret GArden.

they get used to concentrating more than with a DVD too and learn some of the beautiful ways of using language

so YABU, you can't beat them, I would rather buy 1000's of CDs (and books of course) than all the pink plastic tatt!!

(BTW schoollink book catalogue has really great bargains on Roald Dahl etc CD sets)

loobeylou Fri 26-Sep-08 11:40:15

and another thing, If DDs try to read in the car, they throw up!! I am still like that too, can't even read on a train!

the CDs give us a break from all the

"I need the loo"
"she poked me"
and the dreaded "are we nearly there yet" !!

though I must admit to almost going out of my mind listening to the famous 5 over and over on an 8 hr trip, it was better than the sqabbling!!

misdee Fri 26-Sep-08 11:40:59

so IABU and wil lsay yes when he puts the order in next week lol

NoblesseOblige Fri 26-Sep-08 11:42:47

YABU

i can actually understand where you are coming from, but it sounds like they will be used AS WELL AS rather thn INSTEAD OF (that wasn't shouting btw blush) reading aloud.

y dd loves them to put on after her light is out and it has boosted her interest in boosk and reading tenfold (she is 6 and at the bottom end of her classin that respect, bless her).

Miaou Fri 26-Sep-08 11:53:21

My dds are 11 and almost 10 and still love books on CD - they will quite often listen to one together whilst drawing etc then talk about the story - it's a lovely way for them to "share" smile

(glad to see you changed your mind wink)

nailpolish Fri 26-Sep-08 11:57:21

also, they ar his children as well as yours, surely he is allowed to decide he wants to buy his chidlren something

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now