Talk

Advanced search

To be furious on behalf of my friend??

(22 Posts)
TheHedgeWitch Fri 26-Sep-08 00:44:59

Message withdrawn

hana Fri 26-Sep-08 00:48:24

this happens though
I was once held for hours in a 'dentention room' after a weekend away in Prague. UK Immigration refused to believe I lived in the UK (and had done for 11 years) They were HORRID to me.

doesn't make it right of course

hana Fri 26-Sep-08 00:48:24

this happens though
I was once held for hours in a 'dentention room' after a weekend away in Prague. UK Immigration refused to believe I lived in the UK (and had done for 11 years) They were HORRID to me.

doesn't make it right of course

Desiderata Fri 26-Sep-08 00:54:07

How would you feel if there were no checks at all?

TheHedgeWitch Fri 26-Sep-08 00:57:06

Message withdrawn

PootyApplewater Fri 26-Sep-08 00:58:03

do they actually call it racial profiling and ethnic profiling?

TheHedgeWitch Fri 26-Sep-08 01:01:03

Message withdrawn

Ellbell Fri 26-Sep-08 01:03:42

Was this Immigration or Security THW. Immigration should only care about whether your friend is legally entitled to enter the country (which obviously she is as she has a UK passport). Even if they did think someone looked suspect, all they can do is alert the police. Even Immigration Officers with the power of arrest (by no means all of 'em) can only arrest people they suspect of an immigration crime.

sad for your friend if she felt victimised, though, THW.

Desiderata Fri 26-Sep-08 01:04:49

No, I agree.

Especially when the person in question comes from an island that won the George Cross.

I think the world is inhabited by some alarmingly unbright people at the moment. What we used to rely on, which was intelligence and integrity, has become a bit of a grey area these days.

I think the infestation will spread globally, but as the Brits have always been at the forefront of things, our malaise seems more acute!

I think you're right to feel cross.

slim22 Fri 26-Sep-08 01:06:25

Valid point desi, but there are ways to do this.

I am british by naturalization and a lawyer by profession.
I did not react well being held and questioned by some american white trash who could not even understand all the word of the disclaimer he read me.

I have only ever been met with courtesy at UK customs though.

I think most of them are just doing their job and realise they must sift through an awful lot of "good" citizens to spot the odd criminal.
It's the same for any police investigation where there is profiling, be it racial or other.

Desiderata Fri 26-Sep-08 01:08:58

Good post, slim.

wehaveallbeenthere Fri 26-Sep-08 01:24:08

BS. Yes slim the US customs and CIA and the Security are incompetent. There are examples of this abroad. In the UK too.
I was in OKC when the Federal building was blown up. I had a friend in D.C. at the time of the D.C. sniper. I have Pakistani relations.
Just what does a "terrorist" look like? Let me clue you...he looks like you, me...our neighbors, anyone.
The men who blew up the Twin Towers were known about. They (the CIA and other) just didn't share the information and the men who took over the planes and flew them...some were with a US pilots license. Why? Because again, information wasn't shared. They were "known" terrorists.
People are jumping at shadows in these times and innocent people get harrassed and die because of it.
You are right to be upset, without a doubt and I would persue a suit if you could.
Racial profiling, ethnic profiling...it doesn't put a face to terrorism.

wehaveallbeenthere Fri 26-Sep-08 01:28:35

I could go on but unfortunately, I have a child to feed. I will be back later. angry

wehaveallbeenthere Fri 26-Sep-08 01:45:02

Okay, toasted cheese sandwich and a glass of juice. She missed the roast chicken at dinner. Now, where were we?
Oh yes...where the hell is Osama Bin Laden? He took credit for the Twin Towers. So what do we do when we can't catch him? We invade Iraq and make an example of Saddam Hussein. Oh yes, it's not like the US couldn't have taken him out in the Gulf War. Yes, sarcasm.
The Bush Admin has made the US a mess and the economy is still suffering from 9/11 and other FU's. It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better but still, the only ones getting hurt are a lot of innocent people...people of every race, and every ethnicity. Okay...time to breath before I pass out from this subject. Going to another thread.

mayorquimby Fri 26-Sep-08 09:52:20

"I did not react well being held and questioned by some american white trash who could not even understand all the word of the disclaimer he read me"

a bit rich to use the phrase "white trash" in a thread about racial profiling.

mumof2222222222222222boys Fri 26-Sep-08 10:02:08

Years ago (probably 1992ish) a friend of mine was stopped at Dover having been on holiday with his parents in France. He is British and sounds as British as teh Queen. He was then a law student at Oxford. He was held and strip searched including an internal. I was shocked at the time (still am). Suspect they were looking for drugs...and despite his educational background, he has quite dark colouring.

Upwind Fri 26-Sep-08 10:05:57

I don't know about this, some profiling seems sensible, I would hate to think of my elderly grandmother being harassed because they could not be seen to be profiling due to racism/sexism/ageism.

I am sure that at the height of the troubles in Northern Ireland, many Irish people were treated as suspected terrorists, some of them wrongly. Is it more wrong to do this with people from e.g. Saudi?

mayorquimby Fri 26-Sep-08 10:10:54

"I am sure that at the height of the troubles in Northern Ireland, many Irish people were treated as suspected terrorists, some of them wrongly"

if you replace the word "some" with "absolutely all irish" then you'd be spot on.
unfortunately racial profile is a necessary and useful evil in modern policing. the downside is when police/security use this as a jumping off point but at no point introduce common sense to the equation. or when the racial profle is wrong and it sends the police on a wild goose chase allowing the actual culprit to remain at large e.g. the washington sniper all those years ago.

Upwind Fri 26-Sep-08 10:30:05

mayorquimby, I just noticed how badly I worded that, I did not intend to suggest that many Irish people were terrorists!

It should be:

"at the height of the troubles in Northern Ireland, many Irish people were treated as suspected terrorists, some many of them wrongly"

mayorquimby Fri 26-Sep-08 10:35:10

haha oh no i didn't mean that at all. i quoted you wrongly it turns out.
i meant to imply that "all irish people" not "many" were treated like terrorists.
instead i used the word "some" from the end of your quote by accident.

i didn't take any negative connotation from you saying "some of them wrongly" and assume that by that you meant "only some of those micks were accussed wrongly,the rest we had bang to rights."

apology for the near brush with an inter-british isles race war

Upwind Fri 26-Sep-08 10:41:51

no - I read what I had written and was blush at my own stupidity, see I think I don't have a racist bone in my body, but can still come out with such stupidity - I can't really see why airport security staff should be expected to be perfect all the time...

vjg13 Fri 26-Sep-08 11:24:29

On a flight from Boston to Bermuda my family were selected as security risks as we didn't have US passports. We had to board the plane before our luggage and it was covered in massive stickers.

It was myself, husband and 3 year old with special needs and our honeymoonangry.

Also pre 9/11

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now