Talk

Advanced search

To really really hate the school run

(63 Posts)
staranise Thu 25-Sep-08 19:14:37

Excuse moan but...

DD1 has started school - she's settling in well and I hate it. Feels like I'm now trapped in a daily horrid commute that mainly consists of cajoling two (4 year old and 2 year old) tired grumpy hungry children across busy roads, on and off buses, carrying bags of stuff, standing around in cold playgorounds etc etc. Took me nearly 2 hours (!!)to collect DD and get home again and we're only about than a mile from the school. Can't believe I've got years and years of this ahead of me.

I know I'm BU, but am just hating it. can I blame being heavily pg for grumpiness?

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Thu 25-Sep-08 19:15:46

mighten i be quicker and easier walking than on and off buses?

Pawslikepaddington Thu 25-Sep-08 19:16:53

God so do I-I was tempted to go in today and say she wouldn't be attending anymore as I just can't take it (I didn't, obviously!). Our problem isn't the getting home (I can manage the hanging aroung), it's the getting there-I cannot take it any more!! Everyone else seems fine though and it makes one feel so inadequate!!

67Impala Thu 25-Sep-08 19:17:00

I personally don't think YBU as I hate it as well. My kids are the same age as yours and I feel like I'm fighting them twice a day. I know I'll get used to it but at the mo I dread it.

nametaken Thu 25-Sep-08 19:19:19

How come it took you 2 hours to travel one mile? Tell us more maybe we can help.

The school run is here to stay I'm afraid. kids have to be taken to school and you'll be doing this for another 15 years

Overmydeadbody Thu 25-Sep-08 19:19:27

Why is it taking you so long?

Is there another parent who lives near you? You could take it in turns to do the school run maybe? I do this with one of DS's friends, sometimes I collect her on the way and pick her up at home time, sometimes her parents pick up DS or drop him off.

Overmydeadbody Thu 25-Sep-08 19:20:09

yes I'm sure we can help you find a quicker way.

How about a bike with a trailer?

CarGirl Thu 25-Sep-08 19:20:16

It's sounds like you may as well walk, dds go to a school that it 0.9 mile away and with dds using scooters and youngest one doing a combination of running and sitting in the pushchair it takes 25 mins max.

staranise Thu 25-Sep-08 19:20:24

we walk sometimes, get the bus sometimes, depends on weather/the time/how tired the kids are, whether i need the buggy etc. plus walk not particularly nice as along busy road. hate it hate it. tell me it gets better!

CarGirl Thu 25-Sep-08 19:21:31

YOur eldest one will get less tired. Honestly scooter for older one decent pushchair for younger one and walk, it is less stressful tbh.

nametaken Thu 25-Sep-08 19:22:03

What about learning to drive, would that make it any easier.

Pawslikepaddington Thu 25-Sep-08 19:23:29

Or bikes-bikes work well too to get them going.

CarGirl Thu 25-Sep-08 19:24:28

nametaken shock

It's only a mile by the time you have strapped 2 (soon to be 3) children in the car got the out at the other end, got buggy out etc believe it's only about 5 mins quicker - not to mention the fight for parking places!

Pawslikepaddington Thu 25-Sep-08 19:24:38

And also saying "if you get to that lamppost you can have a chocolate lime" and so on! God I hope she never tells her teachers she gets chocolate limes at 8.45am blush

MrsBadger Thu 25-Sep-08 19:25:57

if it's a mile walk it, do not bus and certainly do not drive

scooter
snacks
always take pushchair to hang bags on
try different route eg parallel but less busy street

staranise Thu 25-Sep-08 19:26:22

Two hours for total getting there and back, - admittedly with a lot of dawdling etc and it is normally quicker, say an hour, esp. with scooter. But it's uphill, DD is v tired, the roads are v busy as three schools are vclose together so it's chaotic etc.

will definitely be looking to share it, jsut that my friends who live close (there's not many as we're relatively far away for this area) all have 2+ kids (and I'll have three soon) so it's difficult to lump them with more.

Sorry, not really looking for solutions, jsut a more positive mental attitude! Am sure not being pg will help )

nametaken Thu 25-Sep-08 19:29:58

It doesn't matter how many kids you've got when you share the school run because only the children that actually go to school need to go on the school run

Unless it's your turn, obviously, and you have to take all yours with you

IFSWIM

CarGirl Thu 25-Sep-08 19:30:07

See it as a keep fit exercise. At least with the noise from the road it drowns out their moaning!

I give mine rice cakes and breadsticks after school, nothing too sugary but lifts their blood sugar levels and doesn't fill them up too much and put them off their tea.

MarlaSinger Thu 25-Sep-08 19:30:10

I don't understand how a two mile round trip could take anyone two hours? When did you leave for school? when did you leave for the return? How long each way? How????

<baffled>

psychomum5 Thu 25-Sep-08 19:30:23

YANBU, especially being pregnant. everything is harder when you are pregnant!!

it will get easier as you get used to it, as will the children.

and once you have baby, it will be easier again.

staranise Thu 25-Sep-08 19:36:01

left at 2.30, arrived early at 3ish, DD1 out late at 3.20, walked at 2 year old's pace to bus stop, waited for bus, got off one stop early and walked up hill, home at 4.20.

Difficult for me to use a buggy daily at the moment because of pg and sciatica, hence v slow walking and hanging around for buses. Mornings are easier as girls less tired and it's downhill. we leave at 8.15 to arrive in time for 8.50 bell.

but i still hate it. and it hasn't even rained yet.

MarlaSinger Thu 25-Sep-08 19:37:57

friday tomorrow, hold that thought! I'd prescribe cake.

nooka Thu 25-Sep-08 19:38:05

Do your local friends have older or younger children? If they are younger might it be possible for the one not getting into school to look after all the pre school kids? That way there are advantages all round.

Overmydeadbody Thu 25-Sep-08 19:39:06

Your kids will get fitter and quicker at it, and you'll fall into a routine.

Have a snack that they can eat on the way home from school to stop them being tired and hungry, and to distract them while walking. Raisins are good as packed with sugars. As are bananas.

Use bikes, scooters and buggies.

Start enquiring at the school gates if any of the other parents live near you and you can share.

giraffescantdancethetango Thu 25-Sep-08 19:39:37

Think of all the wonderful things you can get on with when older dc is at school

Any other mums you could walk with? Makes the walk more intersting and I think kids walk better with their friends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now