Talk

Advanced search

(I know I am but bear with me...) for wanting my keys back?

(10 Posts)
Simplysally Thu 25-Sep-08 16:54:49

I am a previous MN-er but have name-changed.

I let my bf have the keys to my flat a few months ago. After a row, I posted my keys to his flat back to him and asked for mine but they didn't materialise. We then had a reconciliation for a while, I asked for his flat keys back again as he still had possession of mine but no joy and it's gone tits up again. I've asked for my keys back for the last couple of weeks. He still refuses to return my keys to me despite umpteen texts, emails and now I've finally written a letter formally requesting them from him - I know it'll have little legal impact but morally it just might.

I've actually given up on him sending my keys back and am having the locks changed as I don't think he'd jib at just letting himself in if he took the fancy to but I still need/want the keys to return to the landlord (if/when) I leave my flat. AIBU? They're not his keys and were loaned to him in good faith. Never again!!

lizandlulu Thu 25-Sep-08 16:57:43

if you have the locks changed why do you have to give the originals back to the landlord?

Simplysally Thu 25-Sep-08 16:59:35

They've asked me to keep the original lock so they'd presumably want the keys that go with it.

StayFrosty Thu 25-Sep-08 17:00:16

Yeah, like L and L says, just get the locks changed and give the landlord however many sets they originally gave you when you leave. What a PITA though.....

StayFrosty Thu 25-Sep-08 17:04:31

Sorry, x posts, if they want the original lock, just give them your key, they can have another one cut if they want to reuse the lock, but tis not really a good idea; what if you were having the locks changed because you'd had your bag nicked with keys in? Not very good landlord practise giving tenents a lock that they know random strangers have a key to; my friend was robbed by the junkie ex tenants of her house who just let themselves in with the keys they'd not given back. Horrible

Simplysally Thu 25-Sep-08 17:06:57

I was told by my agency that lots of people change locks on rented places... I can see why now .

I think I'll just hand the lock over with the old keys and they can do what they want with it. Perhaps they're thinking I'm going to take the lock with me when I go...? Odd.

armarda Thu 25-Sep-08 17:08:10

StayFrosty - are you suggesting the locks should be changed every time there is a chain in tenants? Because I've never come across that either as a tenant or landlord. Also SS should let landlord have a new key now in case of emergencies etc.

StayFrosty Thu 25-Sep-08 17:19:33

Armarda, only if all the keys aren't accounted for. In the case I mention, the ex tenants had been kicked out because they were bad tenants and didn't pay the rent, were very obviously total junkies etc, so I think it was massively remiss of the landlord not to change the locks when they hung on to their keys. My friend was actually in the shower when they let themselves in, she didn't hear them and walked out to find them in her bedroom helping themselves to her stuff. She was very very shaken by the experience, and it could have been easily avoided if the landlord had spent a few quid on a new lock.

StayFrosty Thu 25-Sep-08 17:20:52

..tis just common sense really no? I would change the locks in a heartbeat if I thought some random person had a key to my flat, whther I knew they were dodgy or not.

wehaveallbeenthere Thu 25-Sep-08 17:41:15

Simplysally, if you cannot retrieve the keys from him then change your locks. Make a copy of your key to turn in if you change apartments.
Perhaps you can get a deadbolt put on also? If this guy hasn't given you your keys back (don't want to hear the excuses) he may have made copies already.
You don't want him giving the key to your place to someone else to "get even" with you either. Change your locks pronto!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now